Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
The Track, Aftermarket Tunes & Heat..... Anybody Done Any Independent Data Analysis?

Doing some searching in this forum it appears that more and more people are successfully tracking their F8X cars with aftermarket tunes and modest engine modifications (i.e. drop in air filters, charge pipes, etc). By successfully, I am primarily talking about keeping engine and transmission temps under control, and keeping IATs low (enough to not pull timing excessively under track conditions due to the increased heat load). And many have commented on how robust BMW made the cooling system on the F8X to handle temps at the track, with or without a tune. The aftermarket tunes I am referring to are the typical Stage I & II offerings from different vendors, which all appear to produce similar increases in HP & TQ (I am referring to the 91/93 octane pump gas tunes, not the E85/methanol tunes out there now).

However, I am curious if any of the track rats out there with aftermarket tunes and data logging capability have analyzed any track temperature data of tuned vs OEM (oil temp, coolant temp, IATs, HX coolant temp, etc). My experience with OEM gauges are that they are not very accurate and will "filter" or "average" the actual temperature signal coming from the temperature sender. And I have no reason to think the OEM oil temp gauge in the F8X performs any differently (but someone in the know correct me if I am wrong). But I am curious about how much are the aftermarket tunes eating into the temperature "margin" built into the cooling system, even though the oil temp gauge stays in the "normal" temp range. This includes IATs and other temperature parameters for which we don't have a stock gauge in the car.

Anybody willing to share their experience and some of your data to show it?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
vasi_M3115.50