Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-29-2021, 08:47 PM   #8955
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Some new news/articles this week I thought were interesting.

First up is G80 related: MotorTrend Compares the G80 Comp and Giulia QV.

In the battle of sport sedans, the M3 was praised for its spectacular S58 powertrain as well as its capable chassis but in the end lost to the Giulia who despite its lower capabilities presented a more beautiful as well as characterful and fun take on the sports sedan.

Second up is Porsche: Apparently the GT badge has made its way to an SUV of all cars, the new Cayenne Turbo GT.

Available only as a "Coupe" and starting at $180,000, the new Nürburgring record holder (7:38.9) boasts 631hp and 626lb-ft torque with a 0-60 of 3.1 seconds from a higher tuned version of the 4.0L V8 with new parts for the crankshaft, pistons, connecting rods, and timing chain. Porsche's adaptive dampers and Sport suspension, variable-ratio steering system, and rear-axle steering are all specifically tuned for the new model with the 22-inch wheels wrapped in sticky Pirelli P Zero Corsa tires that were specifically developed for the Turbo GT.

Is Lexus getting into the sports car gamePossible Lexus UC based on Toyobaru Twins is Rumored.

After a potential spyshot and insider reports, its rumored a Lexus UC ("Urban Coupe") could become a possible player in the sports car segment. Based on the 86/BRZ Twins, the car would feature a hybridized version of the existing 2.4L Flat-4. With Lexus teasing a comeback of F-Performance vehicles, and even a spokesperson replying to Car and Driver's article saying, "some exciting things coming to Lexus," the UC could debut by the end of the year.
That Cayenne is beyond overkill, but if you care about performance and love a fast SUV it's a nice alternative to the URUS in terms of specialness factor.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 08:52 PM   #8956
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post
FWIW, I've yet to see a G8x in the wild here in Vegas and I tool around the valley quite often. I need to go to a dealer and check them out, I'm kinda in a @NickyC situation…kinda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I called three San Francisco area dealerships today. There is one Tanzanite 6MT M4 at BMW of San Francisco (…with a prospective buyer currently looking at it) and one White/Kyalami M4 at BMW of Fremont. The good thing is both dealerships are selling at MSRP.
The way easier way is to just go to autotrader and do a dealer search - every time you say they're sold out I go onto autotrader and poke around a few metros and I've never failed to find plenty. And, yeah, here in NorCal there are zero problems getting one - no dealer I've been to has been out and dealers are proactively emailing out offers. G8x allocations seem plentiful. Try to get a GLE allocation - now THOSE are scarce.

And I've still yet to see a single pigsnout here in NorCal ... and today I saw an M8 Comp!

So if G8xs are scarce, they're so scarce we never see any.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 09:13 PM   #8957
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
That Cayenne is beyond overkill, but if you care about performance and love a fast SUV it's a nice alternative to the URUS in terms of specialness factor.
100% Overkill, knowing Porsche they probably wanted two things for this SUV, 1) Sales of course (which this thing will definitely do) and 2) Beat Audi's Nürburgring record.

As absurd this car is though, I have to say, the promotional video for it is absolutely excellent. 2 minutes of V8 symphony, and a great way of showing how even their SUV's are designed for enthusiasts.

clutchdj1878.50
minn1914034.50
CanuckM665.50
      06-29-2021, 09:14 PM   #8958
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
The 992 aero kit is the best factory kit of all the 911 generations because a. It's fairly simple and b. It's placed on a car that's finally wide enough to accept its proportions. Previous gens were not aggressively styled or wide enough for a huge wing - the 993 NB with turbo whale tail was particularly egregious.

I still prefer the 992 non-GT3 without the aero kit though. If I'm honest it still looks not-quite right because the bumpers are not aggressive enough (like the GT3's). The clean teardrop silhouette fits the non-GT car better, but that's just MO of course.
I have not seen a lot of cars with the 992 aero kit yet. There have been a few regular 992 running about though.

