Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
Bryanh24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Eibach or MP HAS?

So I got a used set of Eibach V2 lowering springs for my f80 zcp. I always had the MP HAS idea in the back of my head but couldn't refuse the deal I got on the Eibach lowering springs and I read that they were pretty good just for lowering springs. Should I sell the Eibach springs and get the MP HAS? I like the idea of the MP HAS because of the adjustability and of course it is made by BMW themselves. My car is a daily driver and still want ZCP ride quality(a little stiffer is okay). Not sure if I should keep the Eibach's and put those on or just pull the trigger on the MP HAS. Let me get your guys' .02, thanks!
      07-09-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
S4toM3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 | MGM | 6MT

I have been going back and forth between the idea of Eibach v1, Eibach v2 and the MP HAS options.

I'll start by saying that in the end (literally this morning), I ended up pulling the trigger on the Eibach v1's as they tend to have a more subtle drop than the v2's. And since I only plan on installing the front two springs, leaving the rear OEM springs in place (already sits/rides perfect), spending the money on a full MP HAS kit seemed unnecessary.

With that said, if you are going to swap all 4 springs, the MP HAS kit is the way to go, in my opinion. I love the idea of being able to easily lower it in the summer and raise it in the colder months, or even just when you know you are going to be on a road trip with more significant road clearance issues.

MP HAS definitely has the most versatility. But it's also going to come at the highest premium, both in terms of the price of the parts and the labor cost to install it. You can obviously offset the cost a bit if you plan to install it yourself, though.

Just my $0.02.

Previous: B8.5 S4 | DSG | EPL Stg2
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:02 PM   #3
noone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Looking forward to hearing your honest opinion on how just changing the front springs affects ride quality and what the drop looks like.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
noone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Also you should do it yourself if you enjoy wrenching on your car. I know I do and if you work on your own car you are assured that no jackass who could care less is going to scratch your car up as he pulls out those front struts. Many YouTube videos on the web that show how to do it yourself. You can do everything yourself these days thanks to YouTube!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #5
Bryanh24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4toM3 View Post
I have been going back and forth between the idea of Eibach v1, Eibach v2 and the MP HAS options.

I'll start by saying that in the end (literally this morning), I ended up pulling the trigger on the Eibach v1's as they tend to have a more subtle drop than the v2's. And since I only plan on installing the front two springs, leaving the rear OEM springs in place (already sits/rides perfect), spending the money on a full MP HAS kit seemed unnecessary.

With that said, if you are going to swap all 4 springs, the MP HAS kit is the way to go, in my opinion. I love the idea of being able to easily lower it in the summer and raise it in the colder months, or even just when you know you are going to be on a road trip with more significant road clearance issues.

MP HAS definitely has the most versatility. But it's also going to come at the highest premium, both in terms of the price of the parts and the labor cost to install it. You can obviously offset the cost a bit if you plan to install it yourself, though.

Just my $0.02.
Yeah man I'm torn right now! There are so many different opinions on here it drives me crazy lol!! But yeah I am planning on doing all 4 springs and was set on the eibach but then thought about long term reliability on the shocks and thought it was smarter of course when I got the eibach's to get a BMW M performance part that was tested well by BMW. I guess I'll have to do some more digging!
      07-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
S4toM3
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 | MGM | 6MT

I hope to not hijack the OPs thread, but below are some responses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Looking forward to hearing your honest opinion on how just changing the front springs affects ride quality and what the drop looks like.
In the Eibach thread there are a few people who changed out just the front springs for Eibach v1/v2s. They reportedly have the same spring rates as OEM standard springs while sitting a bit lower. Those who've done it report that the ride feels basically the same.

The reason why I'm against messing with the rears is that, in my opinion, the car already sits almost too low in the rear. In stock form, I can barely get one finger between the fender and the top of the 285/35/19 tire. I wouldn't want to go even another 1mm lower.

I'm also not a fan of the tucked tire look, so it's more personal preference than anything. In a perfect world, I'd have a 1.5 finger gap front and back. Right now I can fit nearly 4 fingers in front. It's ridiculous. This is starting to sound gross...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Also you should do it yourself if you enjoy wrenching on your car. I know I do and if you work on your own car you are assured that no jackass who could care less is going to scratch your car up as he pulls out those front struts. Many YouTube videos on the web that show how to do it yourself. You can do everything yourself these days thanks to YouTube!
Completely agree. On past cars I enjoyed swapping out turbos, intercoolers, exhaust, fuel pumps, springs, calipers/rotors etc. etc. I'm just hesitant on this car as I've only had it for 2 months and I'm brand new to the BMW world, let alone the 'M' world.

And I absolutely get your point about shop carelessness. That terrifies me. Which is why I'm being extremely picky with my shop of choice and only going with one that has many solid reviews from owners with similar/same cars getting work done there. I'm actually waiting on a final quote from them today. If it's too much I'll probably just sack up and tackle the project with a buddy.

Previous: B8.5 S4 | DSG | EPL Stg2

Last edited by S4toM3; 07-10-2019 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #7
matty088
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

The suspension on these cars is probably its strongest trait and significantly egineered. "slapping" something in there just doesnt sit well with me. So i am learning towards the MP HAS kit. With that said i agree with others..the back sits fine. Spending 2000 to have the front lowered "a lil" seems silly. If it firmed up the ride then id say great and could swallow the pill. But from what i read its the same ride. Its an aesthetics mode. so again, lowering the front 1/3 of inch or whatever it is versus spending $2000 doesnt seem like an attractive value proposition.

Mp has would be my next mod and it may still happen. Just not motivated given my thinking above.

Its kind of like moding an e46 m3. Going to spend all this money and get a measly 20hp. Gonna get headaches and so....why.
Appreciate 0