Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-12-2022, 12:07 PM   #23
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
This is what provokes the question-do we need to run Ethanol fuel system cleaners. I know some tuners recommend it (but not a specific brand). I have never used anything other than PowerPlus top lube with E85 fills and that's it.
      01-12-2022, 12:20 PM   #24
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82.959 View Post
This is what provokes the question-do we need to run Ethanol fuel system cleaners. I know some tuners recommend it (but not a specific brand). I have never used anything other than PowerPlus top lube with E85 fills and that's it.
The only one I use is Lucas ethanol treatment and Hot Shots LX4.

Lucus helps with cold start-up on full E85.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2022, 12:25 PM   #25
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

Never heard of Hot Shots LX4... I'll check that out. I think because I live in SoCal I never have problems with a true 'cold start.'

Update: Hot Shots seems very similar to PowerPlus. I guess I'll stick with it since I'm so used to it and it's been good to me for 100K miles of driving.
      01-12-2022, 12:33 PM   #26
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

Quote:
Quote:

How often do you use ethanol fuel treatments? Every fill up or less often?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 12:35 PM   #27
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80RN View Post
Quote:
Quote:

How often do you use ethanol fuel treatments? Every fill up or less often?
Every fill up. Its recommended to use these type of fuel lubricants due to the nature of alcohol based fuels drying up seals in the fuel system.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 12:49 PM   #28
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

I'd love to run E but my car is not daily driven and sits for a while (two-three weeks) at a time or more. I guess I'll have to stick with 91/meth..
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 01:17 PM   #29
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I used PowerPlus religiously and still had an injector fail on E85. After deep dive discussions with my tuner and also gurus at Kratos (who communicated directly with Bosch engineers) the top lube does nothing. The fuel system in our cars is already flex-fuel approved (no rubber to "dry out" or degrade) and our injectors are stainless steel inside (they do not corrode). Some injectors can't handle operating above approved pressure, and a Stage Custom E85 tune usually pushes HPFP target to 3800-3900PSI. The piezoelectric gate inside the injector breaks, it doesn't "get stuck". RC Fuel Injection confirmed that cleaning will not unstick a broken injector gate.

I replaced my failed injector and ran E85 without it no problems. My E85 tune is custom Stage 2+ (balls out race tune) and continues to work fine without PowerPlus.

As for fuel system cleaners, do not use them. Most contain PEA which can give O2 sensors problems. Running E85 cleans out any sticky gunk (not particulates) because it's a solvent.

My 2 cents
      01-12-2022, 09:43 PM   #30
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I used PowerPlus religiously and still had an injector fail on E85. After deep dive discussions with my tuner and also gurus at Kratos (who communicated directly with Bosch engineers) the top lube does nothing. The fuel system in our cars is already flex-fuel approved (no rubber to "dry out" or degrade) and our injectors are stainless steel inside (they do not corrode). Some injectors can't handle operating above approved pressure, and a Stage Custom E85 tune usually pushes HPFP target to 3800-3900PSI. The piezoelectric gate inside the injector breaks, it doesn't "get stuck". RC Fuel Injection confirmed that cleaning will not unstick a broken injector gate.

I replaced my failed injector and ran E85 without it no problems. My E85 tune is custom Stage 2+ (balls out race tune) and continues to work fine without PowerPlus.

As for fuel system cleaners, do not use them. Most contain PEA which can give O2 sensors problems. Running E85 cleans out any sticky gunk (not particulates) because it's a solvent.

My 2 cents
This is gold information about the HPFP and injectors-thank you.

I felt the same about fuel system cleaners since alcohol...is a cleaner. I'm glad I'm not the only one to consider using cleaners a bit trivial.

The PowerPlus I was told wasn't for the fuel system on the S55 but for the upper cylinders of the engine wear itself. The harsher ethanol fuel blow-by gas that seeps past the rings is harsh on the engine and the PowerPlus just adds that 'courtesy spit' to help keep things nice and slimy. I guess it can't hurt then to keep using it, so after the 100K miles of me using it, I think I'll just keep it going but when I eventually strip this motor down, I'll take tons of pics to see what it might've helped with (if anything).
      01-12-2022, 10:13 PM   #31
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

My 2 cents
This is gold information about the HPFP and injectors-thank you.

I felt the same about fuel system cleaners since alcohol...is a cleaner. I'm glad I'm not the only one to consider using cleaners a bit trivial.

The PowerPlus I was told wasn't for the fuel system on the S55 but for the upper cylinders of the engine wear itself. The harsher ethanol fuel blow-by gas that seeps past the rings is harsh on the engine and the PowerPlus just adds that 'courtesy spit' to help keep things nice and slimy. I guess it can't hurt then to keep using it, so after the 100K miles of me using it, I think I'll just keep it going but when I eventually strip this motor down, I'll take tons of pics to see what it might've helped with (if anything).
The courtesy spit had me laughing.

I think the real play for PowerPlus are the race cars running Methanol as fuel. That's where I could see the top lube helping to alleviate how corrosive methanol is on steel heads and valves.

Ethanol is nowhere as corrosive as M1 but I think since it's still "alcohol" the PowerPlus idea made its way down to us E85 users.