Personally like the aero kit over the 992 GT3 wing. The new GT3 wing is just far too much for me. Though from all the new shots of the 718 GT4 RS, that wing might also be fairly similar to the 992 GT3, which is a bit of a RIP.
Agreed on all points. I've only seen one AeroKit 992 in person, and that was owned by an employee at the dealership where I ordered my car. I see very few 992's around, so when I see one in motion I try to pace it so I can take it in. The 992 GT3 wing is too much for me too. I would opt for a Touring with the Touring Package if I had GT3 money.
I think the rareness of the aerokit even in SoCal is going to make the car look and feel special. Sounds stupid but can't wait to take it to certain car events (like C&C at Rancho Santa Fe). Some friends of mine who own GT3s (I'm the only BMW in their little mountain driving group of GT3s, GT3RSs, and two GT2RSs) think the aerokit in the 992 looks sweet and is unique, so looking forward to showing them the car and running it with them (and barely keeping up, but hopefully RAS for the win). There is one guy in that group who thinks it's GT3 wannabe but he also paid like $400k (this is an exaggeration but he has like $100k in options) for his GT2RS and is a bit of prick (no one really likes him but he is very well connected with Porsche - VIP since he bought a 918 - so people just deal with him).
Agreed! Maybe I'll tag along with you rag tag P-Car owners for your drives.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134947.00
      06-29-2021, 09:28 PM   #8959
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post

I still prefer the 992 non-GT3 without the aero kit though. If I’m honest it still looks not-quite right because the bumpers are not aggressive enough (like the GT3’s). The clean teardrop silhouette fits the non-GT car better, but that’s just MO of course.
Hit the nail on the head.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 09:31 PM   #8960
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
FWIW, I've yet to see a G8x in the wild here in Vegas and I tool around the valley quite often. I need to go to a dealer and check them out, I'm kinda in a @NickyC situation…kinda.
Quote:
I called three San Francisco area dealerships today. There is one Tanzanite 6MT M4 at BMW of San Francisco (…with a prospective buyer currently looking at it) and one White/Kyalami M4 at BMW of Fremont. The good thing is both dealerships are selling at MSRP.
The way easier way is to just go to autotrader and do a dealer search - every time you say they're sold out I go onto autotrader and poke around a few metros and I've never failed to find plenty. And, yeah, here in NorCal there are zero problems getting one - no dealer I've been to has been out and dealers are proactively emailing out offers. G8x allocations seem plentiful.

That's the exact opposite of what those actively looking to buy a G8X say. Yesterday there was a claim of 9 cars within 50 miles of San Francisco. The reality is there are two, which I confirmed via telephone calls today. Stretch it out 100 miles and one additional car from BMW of Monterrey pops up. Surely that would be considered minimal availability in any other case, but because it's the G8X the wording is adjusted. If I said there are two 992's available within 100 miles of me (..which is true, one being at Porsche Carlsbad…..unless it sold today), everybody would proclaim they are hard(er) to find.

I was contacted by two Bimmerpost members regarding allocations. I referred them to two connects trying to help them get allocations. One was informed that it would be $5k over sticker even on ordered cars because of slim allocations, so both BP members contacted me and told me they declined since they only want to pay MSRP. The other option is still in play.

P.S. I have Porsche dealerships constantly emailing me and asking for my business too (…in the last three days it was Walter's Ontario, Porsche of Carlsbad and Porsche South Bay)……and they don't even generally have cars. This is after I've told them I already have an allocation with a discount. They still reach out and I know they aren't hurting to sell cars. Emails mean nothing.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4261.50
      06-29-2021, 09:32 PM   #8961
figure99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 - ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The way easier way is to just go to autotrader and do a dealer search - every time you say they're sold out I go onto autotrader and poke around a few metros and I've never failed to find plenty. And, yeah, here in NorCal there are zero problems getting one - no dealer I've been to has been out and dealers are proactively emailing out offers. G8x allocations seem plentiful. Try to get a GLE allocation - now THOSE are scarce.

And I've still yet to see a single pigsnout here in NorCal ... and today I saw an M8 Comp!

