Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #23
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
All that matters in life.

Right?!

Otherwise I'd just stick to iracing and other video games instead of camping out in the paddock all weekend

EDIT: @ohioRiderAaron and @SVT_Shadow, aren't both of you using 100tw tires and driving hard enough to turn the blue calipers green? Truly, one brake fluid change per year is working for you guys? How many track hours is that in between changes. thanks for the perspective

Last edited by nicknaz; 09-06-2019 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 08:07 PM   #24
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
What do you think about people who go under their car after each event and put a wrench on every possible bolt and tighten it?

That could be considered the pinnacle of unnecessary touching of things on the car by some, and an absolutely necessary part of post track maintenance by others

I am not there yet, but my teammate keeps pushing me to do it, and I am starting to come around to her point of view
Unless the car is from the stone age that sounds like a horrible idea. But then again I regularly see people torquing wheels after every session with hot wheels and bolts/studs
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #25
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:

Right?!

Otherwise I'd just stick to iracing and other video games instead of camping out in the paddock all weekend

EDIT: @ohioRiderAaron and @SVT_Shadow, aren't both of you using 100tw tires and driving hard enough to turn the blue calipers green? Truly, one brake fluid change per year is working for you guys? How many track hours is that in between changes. thanks for the perspective
literally one change a year

I've never run the front stock calipers on the F80 or the E9X, just the PFC BBK, but I did run the rears on the F80 and turned them green and burnt the dust boots in a weekend, so now there's a BBK back there as well (AP Radical in the rear of the F80)

It really says something when I can deplete a 28mm pad over a 2 day weekend due to braking like a nutjob but never run into performance issues with the brakes.

If I did not push braking zones then the pads would last plenty, but believe me, there is no more effective way to get a Cup car out of your way than 'terror tactics', aka them thinking you are going to plow into them in each braking zone

Now it seems like SRF is hard to come by in the US, so I've spent some time buying that good stuff from everyone I could find and now have 10 bottles sitting downstairs in the basement together with my pads and rotors. That's how good that it is
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      09-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #26
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
SRF Backorder ships tomorrow from speedway motors, will confirm if this actually happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
literally one change a year

I've never run the front stock calipers on the F80 or the E9X, just the PFC BBK, but I did run the rears on the F80 and turned them green and burnt the dust boots in a weekend, so now there's a BBK back there as well (AP Radical in the rear of the F80)

It really says something when I can deplete a 28mm pad over a 2 day weekend due to braking like a nutjob but never run into performance issues with the brakes.

If I did not push braking zones then the pads would last plenty, but believe me, there is no more effective way to get a Cup car out of your way than 'terror tactics', aka them thinking you are going to plow into them in each braking zone

Now it seems like SRF is hard to come by in the US, so I've spent some time buying that good stuff from everyone I could find and now have 10 bottles sitting downstairs in the basement together with my pads and rotors. That's how good that it is
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11462.00
      09-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #27
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
Braking as late as possible surely gives one of most significant lap time improvements, but (especially for newly learning people) braking real hard would be one of the last pieces of the puzzle after mastering/at least becoming good with other basics.
It's actually the opposite. Maximizing braking deceleration is where the least time can be gained. Think about what is the proportionate amount of time you spend braking over the course of an entire lap, it is pretty minimal.

In fact, I'd say most novice and intermediate can gain way more time by braking LESS and increase cornering speeds.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 07:28 PM   #28
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
It's actually the opposite. Maximizing braking deceleration is where the least time can be gained. Think about what is the proportionate amount of time you spend braking over the course of an entire lap, it is pretty minimal.

In fact, I'd say most novice and intermediate can gain way more time by braking LESS and increase cornering speeds.
If you count on all the corners on an entire lap, you are right for smaller braking zones. However, for big braking zones after long straights I think it makes significant difference. I agree that novice and intermediate would rather lose entry speed from too much braking or it can get dangerous due to aggressive trail braking without good weight transfer and recovery skills. I actually learned like you say by focusing on entry speed, car control at limits and smooth weight transfer rather than braking hard. Then I realized I was not braking hard enough, and figured out braking harder/later and raising my top speed few miles higher in just two long straights made quite a bit of lap time improvement.

Not to debate nor project my ego, but just sharing what I learned personally while still endlessly learning.

Edit: For novice/intermediate you are right on braking hard will actually lose time and it's correct to say braking hard is not a way for easy lap time improvement. So my statement is wrong in that sense and I can be bashed. But for maximizing braking while also maximizing all other- entry-mid-exit speed, I think it gives significant improvements.

Last edited by MyFragileHalogen; 09-08-2019 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 04:47 AM   #29
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:

I agree with this.

Also, in terms of lap times, braking is not just about slowing the car down. Getting the balance and setup of the car through corners is just as important. Finessing the brake pedal to balance the car, maximise corner speed is where there is a lot of time to be gained for novices. The brake pedal is not an on/off switch, and you don’t necessarily want to be slamming it on at the last possible moment.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #30
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:

Right?!

