proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
Bryanh24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Eibach or MP HAS?

So I got a used set of Eibach V2 lowering springs for my f80 zcp. I always had the MP HAS idea in the back of my head but couldn't refuse the deal I got on the Eibach lowering springs and I read that they were pretty good just for lowering springs. Should I sell the Eibach springs and get the MP HAS? I like the idea of the MP HAS because of the adjustability and of course it is made by BMW themselves. My car is a daily driver and still want ZCP ride quality(a little stiffer is okay). Not sure if I should keep the Eibach's and put those on or just pull the trigger on the MP HAS. Let me get your guys' .02, thanks!
      07-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
I have been going back and forth between the idea of Eibach v1, Eibach v2 and the MP HAS options.

I'll start by saying that in the end (literally this morning), I ended up pulling the trigger on the Eibach v1's as they tend to have a more subtle drop than the v2's. And since I only plan on installing the front two springs, leaving the rear OEM springs in place (already sits/rides perfect), spending the money on a full MP HAS kit seemed unnecessary.

With that said, if you are going to swap all 4 springs, the MP HAS kit is the way to go, in my opinion. I love the idea of being able to easily lower it in the summer and raise it in the colder months, or even just when you know you are going to be on a road trip with more significant road clearance issues.

MP HAS definitely has the most versatility. But it's also going to come at the highest premium, both in terms of the price of the parts and the labor cost to install it. You can obviously offset the cost a bit if you plan to install it yourself, though.

Just my $0.02.
      07-09-2019, 08:02 PM   #3
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Looking forward to hearing your honest opinion on how just changing the front springs affects ride quality and what the drop looks like.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also you should do it yourself if you enjoy wrenching on your car. I know I do and if you work on your own car you are assured that no jackass who could care less is going to scratch your car up as he pulls out those front struts. Many YouTube videos on the web that show how to do it yourself. You can do everything yourself these days thanks to YouTube!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #5
Bryanh24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4toM3 View Post
I have been going back and forth between the idea of Eibach v1, Eibach v2 and the MP HAS options.

I'll start by saying that in the end (literally this morning), I ended up pulling the trigger on the Eibach v1's as they tend to have a more subtle drop than the v2's. And since I only plan on installing the front two springs, leaving the rear OEM springs in place (already sits/rides perfect), spending the money on a full MP HAS kit seemed unnecessary.

With that said, if you are going to swap all 4 springs, the MP HAS kit is the way to go, in my opinion. I love the idea of being able to easily lower it in the summer and raise it in the colder months, or even just when you know you are going to be on a road trip with more significant road clearance issues.

MP HAS definitely has the most versatility. But it's also going to come at the highest premium, both in terms of the price of the parts and the labor cost to install it. You can obviously offset the cost a bit if you plan to install it yourself, though.

Just my $0.02.
Yeah man I'm torn right now! There are so many different opinions on here it drives me crazy lol!! But yeah I am planning on doing all 4 springs and was set on the eibach but then thought about long term reliability on the shocks and thought it was smarter of course when I got the eibach's to get a BMW M performance part that was tested well by BMW. I guess I'll have to do some more digging!
      07-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I hope to not hijack the OPs thread, but below are some responses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Looking forward to hearing your honest opinion on how just changing the front springs affects ride quality and what the drop looks like.
In the Eibach thread there are a few people who changed out just the front springs for Eibach v1/v2s. They reportedly have the same spring rates as OEM standard springs while sitting a bit lower. Those who've done it report that the ride feels basically the same.

The reason why I'm against messing with the rears is that, in my opinion, the car already sits almost too low in the rear. In stock form, I can barely get one finger between the fender and the top of the 285/35/19 tire. I wouldn't want to go even another 1mm lower.

I'm also not a fan of the tucked tire look, so it's more personal preference than anything. In a perfect world, I'd have a 1.5 finger gap front and back. Right now I can fit nearly 4 fingers in front. It's ridiculous. This is starting to sound gross...

Quote:
Also you should do it yourself if you enjoy wrenching on your car. I know I do and if you work on your own car you are assured that no jackass who could care less is going to scratch your car up as he pulls out those front struts. Many YouTube videos on the web that show how to do it yourself. You can do everything yourself these days thanks to YouTube!
Completely agree. On past cars I enjoyed swapping out turbos, intercoolers, exhaust, fuel pumps, springs, calipers/rotors etc. etc. I'm just hesitant on this car as I've only had it for 2 months and I'm brand new to the BMW world, let alone the 'M' world.

And I absolutely get your point about shop carelessness. That terrifies me. Which is why I'm being extremely picky with my shop of choice and only going with one that has many solid reviews from owners with similar/same cars getting work done there. I'm actually waiting on a final quote from them today. If it's too much I'll probably just sack up and tackle the project with a buddy.

Last edited by DadVibes; 07-10-2019 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #7
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

The suspension on these cars is probably its strongest trait and significantly egineered. "slapping" something in there just doesnt sit well with me. So i am learning towards the MP HAS kit. With that said i agree with others..the back sits fine. Spending 2000 to have the front lowered "a lil" seems silly. If it firmed up the ride then id say great and could swallow the pill. But from what i read its the same ride. Its an aesthetics mode. so again, lowering the front 1/3 of inch or whatever it is versus spending $2000 doesnt seem like an attractive value proposition.

Mp has would be my next mod and it may still happen. Just not motivated given my thinking above.

