Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-14-2017, 04:47 AM   #1
Danidanio
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW f82 CP blackout

Loud custom exhaust back box delete?

Hey guys.

I saw a company in the UK that sells custom exhaust systems. They told me they can make my car sound as I want. I said that I want something loud but without touching cats because Im from Belgium and they are quite strict regarding emissions (pollution thing) here.
So they sent me a vid of an exhaust they fitted on a M3.
The thing is that they deleted the backbox and thats what they also recommend me to do. And they can also put a valve tronic system to it.
But I wanted to know, if I delete the backbox, could it somehow «*damage*» my car??

And what do you guys think of this exhaust/sound?

Im still thinking about Remus non resonated but the good thing with that custom exhaust is its price lol.

Thanks for your help!

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danidanio View Post
Hey guys.

I saw a company in the UK that sells custom exhaust systems. They told me they can make my car sound as I want. I said that I want something loud but without touching cats because Im from Belgium and they are quite strict regarding emissions (pollution thing) here.
The thing is that they deleted the backbox and thats what they also recommend me to do. And they can also put a valve tronic system to it.
But I wanted to know, if I delete the backbox, could it somehow «*damage*» my car??

Im still thinking about Remus non resonated but the good thing with that custom exhaust is its price lol.

Thanks for your help!

By "back box" do you mean the resonator?

That will make it a little bit louder.

If you are talking about the muffler, that will make it a lot louder but valves wouldn't do anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Hey guys.

Thanks for your help!

You'll regret this. You want valves, trust me
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F82

Quote:
Hey guys.

Thanks for your help!

if you buy the s55, you just have to accept the exhaust note that comes with it. It can only be slightly improved, very slightly. It is not worth the expense of the new exhaust in my opinion. Spend that money on track mods, take it to the track, drive it like you stole it, and enjoy the car!!
Appreciate 1
M5Rlz248.50
      10-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvineTim View Post
if you buy the s55, you just have to accept the exhaust note that comes with it. It can only be slightly improved, very slightly. It is not worth the expense of the new exhaust in my opinion. Spend that money on track mods, take it to the track, drive it like you stole it, and enjoy the car!!
I kinda agree with you. But I also think you need to trial and error till you get the sound you want (don't have to just accept it, it's the worst part of the car). After I tried 7 exhaust systems, the best way to improve the sound on these cars is to run a single midpipe into a valved titanium muffler. Example would be AA midpipe with Akrapovic or MPE muffler.

IMO it really improves the sound, makes it sort of exotic and proper. No more rasp.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM4Dominate View Post
I kinda agree with you. But I also think you need to trial and error till you get the sound you want (don't have to just accept it, it's the worst part of the car). After I tried 7 exhaust systems, the best way to improve the sound on these cars is to run a single midpipe into a valved titanium muffler. Example would be AA midpipe with Akrapovic or MPE muffler.

IMO it really improves the sound, makes it sort of exotic and proper. No more rasp.
You paid for 7 different exhaust systems before you found one you liked?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You paid for 7 different exhaust systems before you found one you liked?
Pretty much, but resale value has been really good for every system.

That's why I like to give advice to others so they can get it right the first time
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #8
Danidanio
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys.

Thanks for your help!

You'll regret this. You want valves, trust me
Even if they somehow install a valve tronic system?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #9
Danidanio
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys.

Thanks for your help!

S55 exhaust is the worst part of the car lol. It?s the first thing I?m thinking modifying.. and tbh, I never track my car. Only DD.. but thanks anyways
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 04:37 PM   #10
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
S55 exhaust is the worst part of the car lol. It?s the first thing I?m thinking modifying.. and tbh, I never track my car. Only DD.. but thanks anyways
I bought mine to track, and it was a blast being faster than everything else out there. Boyhood dreams coming true..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #11
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

Valve controller can make it loud all the time instead of only in first and second under throttle.

I went from stock to CG controller and that made the exhaust much louder all the time. You can also just unplug the valves after they are open. Stock exhaust is pretty loud with valves open. In Sport+, I think the valves close after second gear and on downshifts.

I now have AWE with valve controller. Sounds very different than stock and is a bit louder (probably due to secondary cat and resonator deletes).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 08:46 PM   #12
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
If you delete the muffler box altogether, what is the point of a "valvetronic"? Usually the valves close to redirect the entire exhaust flow to the actual muffler box. If you delete your muffler box, there is no point to a valve system as there is no other option for redirecting the flow.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #13
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
If you delete the muffler box altogether, what is the point of a "valvetronic"? Usually the valves close to redirect the entire exhaust flow to the actual muffler box. If you delete your muffler box, there is no point to a valve system as there is no other option for redirecting the flow.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 10:37 PM   #14
Danidanio
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
Quote:
Oh yeah my bad. But in that case, would u recommend me doing it? Because after all, valves with a valve system are only there to «*control*» the sound. And since Im looking for something loud all the time.. Should I do it?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 11:19 PM   #15
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah my bad. But in that case, would u recommend me doing it? Because after all, valves with a valve system are only there to «*control*» the sound. And since Im looking for something loud all the time.. Should I do it?

Thanks
You can ignore my advice if you want. But guaranteed you will post it for sale within a month cause you will hate not having valves.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 11:22 PM   #16
Danidanio
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
You can ignore my advice if you want. But guaranteed you will post it for sale within a month cause you will hate not having valves.

Good luck
No man im not ignoring, just thinking if its rlly worth it.. I just dont know how I could hate not having them..
Well if the guy can install all that for cheap enough, ill give it a try. And even if I dont like it, I will put some Remus shit and that?s it
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 01:21 AM   #17
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
I've heard the competition package helps, but I've not heard a single 2015 like I had regardless of exhaust or amount spent that I was like WALA its fixed lol
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #18
Danidanio
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

Good luck
And do u think deleting the back box will somehow damage my car or cause trouble..?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #19
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

Good luck
And do u think deleting the back box will somehow damage my car or cause trouble..?
What do you mean by "back box"? Use terms like "resonator", "muffler", etc
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 01:20 AM   #20
Danidanio
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

Good luck
What do you mean by "back box"? Use terms like "resonator", "muffler", etc
The muffler
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #21
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The muffler
Not sure how you can have valves on an exhaust system without a muffler. That would probably make it so that your exhaust is closed with no where to go. That can't be good for your engine.
Appreciate 0