R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-29-2022, 09:12 AM   #2751
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pqbrown View Post
I've got catless dp's, resonated eq, and a an AA 3 can. Just can't figure out loading videos on this site.
You need to upload it on youtube, then post the link here

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 07:15 PM   #2752
M3ZCPNYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntoshMotorSports View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ZCPNYC View Post
No cats here and it sounds amazing
What brand? I was running ARM's resonated catless for awhile before switching it up
Fabspeed
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 07:29 PM   #2753
Rolynyari620
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335I N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing View Post
6+ Month daily driven Update:

I've had the AA EL midpipe - non resonated - on my car now for 6+ months and wanted to give everyone an update.

Positives:

-The Sound past 4.5k rpm is just awesome. Sometimes I'll just rev out the gears without going WOT so that I can hear the I-6 wail! It sounds so nice and makes the car sound so much better than stock! I also have a valve controller, and run the exhaust open sometimes, and as long as the exhaust has warmed up (3-5 minutes of driving), there is no resonance or rasp all the way from 2k to redline.

Negatives:

-Cold start rasp - It doesn't seem to happen every time, but when I cold start the car, I will get some really horrible resonance/rattle/rasp after the engine roar has settled down and the car is in cold start mode (around 1.5k rpms). It sounds like a civic and can be really embarrassing as I can't lower the rpms to make it go away. If I open the valves, it's even louder and worse. I also can't have the valves open when the car is cold (first 3-5 minutes) and EGT temps are below 550-600 degrees or i'll get low rpm resonance that starts from 2k-3k - especially if I'm giving it more than 50% throttle. I've checked the mid pipe and its not actually hitting anything; I think it's just a resonance coming through. I've thought about getting the resonated pipes, but then I'd miss the wail at redline!

Still an awesome piece and something I will not be getting rid of anytime soon!
This is exactly my problem, I thought I was the only one that had it this bad. I'm literally embarrassed to cold start the car. I love the equal length non-res "AFTER" the first 3 minutes. It sounds like my muffler (ZCP) is going to rattle right off of the car. My god, I hope someone finds fix for this...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 12:44 AM   #2754
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolynyari620 View Post
This is exactly my problem, I thought I was the only one that had it this bad. I'm literally embarrassed to cold start the car. I love the equal length non-res "AFTER" the first 3 minutes. It sounds like my muffler (ZCP) is going to rattle right off of the car. My god, I hope someone finds fix for this...
Try having a titanium trumpet called the MPE, I ripped out my piggyback and ordered a BM3 tune just hours after installation of my EL simply to delete the cold start sequence.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00

Last edited by Kilabyte; 04-14-2022 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
Finz97.00
      04-15-2022, 03:30 PM   #2755
rosemont83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 turbo, E39 M5,

Does anyone have stock DP, AA Resonated EL, and switchpath V2?

Ordered the switchpath but wondering if I should get the AA, if that would do anything with this muffler
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 10:00 PM   #2756
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

laughing at comments that recommend to keep valves closed up to 4k to cover embrassing sound lol ( while paying 1300-1500$ to fix the sound problem, also while waiting 3-4 months for delivery)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 03:06 PM   #2757
TimmyM56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 SSII/SO 6SPD

I've had my EL midpipe for over a year and the only "embarrassing" sound is during a cold start, and no cold start ever sounds good. If there are any rattles, it has to be an installation problem for sure.

Definitely less embarrassing than other options that exacerbate the horrible sounding S55 engine.
      04-16-2022, 03:13 PM   #2758
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

^Agreed

Meanwhile you still have people that think this sounds remotely good

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 1
TimmyM56243.00
      04-16-2022, 07:39 PM   #2759
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyM56 View Post
I've had my EL midpipe for over a year and the only "embarrassing" sound is during a cold start, and no cold start ever sounds good. If there are any rattles, it has to be an installation problem for sure.

Definitely less embarrassing than other options that exacerbate the horrible sounding S55 engine.
my cold start sounds extremely good tbh, pure old school v8. just growls. i have 4 resonators all around, two in single mid and 2 in downpipes.

I thibk before throwing 1500 into this you should try resonated single mid pipes. especially cold start and low rpms are very good
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 08:29 PM   #2760
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

I have ARM resonated dp's with EL resonated midpipe, stock non zcp muffler. Very tame with valves closed, raspy when valves open
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 01:44 AM   #2761
Slo_F80_Mike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 (MW SO, 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapster37 View Post
I have ARM resonated dp's with EL resonated midpipe, stock non zcp muffler. Very tame with valves closed, raspy when valves open
This is what I was trying to find sound clips on and possibly run. How raspy? I'm on stock dp and muffler with non res EL midpipe. I heard f80ho's arm resonated dp with non res EL on stock muffler and that was just too raspy imo.
Appreciate 1
mapster37368.00
      05-01-2022, 05:56 AM   #2762
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo_F80_Mike View Post
This is what I was trying to find sound clips on and possibly run. How raspy? I'm on stock dp and muffler with non res EL midpipe. I heard f80ho's arm resonated dp with non res EL on stock muffler and that was just too raspy imo.
I was in the same boat as you trying to.find sound clips. Drone present from 2500-3000rpms. Ill run it for a while and may switch to non res dp's in the future....
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 08:45 AM   #2763
SilverLakeM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hi all, does anyone else notice more exhaust back pressure with the AA EL vs OE?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 09:46 AM   #2764
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloriderkm View Post
Hi all, does anyone else notice more exhaust back pressure with the AA EL vs OE?
Yep, that's why I took it off. I lost a good amount on the dyno jet (top end).
      05-04-2022, 10:35 AM   #2765
SilverLakeM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82.959 View Post
Quote:
Yep, that's why I took it off. I lost a good amount on the dyno jet (top end).
I wonder if this is why they don't publish the dyno result online. Thanks for your reply!

