proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

10-21-2021, 06:35 PM   #1
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82

Aa mad max + v style 3-piece exhaust = problems (solution inside)

So yday i finally decided to stop being lazy and install my rear diffuser thats been sitting in garage for months...

I had nothing but problem, first they heat shield got in the way, had to remove it. Then the 5th & 6th exhaust tips coming out of the middle can is blocking the diffuser from going in all the way. But they couldnt stop me, i was determined to get it done. Bust out my dremmel tool and went to work

And here's the result
Attached Images

Last edited by wuzhatning; 10-27-2021 at 05:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:35 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Looks great, good job on getting it done

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Ran into the exact same problem with mine...came up with the exact same solution haha. Cutting that CF left such a mess to clean up.
      10-27-2021, 05:30 AM   #4
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Looks great, good job on getting it done
haha good thing i didnt buy the real vorsteiner one, wouldn't have the balls to dremel it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
Ran into the exact same problem with mine...came up with the exact same solution haha. Cutting that CF left such a mess to clean up.
lol glad to know someone else shared my pain hows your diffuser holding up against the heat now that the heat shield is gone?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 01:32 PM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Guyyyyyyssss

You shouldn't have to cut your diffuser. I have Mike's V-style tucked in right with an AA Single+Mad Max. Just remove Max's added aluminum heat plate (2 small hex bolts w 2 crown nuts), and then add one 13mm (?) upside down flange nut above the rubber exhaust hanger mounts on the rearward long studs (one each side, as a spacer). This lowers Max just enough for the diffuser to tuck in. Only the 2 original mounting screws are holding my middle diffuser on right and the dumps barely touch the fins. It all works (except my trunk-kick, which I hated anyway and had coded off).

Mike's carbon fiber hasn't melted or warped, nor has it even felt hot after my drag strip runs with the dumps open. I guess only the plastic or diffusers have a melt problem, or I'm lucky. I do have the real Vorsteiner GTS rear 1-piece to mount in the near future, but Mike's piece that I moved over from my F80 shows me there's no problem. It's exact same size as real V.
Attached Images

10-31-2021, 03:32 AM   #6
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Guyyyyyyssss

You shouldn't have to cut your diffuser. I have Mike's V-style tucked in right with an AA Single+Mad Max. Just remove Max's added aluminum heat plate (2 small hex bolts w 2 crown nuts), and then add one 13mm (?) upside down flange nut above the rubber exhaust hanger mounts on the rearward long studs (one each side, as a spacer). This lowers Max just enough for the diffuser to tuck in. Only the 2 original mounting screws are holding my middle diffuser on right and the dumps barely touch the fins. It all works (except my trunk-kick, which I hated anyway and had coded off).

Mike's carbon fiber hasn't melted or warped, nor has it even felt hot after my drag strip runs with the dumps open. I guess only the plastic or diffusers have a melt problem, or I'm lucky. I do have the real Vorsteiner GTS rear 1-piece to mount in the near future, but Mike's piece that I moved over from my F80 shows me there's no problem. It's exact same size as real V.
interesting solution, idk if there's any difference between your version and my aliexpress version, but i couldn't get the diffuser to go in all the way without cutting. My diffuser wouldn't clear the exhaust tips from the middle can like yours did.
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5458.50
      10-31-2021, 10:12 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzhatning View Post
interesting solution, idk if there's any difference between your version and my aliexpress version, but i couldn't get the diffuser to go in all the way without cutting. My diffuser wouldn't clear the exhaust tips from the middle can like yours did.
Please note this the version Jimmy's got is our 5th and newest revision of this item.

We kept changing the design until we reached a quality/fitment level we were happy with.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
wuzhatning
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Please note this the version Jimmy's got is our 5th and newest revision of this item.

We kept changing the design until we reached a quality/fitment level we were happy with.
i think if i remember correctly, you're the only seller that stand behind clear coat quality for external carbon fiber pieces right? You're always my first choice Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 07:59 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzhatning View Post
i think if i remember correctly, you're the only seller that stand behind clear coat quality for external carbon fiber pieces right? You're always my first choice Mike
Thank you for the kinds words and support

Appreciate 0