Its kind of like moding an e46 m3. Going to spend all this money and get a measly 20hp. Gonna get headaches and so....why.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
Thespaz18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I'm in the same boat, except I currently have V1's on my M3. The ride is the same as stock IMO, but I want to go a bit lower in the front. I'm contemplating getting V2's since I've read they'll lower the front just a bit (maybe 0.2) and I know the ride quality will be the same. That said, I'm also considering the MP HAS, but am uncertain how the ride quality will compare.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #9
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespaz18 View Post
I'm in the same boat, except I currently have V1's on my M3. The ride is the same as stock IMO, but I want to go a bit lower in the front. I'm contemplating getting V2's since I've read they'll lower the front just a bit (maybe 0.2) and I know the ride quality will be the same. That said, I'm also considering the MP HAS, but am uncertain how the ride quality will compare.
It sounds like you would recommend the v2 front only eibach springs vs. the v1? I'm struggling over the choice since I also want to leave the back springs stock. I like Oem parts as well but in reality would probably never change the MP HAS height once I set them. So $1300 vs. $220 to lower the front? Would love to see what the v1 fronts vs v2 fronts look like.

S4toM3 has a great post showing the v1s in full effect. --
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1098

Last edited by noone; 07-23-2019 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
DadVibes1239.50
      07-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #10
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
^^ Yep! Since initially posting in this thread I did end up going with the Eibach v1's and am quite happy with the results. I'd go this route again in a heartbeat.

Cliff's Notes:
Ride quality/feel is just as good as OEM with the addition of a more planted feel while cornering (notably less body roll). Not to mention the elimination of that front wheel gap.

As I said before, the HAS kit is definitely the most 'proper' way to go. But for me, the cost-benefit of the HAS kit just wasn't high enough to justify going that route.

Last edited by DadVibes; 07-23-2019 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #11
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

MP HAS.

All day, every day.
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
      07-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #12
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4toM3 View Post
^^ Yep! Since initially posting in this thread I did end up going with the Eibach v1's and am quite happy with the results. I'd go this route again in a heartbeat.

Cliff's Notes:
Ride quality/feel is just as good as OEM with the addition of a more planted feel while cornering (notably less body roll). Not to mention the elimination of that front wheel gap.

As I said before, the HAS kit is definitely the most 'proper' way to go. But for me, the cost-benefit of the HAS kit just wasn't high enough to justify going that route.
Have you noticed any of the clunking issues with your new front springs detailed in this post?
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1637057
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #13
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

Only putting eibach fronts is the equivalent of cutting springs on your civic.
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 09:27 PM   #14
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

With all the spring options for the F80, it can be very tempting to go that route. And some of them, including the Eibach, are perfectly fine. But for me, I'm going the HAS route simply because it was engineered for the car. I personally believe that with a car like this, one should stay as close to OEM as possible.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      07-27-2019, 09:28 PM   #15
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

So what’s deal. Is HAS the same
Spring rate as oem
ZCP??? If so how does it help with body roll?? Bc the front is half an inch lower??? I doubt that impacts it much. I am thinking has is an aesthetics mod only. Bummmer if same spring rate. For those with civics it’s probably an uptick.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 02:13 AM   #16
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
So what’s deal. Is HAS the same
Spring rate as oem
ZCP??? If so how does it help with body roll?? Bc the front is half an inch lower??? I doubt that impacts it much. I am thinking has is an aesthetics mod only. Bummmer if same spring rate. For those with civics it’s probably an uptick.
No one ever said that. Spring rate has never been published.
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:29 PM   #17
DadVibes
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Have you noticed any of the clunking issues with your new front springs detailed in this post?
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1637057
Nope. But my guess is that something simply isn't torqued to spec in his case. The first thing I'd do is check the torque on the strut spindle nut to make sure the strut isn't getting any play where it meets the top hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut View Post
Only putting eibach fronts is the equivalent of cutting springs on your civic.
What a ridiculous comparison.

The rear springs would take all of 20 minutes to install, if I wanted to. But why drop the rear further, when it already sits nearly too low in stock form?

And since the Eibach springs provide the same spring rates as stock, installing just the fronts simply eliminates the front wheel gap while keeping overall ride quality completely in tact. Comparing it to cutting springs is pretty asinine.

Last edited by DadVibes; 07-30-2019 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 05:42 AM   #18
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

I went from lowering springs (Macht Schnell) to MP HAS

The main difference is the fact that with MP HAS I can actually tell the difference between the three suspension modes. With the springs I could barely tell the difference.
Besides, MP Has rides a lot better, gives you ole ty of adjustability and is OEM!

Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      08-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #19
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

S4toM3 - Does your car still ride like stock and you can feel the difference between the 3 suspension modes of EDC?

Interesting that Tommy above says that he didn't notice any difference when he had his Macht Schnell springs on but now feels that the MP HAS are superior.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #20
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
S4toM3 - Does your car still ride like stock and you can feel the difference between the 3 suspension modes of EDC?

Interesting that Tommy above says that he didn't notice any difference when he had his Macht Schnell springs on but now feels that the MP HAS are superior.
The best description I've heard is that every mode is one level stiffer (economy feels like sport now, sport feels like sport+).

However, stiffer does not mean more jarring. I feel the car is more planted now and reacts to road imperfections better than before. I still drive around in sport 80% of the time. I even drive in sport+ more now than before because the ride has improved that much.
Appreciate 1
minn1913970.00
      08-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #21
noone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Right but how does that translate when you only change out the front springs as S4toM3 did?
Appreciate 0