Follow up question for you. Did you notice a bump in power at the low or mid end?
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2022, 10:59 AM   #2766
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
I'm keen to know how you would know or measure this?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 11:33 AM   #2767
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
I wonder if this is why they don't publish the dyno result online. Thanks for your reply!

Follow up question for you. Did you notice a bump in power at the low or mid end?
They actually do highlight it's low end improvement over stock:
  • Lighter weight than factory system
  • Quicker turbo spool
  • Increased low end and mid-range power
  • Equal length design eliminates the pulsing sound caused by the unequal length down pipes

I noticed nothing but better sound in the higher RPM range and a lot of buzziness/rasp with unfortunate power loss across the entire RPM range. Dyno showed me consistent loss, I removed them after a week. I think they're great for OEM+ or S1 maps and that's about it.
      05-04-2022, 01:23 PM   #2768
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
  • Quicker turbo spool
  • Equal length design eliminates the pulsing sound caused by the unequal length down pipes

I noticed nothing but better sound in the higher RPM range and a lot of buzziness/rasp with unfortunate power loss across the entire RPM range. Dyno showed me consistent loss, I removed them after a week. I think they're great for OEM+ or S1 maps and that's about it.
I think you need to clarify when you post here that you are running aftermarket turbos. All your posts imply that these issues (sound & performance) will impact the vast majority of people who run OE turbos and no tune.

veloriderkm Consider EL as a sound only mod. If you’re running stock power levels then back pressure is not an issue since it’s already being regulated by the turbos. It’s slightly more restrictive when you’re running an aggressive tune or aftermarket turbos where you need a high flow or catless DP.
      05-04-2022, 01:24 PM   #2769
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:
  • Quicker turbo spool

I think you need to clarify when you post here that you are running aftermarket turbos. All your posts imply that these issues (sound & performance) will impact the vast majority of people who run OE turbos and no tune.
Lost power on stock turbos too.
      05-04-2022, 01:45 PM   #2770
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No one is losing or gaining significant power at stock power levels with just a mid pipe. You’re situation is a bit isolated given you’ve been tuning for a lot of power… that’s just not relevant to the majority of people who just want to change the sound and why it’s important for either you or others to make it clear you are very far from a stock setup. Both from a power and sound perspective.
mapster37368.00
      05-04-2022, 01:54 PM   #2771
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:
No one is losing or gaining significant power at stock power levels with just a mid pipe. You're situation is a bit isolated given you've been tuning for a lot of power… that's just not relevant to the majority of people who just want to change the sound and why it's important for either you or others to make it clear you are very far from a stock setup. Both from a power and sound perspective.
No, there's power loss on every configuration.

Stock turbo, aftermarket turbo, stock tune; S1 - S whatever. They are even marketed as such. The verbiage they chose is very specific, they're not going to advertise they're cutting top end power but it actually does. Show me a dyno that says otherwise. Stock power band for these turbos is in the high rpm range, these pipes squeeze the lungs a bit in that realm. Period.

I didn't not waste my time dynoing I'm not here with an abundance of free time but I'm here with experience on a F80/F82 with different setups and tunes and I can guarantee that the only benefit for these things is a short window or eargasmic bliss in a small upper rpm window. That's it.

Firmest sucks, you lose power, they're overpriced. Oh and when you're not signing in that pretty high rpm note it just sounds like a civic SI.

I really, really wished they were worth it, but they're just a hype buy I waited way too long for. Again s1 or oem plus owner might like it for aesthetic reasons with minimal notice of any power loss on the butt dyno.
      05-04-2022, 02:04 PM   #2772
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No, there's power loss on every configuration.

Stock turbo, aftermarket turbo, stock tune; S1 - S whatever. They are even marketed as such. The verbiage they chose is very specific, they're not going to advertise they're cutting top end power but it actually does. Show me a dyno that says otherwise. Stock power band for these turbos is in the high rpm range, these pipes squeeze the lungs a bit in that realm. Period.

I didn't not waste my time dynoing I'm not here with an abundance of free time but I'm here with experience on a F80/F82 with different setups and tunes and I can guarantee that the only benefit for these things is a short window or eargasmic bliss in a small upper rpm window. That's it.

Firmest sucks, you lose power, they're overpriced. Oh and when you're not signing in that pretty high rpm note it just sounds like a civic SI.
Dude we get it, you like your setup - go start a single mid / big power build thread instead of spamming this one while not disclosing your significant modifications until after you are backed into a corner. That’s been your MO over the last year or so.

I’m not here to argue with you and you self admittedly have no dynos to back up your assertions. I actually think your feedback is relevant to some people, just not to the average buyer that just wants their car to not sound like a lawn mower.