Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-08-2021, 01:25 PM   #133
ilikefood
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3

I found this old thread, and I have some questions for those of you who have used the Seasucker on an E90 M3 to carry a mountain bike.

I have no concerns at all about the attachment strength/reliability of the Seasucker vacuum system, but I'm a bit worried about the strength of the roof, sunroof, and windshield. The roof on my M3 (just a regular metal roof, not CF) feels pretty flexible and flimsy. Even close to the edges, it still flexes, so I'm worried that putting the weight of a bicycle on the roof might deform or dent it (especially when the car goes over bumps).

Similarly with attaching the vacuum cups to the sunroof or the rear window or the trunk lid, I'm worried about the weight (I think the bike weighs around 25-30 lbs) causing dents or other damage (like damaging the sunroof mechanism or rattling the rear window loose, if I were to put the vacuum cups there).

For any of you who have actually used Seasucker on your M3, where do you mount it? Have you experienced any problems with the roof or trunk lid deforming, or damage to the sunroof or rear window (if attached there)?

(To pre-empt comments about the OEM roof rack - yes, I know I could get the OEM roof rack, but the Seasucker is just so much simpler to install and remove. I don't transport my bike all that often so I don't want to keep a roof rack on the car, and I don't want to mess around with installing and then removing it whenever I feel like going for a ride a bit farther away.)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #134
caacosta
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

I haven't with my Seasucker. I place it on the rear window and drunk since I have a black wrap on my roof bc of the sunroof. I have a Giant gravel ebike on there. I do remove things like the battery etc. before mounting. Haven't taken it on crazy canyon turns or anything either.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #135
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

I wouldn't put it on the carbon roof or the trunk lid, I don't want any damage to the roof or deformation of the trunk lid. I stick to the rear glass only and have been using it this way for 2 years regularly now with both my road bike and gravel bike.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 07:35 PM   #136
ilikefood
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvq View Post
I wouldn't put it on the carbon roof or the trunk lid, I don't want any damage to the roof or deformation of the trunk lid. I stick to the rear glass only and have been using it this way for 2 years regularly now with both my road bike and gravel bike.
And you haven't had any problems, like the rear window cracking or getting loose from having the bike's weight on it?

My concern is that with a bike that weighs 25-30 lbs, if I go over a bump (streets and roads are rough in the Bay Area), the dynamic weight load on the window could be pretty high. But of course it's entirely possible that I'm worried for no good reason and that it's totally fine
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #137
ilikefood
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caacosta View Post
I haven't with my Seasucker. I place it on the rear window and drunk since I have a black wrap on my roof bc of the sunroof. I have a Giant gravel ebike on there. I do remove things like the battery etc. before mounting. Haven't taken it on crazy canyon turns or anything either.
Good to know, thanks. I figure an e-bike without a battery will be at least as heavy as my MTB. And you haven't had any problems with trunk lid getting deformed or dented? Or any rear window problems?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 07:38 PM   #138
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikefood View Post
Quote:
And you haven't had any problems, like the rear window cracking or getting loose from having the bike's weight on it?

My concern is that with a bike that weighs 25-30 lbs, if I go over a bump (streets and roads are rough in the Bay Area), the dynamic weight load on the window could be pretty high. But of course it's entirely possible that I'm worried for no good reason and that it's totally fine
I'm in the bay area as well and haven't yet experienced any such issues. I regularly pass over big freeway bumps and in town bumps and trips through San Francisco with bike mounted to the rear glass, zero issues in two years. I also use this on a Tesla with all glass roof and no issues there either.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 12:37 PM   #139
ilikefood
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm in the bay area as well and haven't yet experienced any such issues. I regularly pass over big freeway bumps and in town bumps and trips through San Francisco with bike mounted to the rear glass, zero issues in two years. I also use this on a Tesla with all glass roof and no issues there either.
Awesome, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 10:20 AM   #140
Kal_el
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I went from DC to Georgia with both my road bike and MTB with zero issues. I used the front wi die because I have the mini bomber and wanted to make sure I could see the suction. Stopped for gas twice didn’t have to resuction at all. Only downside is you can’t use your wipers. My concern with the mini bomber also is that the CF roof dips in the middle. I’ll have to test it out.

Weight wise, the MTB is a Specialized Hardrock and it’s heavy as shit and didn’t budge one bit.
Attached Images

01-13-2022, 11:33 PM   #141
sueddo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 550i, BMW M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemack79 View Post
2100 miles from nyc to Tennessee with about 80lbs of stuff in the roof box. Zero issues. Most of the highway time spent above 80, and more than a few stints to triple digits.
Would love to know if you have a carbon roof on the m3? Coming from f06 forum and looking to mount my roofbox to my seasuckers on my m6 Gran Coupe but didn't really find any information if the CF roof could hold that much weight. Seems like you're the only one i've seen with a BMW having a roof box with the seasucker mounts.
Appreciate 0