GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: Would you get a stage 1 software only tune without the crank hub fix?
Yes 238 69.19%
No 106 30.81%
Voters: 344. You may not vote on this poll

08-29-2020, 06:12 AM   #23
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
If you're really paranoid just do the crank bolt capture, and don't venture beyond a stage 1 tune.

But maybe try turn off your DSC - or use Euro MDM + latest software, floor it in 1st and second gear and let's see if you still feel the need for another 100hp...

When my BMW warranty expires, I might just flash a comp pack / CS tune and call it a day.
The car tempts me to break enough traffic laws as it is...

I also see you're in California... isn't the 'premium' fuel there 95RON. Not sure I'd want to be pushing my car's engine on anything less than 98RON, which is BMWs recommended fuel for this car (at least over here, they say 98 recommended, 95 minimum). More power than stock on fuel worse than BMW's recommendation just feels like a bad idea.
I thought about just doing the GTS flash. Add a little more power and clean up the DCT. I mean, if the GTS cars can run that no issue, so should mine.
      08-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #24
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves View Post
I should've stayed off the forums. I was about to tune my car with BM3 S1, but now I'm having second thoughts. Car has around 9,900 miles. Never had any issues. I live in Germany, so I drive this car like I stole it from the museum in Munich. Only mod is Eventuri intakes and charge pipes. I don't launch the car, but I beat the piss out of it from 1 - 7 and run her up to 130+ mph on the Autobahn. But like everyone said, it's a toss up. It's either going to fail, or it's not.
Read this thread from start to end:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1597456
      08-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #25
M4gtr
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugenboyz View Post
Would you get a stage 1 software only tune without the crank hub fix?
Out of warranty? Yes. In warranty, no.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #26
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

Flash tune it! Stay with stock crank hub! "JUST DON'T BEAT ON IT" Love that quote.....
Make your car faster yet drive it slow so it doesn't explode!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 04:46 PM   #27
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
here's my experience with my my18 f82 non zcp dct for what's it's worth (and by no means am I trying to place any blame). I ran the car stock for the first~5k miles then went with Alex@alpine gts tune. ran perfectly till 12k miles when I went with his gts+ that was meant for stock down pipes. literally on my test drive back in the neighborhood as I was coming to a stop sign I got the drivetrain malfunction notice. got the car fixed and ran it stock for the next 5k miles and the went back to the original gts flash and have been running that ever since without issues and am at 36k miles now. before sch I used the kick down maybe a total of 5-6 times but didn't do it on that test drive. since the fix the only change in my driving habit has been to never use the kick down otherwise I drive it the same. I'm my opinion if you're stage 1 I wouldn't spend the money but if you start pushing above 550hp like stage 2 or turbo upgrades, etc and are keeping the car long-term then get the fix because it's risky at those power level
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 07:56 PM   #28
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

I have stage 1 and I got the SSR 4 pin crank hub fix for peace of mind plus I plan to keep the car for another 3+ yrs. I was already getting charge pipes, charge cooler, intakes, spark plugs and other major servicing done so about 1/4 of the labor For the crank hub fix was already covered.

I like that I can beat the shit out of my car without worry and know that I am ready for stage 2 or upgraded turbos if I decide to do that.

Of course if you’re not the worrying type, statistically speaking you should be fine with stage 1 and stock crank hub.

Also, there’s worse things you can spend $4k on... like my Remus exhaust. It’s cool and all but it didn’t make too much difference compared to stock w/ valves opened. Would’ve gotten as much enjoyment if I just got a midpipe and larger exhaust tips.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 09:09 PM   #29
robrwalker
M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB F82, 2018 AW F86

Crank hub issue is just not that big a deal. At least 98% of all M3's and M4's will never see this issue. AND, even if it happens and it's out of warranty and you don't have crazy mods I would expect BMW to cover under good will.

Drive it like and M car and have fun doing it
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 09:37 PM   #30
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrwalker View Post
Crank hub issue is just not that big a deal. At least 98% of all M3's and M4's will never see this issue. AND, even if it happens and it's out of warranty and you don't have crazy mods I would expect BMW to cover under good will.

WTF? yeah they fix out of warranty blown up tuned cars for free all the time
Appreciate 3
Gunzy76.00
Shubacca121.50
      08-29-2020, 09:42 PM   #31
Gunzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Yeah that is not happening haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 11:11 PM   #32
robrwalker
M addicted
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
Quote:

WTF? yeah they fix out of warranty blown up tuned cars for free all the time

Yes in fact that's exactly what I am saying. Have seen it more than once.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #33
65fastback
Captain
Rep

Quote:
oh cool...so you are a service advisor nice!

Please let me know where you are located so i can bring in my out of warranty slightly modified ( no crazy mods here ) M4 with a spun CH so you can fix it for free.
oh my carbon ceramic brakes are about done can you fix this too under " good will " please thanks!