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

So if G8xs are scarce, they're so scarce we never see any.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:
The G8X is selling too well. An LCI grille change to something more traditional should not be on anybody's list of expectations.
In Cali maybe. Not selling well here.
Where's here? Markets vary of course.
It must be market specific… I still have not seen any in the DC area, nor have I come across anyone at C&C that likes the aesthetics of the car, including the younger 20 something crowd seemingly. I have seen more tanks at C&C than G80s… seriously. My local dealer has sent me several e-mails claiming they have allocations and special pricing on a new M3. I'm not sure what the special pricing is, but I know they've had the same black M4 on their showroom floor since at least April. My friend who owns a high end detail shop in the area said he is aware of a few that sold at another local dealer, but he has not seen any roll through his shop as of yet.
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.” -Mario Andretti
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18180.50
      06-29-2021, 09:42 PM   #8962
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
That's the exact opposite of what those actively looking to buy a G8X say.
FYI - the emails are specific deals on the G8x, as in come get one now, and I didn't start getting them until a few months ago and since the same dealerships emailing me have some sitting around - including the ones you found! - it sounds like maybe emails do mean something ... at least they did for you!

All I can tell ya is I was in two south bay dealerships last week and I coulda ordered or driven away in one. I mean I wouldn't ... but I coulda. I don't know who these zomg-no-allocation guys are, but then a ton of people here think bmw david was a great salesguy too sooo

IN other news, I found your perfect work ride!

Last edited by GrussGott; 06-29-2021 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25083.00
Sedan_Clan25107.50
minn1914034.50
clutchdj1878.50
      06-29-2021, 09:45 PM   #8963
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's the exact opposite of what those actively looking to buy a G8X say.
All I can tell ya is I was in two south bay dealerships last week and I coulda ordered or driven away in one. I mean I wouldn't ... but I coulda. I don't know who these zomg-no-allocation guys are, but then a ton of people here think bmw david was a great salesguy too sooo

IN other news, I found your perfect work ride!

[IMG]https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/ima...ent-bmw_19.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/ima...ment-bmw_2.jpg[/IMG]

[img]https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/ima...ment-bmw_7.jpg[/img]
I would ride it!

…only if I could be suited up like TRON.
Appreciate 2
minn1914034.50
GrussGott18180.50
      06-29-2021, 09:55 PM   #8964
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

No air-cooled wail but it does sound pretty good inside the cabin. anyway, gonna fix that soon with some new pipes.
Sounds pretty rowdy inside the cabin actually.
has a few miles just past break-in.
what's amazing is how low the car is relative to a how well damped it is. the suspension compliance is insane and without the body roll; I forgot how good Pcar damper tuning is out of the box.
'20 so its a 6 speed.
all the change w/bmw has been urking me lately.

Appreciate 11
stein_325i25083.00
minn1914034.50
Sedan_Clan25107.50
Thescout134947.00
GrussGott18180.50
CT_M31478.00
Arcades8174.00
swagon13521.00
T1M3LESS2273.50
      06-29-2021, 10:03 PM   #8965
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
No air-cooled wail but it does sound pretty good inside the cabin. anyway, gonna fix that soon with some new pipes.
what's amazing is how low the car is relative to a how well damped it is. the suspension compliance is insane and without the body roll; I forgot how good Pcar damper tuning is out of the box.
'20 so its a 6 speed.

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...c47012cf_c.jpg[/img]
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...079620b5_c.jpg[/img]
Love it! Congrats!

I've heard so many reports about interior noise. It's really that bad huh?!
Appreciate 1
clutchdj1878.50
      06-29-2021, 10:13 PM   #8966
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Love it! Congrats!

it drones a bit, but not painfully so, where you're avoiding the "drone zone" and short shifting or looking for the next gear. it revs effortlessly and it's almost never ending. The car kind of compels you to rev out. its ridiculous in a mischievous sort of way. I would say the interior volume suits the character of the car but not in an obnoxious way.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      06-29-2021, 10:17 PM   #8967
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Love it! Congrats!

it drones a bit, but not painfully so, where you're avoiding the "drone zone" and short shifting or looking for the next gear. it revs effortlessly and it's almost never ending. The car kind of compels you to rev out. its ridiculous in a mischievous sort of way. I would say the interior volume suits the character of the car but not in an obnoxious way.
Is your car about as noisy as the 992?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 10:19 PM   #8968
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep

I have no idea lol, I would say its about as noisy as the older 911's. Like '79-86 years
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      06-29-2021, 10:33 PM   #8969
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
'20 so its a 6 speed.

