Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
peppylepeu
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Memory Seats / Profiles

Anyone know how this is supposed to work? In the manual, it seems the seat position should change with the driver profile (key) but that doesn't seem to be the case. Yet when you change the driver profile manually in the car, it warns you to be stationary as seat position may change. But it doesn't. Of course I can set the memory seats but would be really nice if it would default to the profile settings based on the key being used and eliminate more settings being changed once in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppylepeu View Post
Anyone know how this is supposed to work? In the manual, it seems the seat position should change with the driver profile (key) but that doesn't seem to be the case. Yet when you change the driver profile manually in the car, it warns you to be stationary as seat position may change. But it doesn't. Of course I can set the memory seats but would be really nice if it would default to the profile settings based on the key being used and eliminate more settings being changed once in the car.
????

Mine change with the key being used.
      01-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #3
Tarzan
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

Locking the door w the key fob should save those settings to that key.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

Quote:
The two buttons on the seat control seat and mirror positions (not lumbar support and back width though). The #1 and #2 buttons are stored as part of the key profile, so 2 positions per key can be stored.

For automatically retrieving the last key settings, you have to have the correct settings enabled in iDrive. Go into "Settings", "Doors/Key" and enable "Last Seat Position Autom."
Gone: 2015 F80 M3 - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
Aziego
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330, 2023 X5, 2023 i4

Do you have to unlock the car for the last seat memory to activate? I leave my car unlocked in the garage and for the few times my wife drive the car it never worked for her either.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #6
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Quote:
When you have the seat , steering wheel, ambient lighting, etc... Set to your liking, you still have to save those settings by pressing the set button on the left of your seat then one of the number buttons to save the profile. After that, it should recognize what key fob you used when you set it. Make sure you don't have both key fobs in the cabin. Did you do that? I have to admit, we just bought a new X5 and I had to do that 2 or 3 times before it took.
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #7
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronch View Post
When you have the seat , steering wheel, ambient lighting, etc... Set to your liking, you still have to save those settings by pressing the set button on the left of your seat then one of the number buttons to save the profile. After that, it should recognize what key fob you used when you set it. Make sure you don't have both key fobs in the cabin. Did you do that? I have to admit, we just bought a new X5 and I had to do that 2 or 3 times before it took.
Only the seat position and mirror positions are stored by the buttons on the seat. All the rest, is stored to your key profile automatically. For example, you can't store two different lighting, shortcut buttons etc., to one key profile.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #8
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Only the seat position and mirror positions are stored by the buttons on the seat. All the rest, is stored to your key profile automatically. For example, you can't store two different lighting, shortcut buttons etc., to one key profile.
My seat position, side mirror and steering wheel position, ambient light settings, day light running lights, etc... is stored in my key and changes when my wife drives. I would've thought that this was same across all of the new lines on BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 07:07 PM   #9
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronch View Post
My seat position, side mirror and steering wheel position, ambient light settings, day light running lights, etc... is stored in my key and changes when my wife drives. I would've thought that this was same across all of the new lines on BMWs.
Yes. Stored in the key, but not in the button settings on the seat, as far as I know. You can have two different seat and mirror positions per key. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

Are you saying that if your wife drives your car using your key, all those settings change based on the buttons on the seat?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #10
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
...Are you saying that if your wife drives your car using your key, all those settings change based on the buttons on the seat?
No, it's just based on the key. Which is why I thought either the OP didn't save his settings with his key initially, or he might just have to do it a few times or there's something wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 06:31 AM   #11
crashtestdummy81
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: YMB F83

The first point to note is that no settings are saved to the key. Any settings which are changed are stored in the currently active profile in the car.
When the car is locked the key used to lock the car is associated with the currently active profile and multiple (even all) keys can be associated to a single profile.
When the car is unlocked the profile to which the key used has been associated is selected as the active profile, the active profile can also be changed by selecting it on the iDrive.
Seating positions will only move when the profile is changed and the newly selected profile is set to automatically move the seat.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 07:43 AM   #12
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
Locking the door w the key fob should save those settings to that key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtestdummy81 View Post
The first point to note is that no settings are saved to the key. Any settings which are changed are stored in the currently active profile in the car.
When the car is locked the key used to lock the car is associated with the currently active profile and multiple (even all) keys can be associated to a single profile.
When the car is unlocked the profile to which the key used has been associated is selected as the active profile, the active profile can also be changed by selecting it on the iDrive.
Seating positions will only move when the profile is changed and the newly selected profile is set to automatically move the seat.
Are you sure that the profile is assigned to the key that locks the car?

I thought the profile is assigned to the key with which ignition is turned on.

For example, my wife can lock (with her key) the car that I drove (with my key), but the seat position associated with her key is not changed.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-29-2015 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #13
peppylepeu
Rep

Thanks, all. Seems I am not the only one with this problem! I will play around with it this weekend and see if we can get it to work, I did not have the one setting someone pointed out enabled regarding returning seat to previous position. Seems like there is an answer here in this thread, just need to fiddle with it to figure it out. Good news is that it IS supposed to work as advertised, which will be nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:26 AM   #14
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
A stupid question: Have you set the iDrive setting (under door lock/unlock) to have the seat come back to the last position? There are 3 options: seat does not move/seat moves when door unlocked/seat moves when door is opened.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #15
peppylepeu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
A stupid question: Have you set the iDrive setting (under door lock/unlock) to have the seat come back to the last position? There are 3 options: seat does not move/seat moves when door unlocked/seat moves when door is opened.
Yes, that is the setting I noted above just before your post. I did not have that set before but do now.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 04:42 PM   #16
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtestdummy81 View Post
When the car is locked the key used to lock the car is associated with the scurrently active profile and multiple (even all) keys can be associated to a single profile.
good clarification. I didn't mean to suggest that any information is physically stored in the key, I meant it as you more eloquently described it, stored in the profile associated with the key.
Appreciate 0