Ill be in the waiting area drinking free champagne ...please text me when its ready to pick up and yes i do want it hand washed.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 11:41 AM   #34
CCOWAN19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP Alpine White

Quote:
Quote:
oh cool...so you are a service advisor nice!

Please let me know where you are located so i can bring in my out of warranty slightly modified ( no crazy mods here ) M4 with a spun CH so you can fix it for free.
oh my carbon ceramic brakes are about done can you fix this too under " good will " please thanks!

Ill be in the waiting area drinking free champagne ...please text me when its ready to pick up and yes i do want it hand washed.
Dealerships goodwill stuff all the time. To a certain extent it's up to the dealer to decide if/what is good willed. Now, if your car pulls up screaming that it's modded odds are against you. But lightly modded cars and stock cars always have a chance of some goodwill participation. The dealer will look into if you actually spend money with them (maintenance that's not paid by the manufacturer, accessories etc). I'm a service director for a non BMW manufacturer and we goodwill work all the time if the situation dictates it, if the customer is loyal to us as a dealer and if they're not excessively out of warranty or have insane modifications. Each dealer has a limit on amount they can spend on a per repair basis before having to get your factory rep involved. In short, what he's saying isn't far fetched. There's people that have had CH failures repaired after warranty expired. Do some digging and keep in mind we aren't on this forum to bash each other. It's to inform, help and show off our beautiful M cars.
      08-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #35
65fastback
Captain
Rep

Yes...i understand what "good will" work is I've had it done for me at a merc dealership when i had a c63 it was Way out of warranty and i was a new owner, they were simply trying to earn my future biz and knew i had a very expensive out of pocket car to maintain.

I GET IT!

But this is plain Ludacris to EXPECT bmw to repair out of warranty a TUNED & broken M car it just is....its a very expensive repair anyway you slice it...its not free wiper blades or oil change.

Has it happened ? I dunno maybe 1 or 2 lucky original owners out there that fall under there rare circumstances?
but even to get bmw to replace my spark plugs wile UNDER fully warranty was like pulling teeth.

BTW...ill bet your alpine white M4 is beautiful :-)
Appreciate 2
bsmf8x777.00
      08-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #36
CCOWAN19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP Alpine White

Quote:
Yes...i understand what "good will" work is I've had it done for me at a merc dealership when i had a c63 it was Way out of warranty and i was a new owner, they were simply trying to earn my future biz and knew i had a very expensive out of pocket car to maintain.

I GET IT!

But this is plain Ludacris to EXPECT bmw to repair out of warranty a TUNED & broken M car it just is....its a very expensive repair anyway you slice it...its not free wiper blades or oil change.

Has it happened ? I dunno maybe 1 or 2 lucky original owners out there that fall under there rare circumstances?
but even to get bmw to replace my spark plugs wile UNDER fully warranty was like pulling teeth.

BTW...ill bet your alpine white M4 is beautiful :-)
I'm sure using the word "expect" when referring to any goodwill repair is a bit of a stretch but there's always some circumstance it can be taken care of in. It's always gonna be circumstantial and at the dealers/BMW's discretion. I don't know how Merc works when it comes to their goodwill and I can't speak on BMW either since I haven't gotten out of warranty nor have I modded my car yet. But the manufacturer I work for has vehicles that are high power/output and always get modded. I use discretion when helping with goodwill but I don't make it too hard for my customers to attain assistance of its under fair circumstances. I get that modding this vehicle will always have a level of risk but if you play that game you should be ready for the low chance of having to pay. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Yes, she's a definite beauty.
Attached Images

08-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #37
robrwalker
M addicted
United_States
Rep

@ccowan19 - yep, this is exactly what I am saying. BMW often does right by owners who don't abuse cars.

@65fastback - dude, relax. I'm not a service advisor; I'm just someone offering my thoughts on an Internet forum. I don't want to go out back after 6th period and fight you in the quad.

Anyway - to OP's point and question, stage one software tune only should not make you overly afraid of the rare crank hub failure.
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x777.00
      08-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #38
65fastback
Captain
Rep

Quote:
@ccowan19 - yep, this is exactly what I am saying. BMW often does right by owners who don't abuse cars.

@65fastback - dude, relax. I'm not a service advisor; I'm just someone offering my thoughts on an Internet forum. I don't want to go out back after 6th period and fight you in the quad.

Anyway - to OP's point and question, stage one software tune only should not make you overly afraid of the rare crank hub failure.
You've said some things here that are very far fetched and ridicules sounding, as far as the internet goes iam being pretty tame & docile

Just calling BS on you. BMW service departments in my area are not comping 4k repair jobs to people with no warranty & a tune on their M cars.

Id like to know where this can be done You make it sound like a common occurrence.
Some if not many of these cars are the 2nd and 3rd owner tuning them and having issues ( not all i said some) ....if you are NOT the original owner chances are your not getting any good will services done let alone a crank hub job or bent valve fix or whatever!

