Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

seat memory buttons

Anybody know if the memory buttons on the seats can store seat position independent of either key fobs or profiles?

The reason I'm asking is this...

My wife always misplaces her keys so she grabs mine. Because of that, I've programmed the car to ask for the driver profile when started. This works for the most part, but...

When I let somebody else drive the car, if they make seat adjustments prior to starting the car or choosing the [guest] profile (they almost always do), those seat adjustments are stored in the profile of the last driver. This is always me. I then have to readjust the seat under my profile.

If the memory buttons can store positions separate from the profiles/fobs, then I can have my seat position as a backup for when mine gets messed up by somebody else.

Anybody know if I can make this work?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 01:51 AM   #2
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

I'm working from memory because I don't have the car with me now. However, I believe you can turn on/off the option to remember the last used seat position. If that is off, it should default to your profile, unless people have actually reset the seat memory.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
crashtestdummy81
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: YMB F83

Both memory buttons should have the capability to store a seat position for each profile.
Also unless people are going out of their way to store the position after adjusting the seat then the memory button should return the seat to it's stored position for the profile in use. Sometimes you need only to press the button briefly for the seat to move fully, sometimes it needs to be held until the seat stops moving, this is dependant on whether the door is open and ignition position. The only exception is with the lumbar support and side bolsters which have no facility for the position to be stored in any memory setting.

Not really sure as to the exact extent of your problem but I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtestdummy81 View Post
Both memory buttons should have the capability to store a seat position for each profile.
Also unless people are going out of their way to store the position after adjusting the seat then the memory button should return the seat to it's stored position for the profile in use. Sometimes you need only to press the button briefly for the seat to move fully, sometimes it needs to be held until the seat stops moving, this is dependant on whether the door is open and ignition position. The only exception is with the lumbar support and side bolsters which have no facility for the position to be stored in any memory setting.

Not really sure as to the exact extent of your problem but I hope this helps.
This does help. Thank you. So it seems that each profile has three stored seating positions. These are:

1. The current/last seat position
2. Memory button 1 position
3. Memory button 2 position

I'm assuming that if I use memory button 1 to recall a seat position, this will make positions 1 & 2 (above) identical as the current/last seat position is always stored in the user profile. Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
crashtestdummy81
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: YMB F83

I hadn't thought about current position being stored but it would make sense as there is the option to automatically set the seat to the last position when changing profiles, unless this actually reverts to the last selected memory for that profile.

I would also say that your final assumption is correct.

Something else which has just popped into my head is that the profiles can be exported to a USB stick for back up or transfer to another vehicle, whether this includes the seat position memories I do not know as the manual only says that "most" of the profile information can be saved
Appreciate 0