Phenomenal car! Man if I was like 5 inches shorter this would be in strong consideration for me. The best part of the 911 for me that they have always been a great size for tall guys like me.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      06-29-2021, 10:53 PM   #8970
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep

Thank you! Yeah I’m 6.1 with a short torso and long legs and you are right they always made them with plenty of leg room.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25107.50
Thescout134947.00
      06-29-2021, 11:36 PM   #8971
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
I have no idea lol, I would say its about as noisy as the older 911's. Like '79-86 years
Quote:
992 is quieter compared to the GT4 as the GT4 is more stripped out. Obviously if you are asking for the GT3, GT3 will be louder.

The stupid thing about the drone is it comes on at certain RPMs for the GT4 and only when you have Auto Start on, which is the deactivates cylinder thing to save gas. It's been discussed quite often on the 718 side that even I know of it lol.

Think some notice the droning happen even with Auto Start turned off on the GT4 but I don't know until I have my hands on mine. The only time I had any issue with droning is when I had Remus Cat-Back on my M4.. The thing drove me insane I sold the damn thing within a week. The drone was inconsistent and comes on and off, which is how I was able to tell and why I got so annoyed with it.

P.S. Also, during my test drive, I didn't find the GT4 loud, but after like... 5k RPM it does get pretty loud. That is why I'm afraid of doing a full exhaust setup. Even though Justin said "It won't be that loud! Stock is pretty quiet." >.>
Sedan_Clan25107.50
clutchdj1878.50
      06-29-2021, 11:59 PM   #8972
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
Quote:
992 is quieter compared to the GT4 as the GT4 is more stripped out. Obviously if you are asking for the GT3, GT3 will be louder.

The stupid thing about the drone is it comes on at certain RPMs for the GT4 and only when you have Auto Start on, which is the deactivates cylinder thing to save gas. It's been discussed quite often on the 718 side that even I know of it lol.

Think some notice the droning happen even with Auto Start turned off on the GT4 but I don't know until I have my hands on mine. The only time I had any issue with droning is when I had Remus Cat-Back on my M4.. The thing drove me insane I sold the damn thing within a week. The drone was inconsistent and comes on and off, which is how I was able to tell and why I got so annoyed with it.

P.S. Also, during my test drive, I didn't find the GT4 loud, but after like... 5k RPM it does get pretty loud. That is why I'm afraid of doing a full exhaust setup. Even though Justin said "It won't be that loud! Stock is pretty quiet." >.>
Lol @ won't be that loud. Sounds like J. is downplaying it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 12:53 AM   #8973
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Insane prices
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25107.50
RugbyBro7601.50
      06-30-2021, 12:55 AM   #8974
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Insane prices
True, but 1M's have sold for insane prices long before this ridiculousness began.
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      06-30-2021, 01:00 AM   #8975
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Insane prices
Quote:
True, but 1M's have sold for insane prices long before this ridiculousness began.
Yeah the 1M has always struck me way too expensive but these days it’s next level. I haven’t been lucky enough to drive one but I don’t understand how it can be so much different than an M2 for instance and justify such an insane premium. That said, I think it’s a great looking car and I’ve always loved the size/wheel base of the 1 series… I’d love to take one for a spin one day
Sedan_Clan25107.50
      06-30-2021, 01:12 AM   #8976
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:
Insane prices
Quote:
Yeah the 1M has always struck me way too expensive but these days it's next level. I haven't been lucky enough to drive one but I don't understand how it can be so much different than an M2 for instance and justify such an insane premium. That said, I think it's a great looking car and I've always loved the size/wheel base of the 1 series… I'd love to take one for a spin one day
It's the cult following. That car went from hated to loved in the span of what seemed like a year. The current M2/M2C are better performing cars, but they don't have the same cult following as the droopy eyed OG.
Appreciate 0