One fluid change per year, never had an issue with fluid whether Motul or OE. Sorry I don't have a log of track hours; multiple events (Watkins/Pitt/NCM), running "instructor" pace for most sessions. Honestly I'd bet you could over a year of use out of it without issues, but I prefer to have everything fresh at the beginning of the track season.

Quote:

Novice and immediate should work on carrying more speed in the tighter section areas first then work up the speed in the high V-max areas. Eventually every area of the track matters tho . My experience is I always leave a few tenths out there if I dont get those extra few mph on the back/front straights.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #31
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
Novice and immediate should work on carrying more speed in the tighter section areas first then work up the speed in the high V-max areas. Eventually every area of the track matters tho . My experience is I always leave a few tenths out there if I dont get those extra few mph on the back/front straights.
Hi, I since we have been discussing braking, I wanted to share some insights from reviewing data with my teammate yesterday at Sonoma, as I'm working on getting down to the target time for my SM, and found 3 things that could help others:
  • transition from throttle to brake was too slow in some areas (e.g. there was a gap in throttle position going to 0 and start of brake pressure going non zero). This coasting cost me some MPH and time
  • My deceleration Gs started sooner and my brake PSI was lower, as compared to my faster teammate. combined with point 1 above, this means I need to keep the full throttle longer, and brake over a shorter distance with higher pressure on the brake pedal. This cost me a lot, since it enables competitors to pass me more easily under braking, on top of the time i lose from being off the gas
  • i am 5-7mph slower entering T10 at sonoma (fastest section, least run offs) and need to work up to a more appropriate entry speed

I can't say enough good things about having a driver data logger, data from a front runner competitor, and same day data from a faster teammate, and a friend/coach to help out. Now that I'm within 5% of the car's target time, qualitative feedback isn't as helpful anymore.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      09-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #32
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Hi, I since we have been discussing braking, I wanted to share some insights from reviewing data with my teammate yesterday at Sonoma, as I'm working on getting down to the target time for my SM, and found 3 things that could help others:
  • transition from throttle to brake was too slow in some areas (e.g. there was a gap in throttle position going to 0 and start of brake pressure going non zero). This coasting cost me some MPH and time
  • My deceleration Gs started sooner and my brake PSI was lower, as compared to my faster teammate. combined with point 1 above, this means I need to keep the full throttle longer, and brake over a shorter distance with higher pressure on the brake pedal. This cost me a lot, since it enables competitors to pass me more easily under braking, on top of the time i lose from being off the gas
  • i am 5-7mph slower entering T10 at sonoma (fastest section, least run offs) and need to work up to a more appropriate entry speed

I can't say enough good things about having a driver data logger, data from a front runner competitor, and same day data from a faster teammate, and a friend/coach to help out. Now that I'm within 5% of the car's target time, qualitative feedback isn't as helpful anymore.
Good points. The spec classes are so competitive and all the cars are same HP/weight, its very difficult to pass a similar competitor on acceleration or corner exit. The vast majority of my passes in W2W come in the braking zone or at least setup by the brake zone. Learning how to set someone up, being able to brake later than them, and still control the car while at the limit is one of the art forms of racing we all try to master.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #33
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:

Yup good points! I use HLT and briefly tried AIMsolo but I honestly don't spend enough time digging into data, I definitely know I'm leaving time out on the track. If I venture into W2W or karting I will try diving deeper again. For the most part my transition from full throttle to brake is pretty quick (I think) and shows up in graph as a pretty sharp curve/slope change.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #34
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
SRF is undoubtedly a better and more capable brake fluid than the Super DOT 4 that I use - but the Service Dept at my dealership said that would void the warranty for the brakes (the silocone based brake fluids can foam up from the ABS being triggered - which can cause brake system damage - which would alert the service tech to the use of silicone brake fluid - which would mean no warranty coverage).

I think more advanced drivers could justify the potential voiding of warranty coverage - but at my level (novice to intermediate) Super DOT 4 is more than sufficient...
Note SRF is not silicon based. Silicon based is DOT 5.1 IIRC

SRF does not void any warranty, besides, I would love to see anyone visually distinguish OEM fluids from SRF
Good to know - dealership using scare tactics? :
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11462.00
      09-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #35
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
SRF Backorder ships tomorrow from speedway motors, will confirm if this actually happens
Yeah, still on back order, EVERYWHERE -SRF
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #36
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
Yeah, still on back order, EVERYWHERE -SRF
I have 2 bottles I’m not using (my SM is not brake intensive enough to need it and have been using Motul 600)

PM me?
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      09-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #37
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

I do a full flush every 50x20 min sessions (~2000kms)
I bleed the callipers all 6 nipples every 10-20 depending on pedal feel