Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
SanFranSoxFan
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp

Windows Phone 8 users?

First off, I dont want to hear "Micro$oft Sucks", "get an iPhone LOL". I've owned them all and this is by far the best phone and mobile OS in my opinion, but my needs are different then others.

That being said, is anybody besides me using WP8 with their F8x ? My M3 wont arrive until mid-January but I was able to pair my phone and control some aspects of it with the floor model M3.

I am wondering if it may be possible to pair my Windows Phone via BLuetooth to make and receive calls...But also keep an iPod Shuffle connected via USB for BMW apps like Spotify and Pandora. I could setup the iPod to share the LTE hotspot on my phone in theory.

I also want to figure the best way to play lossless files as well as stream music from the TIDAL service.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Just go get the iphone.

12-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

+1 for Windows Phone!!!

I can't wait until the new flagship comes out next year. I'm guessing it will be here along with W10.

I do not yet have an M car so I can't really help you out with your specific questions.

One solution I am going to try out is using one of the cheap Lumia phones to stream audio from the glovebox. I will just leave it in there as you are doing with your ipod. You can pick up the 6 series phones unlocked for $50 or so right now.

I'm going to subscribe to this thread to see what pans out. I can also ping the Windows Phone team to see if they have any input.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
MoxieMoxie
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I've had my Win Phone connected to my M3 for a few months now and it works flawlessly. Phone, Contacts, Pandora, Xbox music, Send to BMW app for inputting addresses, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
ilyabu
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible (on order)

Works super well

Same here, using a Lumia 830 with WP8.1 and it works super well, for speech / Cortana, Xbox music streaming, music apps, and anything else I can't think of right now :-) Actually, it works a bit better after the last update BMW did at the 1200 mile service for my M3, which I got them to do by complaining that my BT connection wasn't working well (just because I knew from the forums that they had newer SW modules available).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 04:30 AM   #6
SanFranSoxFan
Noob
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replys everyone. So what exactly are we missing. Obviously Bluetooth audio and phone will work, stoked about using Cortana. But am I correct in understanding that with an iPhone or Android we could browse spotify and pandora lists on iDrive?
I would also be interested in hearing from anyone that uses the Office features with a supported phone.

By the way, I am using my original Black Lumia 920 that I got on release day over 2yrs ago. It has no screen protector or case, I've dropped it in the parking lot many times and the phone still looks amazing, minor scuffs on the corners from the falls, no cracks or heavy scratches.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I can't test this out since I don't have my car out but wanted to paste it in here for you guys. Can you get to Cortana w/o using the below method?

If your car has Bluetooth and a button on the steering wheel to trigger your vehicles voice dialing, there’s a way to have that button trigger Cortana for voice dialing and other Cortana features (directions, reminders, teasing Siri, etc.). To do so, simply add a contact named ‘Cortana’ with the phone number: 555-555-9876. Then, when you want to trigger Cortana with a paired Windows Phone, simply press your car’s voice dial button and say ‘Call Cortana’ and it should trigger the Cortana prompt.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
elbweb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
I can't test this out since I don't have my car out but wanted to paste it in here for you guys. Can you get to Cortana w/o using the below method?

If your car has Bluetooth and a button on the steering wheel to trigger your vehicles voice dialing, there’s a way to have that button trigger Cortana for voice dialing and other Cortana features (directions, reminders, teasing Siri, etc.). To do so, simply add a contact named ‘Cortana’ with the phone number: 555-555-9876. Then, when you want to trigger Cortana with a paired Windows Phone, simply press your car’s voice dial button and say ‘Call Cortana’ and it should trigger the Cortana prompt.
I have the Lumia ICON (930) for use in my M4. I am not sure if this is a result of the coding I've done (I can't remember exactly what I've changed there, but I vaguely remember that I did something relating to an 'iPhone'. Right now, if I tap the voice button on my steering wheel, it'll use the BMW voice recognition. If I hold the button (maybe 2 seconds, something about there) it'll show a 'Voice Input' screen and Cortana will be activate (same beep I get when I use a different bluetooth headset and tap the button when I'm not in a call).
      01-11-2015, 12:44 AM   #9
SanFranSoxFan
Noob
United_States
Rep

Picked up my car yesterday and this is what I have found so far.

Bluetooth connection tested only. Contacts came over, Cortana works (with 2s press & hold) Calls are OK but the quality should be better in my opinion.

The next thing I tried was taking an iPad 2, and connecting it via USB. I then used the BMW Connected App to access Spotify, Pandora, Facebook and Calendar. The iPad was using my windows phone as a mobile hotspot.

It worked, but not totally reliable when going in/out of the car. Sometimes the iPad would not pickup the hotspot connection, or some other issue.

Considering adding an iPad Mini Cellular or Android tablet 4G LTE to keep stashed in the glove. Could also just add another line with an entry level phone that will never leave the car.

COme to think of it, I never tried connecting my Windows Phone via USB. don't think that will change anything but I'll try it.
Connecting via USB allows me to play music stored ON the phone, which is very little, I mostly stream. It gave me the option to play stored/recorded videos but playback wasn't happening really (don't know if it was the fact they were recorded in 1080p)

Last edited by SanFranSoxFan; 01-11-2015 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 03:49 AM   #10
farishat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 330i ZHP, 2024 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranSoxFan View Post
First off, I dont want to hear "Micro$oft Sucks", "get an iPhone LOL". I've owned them all and this is by far the best phone and mobile OS in my opinion, but my needs are different then others.

That being said, is anybody besides me using WP8 with their F8x ? My M3 wont arrive until mid-January but I was able to pair my phone and control some aspects of it with the floor model M3.

I am wondering if it may be possible to pair my Windows Phone via BLuetooth to make and receive calls...But also keep an iPod Shuffle connected via USB for BMW apps like Spotify and Pandora. I could setup the iPod to share the LTE hotspot on my phone in theory.

I also want to figure the best way to play lossless files as well as stream music from the TIDAL service.
did it work?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 08:20 AM   #11
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Who works for MSFT on this thread = )
      01-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #12
SanFranSoxFan
Noob
United_States
Rep

I don't work for Microsoft, never have. None of my friends or family do either which sucks because I would love a discount.

Yes I was able to have an iPad or iPhone connected via USB and use the connected Apps (spotify, Pandora, etc) AND at the same time have my Windows Phone paired Bluetooth for making and receiving calls or streaming music.

Recently I also tried loading some 24/96 FLAC files from HDTracks to the built in hard drive, that's a nice feature for high resolution music. I have a 120gb Sata3 SSD sitting on my desk doing nothing, maybe I will load it with music and movies and put it in the car.

I wish there was another USB in the glove so I could have the external hard drive and iPhone/iPad/Android connected at same time for Apps.
Appreciate 0