Maybe start a poll and see how many people out of warranty with a tune have gotten a free " good will " bmw service department SCH repair.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #39
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I drove my launch F80 with JB4 map 2 til BM3 came out then ran that stage 2. 35k miles no crank hub issues. So yes I would.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 06:49 PM   #40
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
You're going to worry yourself in circles.
It's a stage 1. As soon as you tune it, your warranty is technically voided anyway.

Then you'll need to worry about which crankhub vendor will fix it and if they manufactured it right or if their engineers designed it to work properly

Then whomever did the install, did they install it right and how long will it last and if not, who's going to cover the cost of your engine and labor if they didn't.

Do you have the money in reserve in the event some goes catastrophic? Not like BMW won't notice a crankhub modification.

Of course many people are running stage 1 and 2 without issues without any "fixes" and like the poll when I submitted, ended up 50/50. And then people who were stock had a CH slip.

Lol. Good luck.
This was my approach and philosophy. I put $ in reserve, but assumed nothing would happen with a stage 1, no track time, and no kick downs, but then something did happen. I personally would recommend tuning, but knowing this issue exists, it's up to you to decide if you can afford it if something happens, and BMW doesn't want to goodwill your SCH.

Remember, just the crank hub itself is one thing, but if you get contact in a cylinder, or similar damage, you're looking at an engine rebuild/replace, not just a crankhub replacement (a stock crankhub, no less). Even removing your tune, BMW is going to know the kind of boost you've been putting down, and may or may not play along. It could be a few $grand, or you could be forced to buy out your lease.

Think of it this way: running a tune has risks. If you're okay with them, do it. I was. I tuned all of my owned and leased BMWs with stage 1 piggybacks. I remember my CA actually *recommending* I tune my F31 when I took delivery. But remember one of the risks is your dealer deciding not to warranty the work if you run into problems. I have nothing against BMWNA or any dealer. They've always treated me very well, but when it comes to major damage, they will definitely push back, and you could run out of luck. You'll be taking as much risk as you did with your crank hub.

I say tune it without upgrading the CH, but keep some $ lying around.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 07:20 PM   #41
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
This was my approach and philosophy. I put $ in reserve, but assumed nothing would happen with a stage 1, no track time, and no kick downs, but then something did happen. I personally would recommend tuning, but knowing this issue exists, it's up to you to decide if you can afford it if something happens, and BMW doesn't want to goodwill your SCH.
Did you find out exactly why it slipped? Was it the bolt or friction plate? I'm guessing the bolt since you just had stage 1, so a bolt capture may have been a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 08:38 PM   #42
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post

Remember, just the crank hub itself is one thing, but if you get contact in a cylinder, or similar damage, you're looking at an engine rebuild/replace, not just a crankhub replacement (a stock crankhub, no less). Even removing your tune, BMW is going to know the kind of boost you've been putting down, and may or may not play along. It could be a few $grand, or you could be forced to buy out your lease.

Think of it this way: running a tune has risks. If you're okay with them, do it. I was. I tuned all of my owned and leased BMWs with stage 1 piggybacks. I remember my CA actually *recommending* I tune my F31 when I took delivery. But remember one of the risks is your dealer deciding not to warranty the work if you run into problems. I have nothing against BMWNA or any dealer. They've always treated me very well, but when it comes to major damage, they will definitely push back, and you could run out of luck. You'll be taking as much risk as you did with your crank hub.

I say tune it without upgrading the CH, but keep some $ lying around.

I was hoping to see if BMW would have replace your engine under warranty. I guess we will never know now.
      09-01-2020, 12:20 AM   #43
Boostd4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post

When my BMW warranty expires, I might just flash a comp pack / CS tune and call it a day.
The car tempts me to break enough traffic laws as it is...

I also see you're in California... isn't the 'premium' fuel there 95RON. Not sure I'd want to be pushing my car's engine on anything less than 98RON, which is BMWs recommended fuel for this car (at least over here, they say 98 recommended, 95 minimum). More power than stock on fuel worse than BMW's recommendation just feels like a bad idea.
I fully agree on both of these points. From the factory the Comp F80s want to blow the tires off the car, doing a CS map would keep me happy. I'm also in CA and unless I want to roll the dice with E85, I'm stuck with 91 octane. Even though the tunes are optimized for different levels of fuel quality, 91 just sucks no matter what.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 02:01 AM   #44
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I spoke at lengths with h2motors here in Germany who have their own CBC solution. They informed me that the CBC is a great solution. That generally speaking, the chances of a SCH is very low and they have seen only a few. They work on tons of M cars and have been fixing the issue from the start of the N54. Also said, they have a lot of cars running only the CBC with 700+nm. So, with all the nonsense I just typed, that's the solution I'm going with. 450€ parts and labor for piece of mind.