Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-15-2022, 05:34 PM   #1
gbux
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 competition

looking at buying f80, not sure if im seeing red flags

im looking at buying a F80 after having a f32 for four years. kids are coming so i was told i need 4 doors. i was like oh jeez i guess i better get the four door version of my car. anyway im looking at one on carvana (i loathe the dealership process so im trying carvana out) with 31k miles for 59XXX$, thats a little low when most i see are going for 62-67k. On top of that I see on the car fax that it was owned on a lease, then the both of the other owners owned it for only 7 months before moving on. finally the grille doesnt have the m badge, but it does have the double slat grille. Lastly i see that part of the front aero is black, which doesnt match anything ive seen on other cars.

View post on imgur.com

I know, I know. i probably sound like a madman wearing a tinfoil hat but my guard is up since my current car had been in a minor accident that wasnt claimed. i only noticed when i took the front bumper off and noticed some damage. Buying a car is one of the bigger purchases someone can make and im always untrusting of anyone involved in the process. anyone else think this is unusual and i should pass on it or am i being overly cautious?

Last edited by gbux; 01-15-2022 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: better link for image
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 07:23 PM   #2
agustincuenca
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i; 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
the link is broken, can you fix that? Anyways, I think it's more than OK to be really picky when buying an M used...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 07:47 PM   #3
Frözpeed
Klappe zu, Affe tot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Frozen White M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
That car is modified, at least aesthetically. Looks like a CF or black front lip, cf or black grille, and cf bumper splitter covers.

I know aftermarket grilles usually don't come with the logos.

IG: frozen_white_m4
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3948.00
      01-16-2022, 07:25 AM   #4
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

I don’t blame you. Don’t buy anything from online car delivery services without looking at them. Carvana And some companies are selling chopped up f80s because they are taking junk in on trades. I know people that bought f80s with the wrong wheels/horrible cheap tires /mismatched taillights and or headlights/tunes/ and even carbon pieces missing.

I sold mine and they didn’t even drive my car. Took six pics and ran the vin for accidents. It could have had a bent rim or even a damaged motor even though mine didn’t. These online dealerships are scary and their price might reflect damage or problems found after they actually took the car in.
Appreciate 4
spidy512491.50
SCS55291.00
      01-16-2022, 09:23 AM   #5
Riverside
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 SS

It looks like there is a mark on the front of the bumper, although it could be the clarity of the picture. I know this is probably common sense, but how far away is the car and do you know anyone who lives near where the car is? You could always roll the dice, test dive the car for 7 days after they deliver it and if you don't like it, return it.

Full disclosure I've never used an online car service nor know anyone who has.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 10:22 AM   #6
MathewM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 and BMW M3 E46

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
I bought my M4 from Carvana (btw, first car I bought online). The whole process was easy and like Riverside pointed out, you have a 7 day return policy with no questions asked.

Take delivery and get a pre-buy inspection done before the 7 days are up.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #7
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Looks like it has the aftermarket (desirable?) carbon fiber grill surround, which comes from IND with a de-badged grill (I guess they sell same for M3 and M4 that way).

The front aero has the carbon fiber "fang covers".

If u like it go for it. You've got 7 days to check it out good.
      01-16-2022, 01:20 PM   #8
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frözpeed View Post
That car is modified, at least aesthetically. Looks like a CF or black front lip, cf or black grille, and cf bumper splitter covers.

I know aftermarket grilles usually don't come with the logos.
Agreed. If the car has these mods there's a very good chance that it was also tuned. I'd never get one of these previously modded.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 06:45 AM   #9
slowturbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoix View Post
I don’t blame you. Don’t buy anything from online car delivery services without looking at them. Carvana And some companies are selling chopped up f80s because they are taking junk in on trades. I know people that bought f80s with the wrong wheels/horrible cheap tires /mismatched taillights and or headlights/tunes/ and even carbon pieces missing.

I sold mine and they didn’t even drive my car. Took six pics and ran the vin for accidents. It could have had a bent rim or even a damaged motor even though mine didn’t. These online dealerships are scary and their price might reflect damage or problems found after they actually took the car in.
I disagree with this statement. I bought my m3 from carvana and did a PPI during my 7 day return window. The car was in phenomenal condition, had great service history, and all original paint. The only thing I will say is that Carvana replaced my front tires with Falkens instead of Michelins. Once I complained, they paid for a brand new pair of PS4S at a local tire shop. I think more people are trading their cars to carvana and vroom because the offers are better than at local dealers, not because the cars themselves are worse.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 06:54 AM   #10
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowturbo View Post
I disagree with this statement. I bought my m3 from carvana and did a PPI during my 7 day return window. The car was in phenomenal condition, had great service history, and all original paint. The only thing I will say is that Carvana replaced my front tires with Falkens instead of Michelins. Once I complained, they paid for a brand new pair of PS4S at a local tire shop. I think more people are trading their cars to carvana and vroom because the offers are better than at local dealers, not because the cars themselves are worse.

I am not implying EVERY car is junk or chopped up. Just saying to be careful bc some are not in the greatest condition. I know people that were running heavily modded f80s with meth and damaged motors that traded their car in to some Online dealers. It’s just a chance you take when buying any used cars but you can lower that chance with a thorough inspection. I would not purchase a car online without seeing it in person even if they allow you to return the car after seven days.

You obviously did your homework and had a ppi which is smart. Not everyone does that or thinks that way. My advice to OP is to be aware of the situation out there and to see the car in person. If anything looks funny and you have a bad feeling, trust your gut and walk away.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      01-17-2022, 07:30 AM   #11
slowturbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoix View Post
I am not implying EVERY car is junk or chopped up. Just saying to be careful bc some are not in the greatest condition. I know people that were running heavily modded f80s with meth and damaged motors that traded their car in to some Online dealers. It’s just a chance you take when buying any used cars but you can lower that chance with a thorough inspection. I would not purchase a car online without seeing it in person even if they allow you to return the car after seven days.

You obviously did your homework and had a ppi which is smart. Not everyone does that or thinks that way. My advice to OP is to be aware of the situation out there and to see the car in person. If anything looks funny and you have a bad feeling, trust your gut and walk away.
Agreed
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 09:57 AM   #12
Redacre
6 Cylinders 3 Ways
Rep
Drives: M5, 911, Macan

Garage List
I bought a Porsche Macan through Carvana and it couldn't even get through the PPI it had so many problems. Literally driving it home and it threw a whole bunch of codes and errors. Hoping it was just some sensors or something I brought it to my mechanic but it turned out to be even worse and they couldn't even complete the PPI due to ECU issues. They did at least honor the return policy and even paid my mechanic for the PPI, but it took a while to get the money back. I would never buy through those online dealers again.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50