Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #1
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Rear Toe Link / Control Arm Benefits?

Who is using one of the many aftermarket toe link/lower control arm kits, and what has it done for you?

I see them marketed variously as a stability/handling improvement and as simply an easier way to adjust rear toe.

Dinan makes it clear in the description for their link kit that they will dramatically improve stability and therefore handling. But other companies, like Ground Control and Fall Line, state only that they are designed to make alignments easier.
They are all the same parts, available from some companies as just the pair of links used to adjust toe, and from other companies as a set of four to replace the toe adjustment links and the foward lower/trailing/whatever arms. (All four are the same OE part number).

So, what do these things actually do in real life?

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 09:26 PM   #2
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
Who is using one of the many aftermarket toe link/lower control arm kits, and what has it done for you?

I see them marketed variously as a stability/handling improvement and as simply an easier way to adjust rear toe.

Dinan makes it clear in the description for their link kit that they will dramatically improve stability and therefore handling. But other companies, like Ground Control and Fall Line, state only that they are designed to make alignments easier.
They are all the same parts, available from some companies as just the pair of links used to adjust toe, and from other companies as a set of four to replace the toe adjustment links and the foward lower/trailing/whatever arms. (All four are the same OE part number).

So, what do these things actually do in real life?

[IMG]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1599197717[/IMG]
The amount of toe in you can dial in is limited as you also increase the amount of camber in the rear. The aftermarket toe arms get rid of the eccentric bolt and give you all the toe range you need with increased camber.

They also get rid of the bushings for sphericals so that under load (turns, acceleration, deceleration) the amount of toe doesn't change.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 09:52 PM   #3
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvq View Post
The amount of toe in you can dial in is limited as you also increase the amount of camber in the rear. The aftermarket toe arms get rid of the eccentric bolt and give you all the toe range you need with increased camber.

They also get rid of the bushings for sphericals so that under load (turns, acceleration, deceleration) the amount of toe doesn't change.
I had no issues (other than limited room to work) getting the rear camber and toe where I wanted them.

I'm interested in increased stability, and I'd like to know if switching to the heim joints will actually accomplish that. I think Dinan is trustworthy, but I'm curious as to why another reputable company like Ground Control wouldn't mention anything about stability or handling in their description if these were effective for that.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #4
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
I had no issues (other than limited room to work) getting the rear camber and toe where I wanted them.

I'm interested in increased stability, and I'd like to know if switching to the heim joints will actually accomplish that. I think Dinan is trustworthy, but I'm curious as to why another reputable company like Ground Control wouldn't mention anything about stability or handling in their description if these were effective for that.
There's absolutely going to be a drastic reduction in deflection and more stable toe in all situations with the spherical heim joints. Whether or not you'll notice it is the real question, and I don't think I'm sensitive enough to detect the change when I swapped over since I only changed the toe arm and not the full set so there's still plenty of deflection happening.

As for ground control's ability to market a suspension product effectively - they probably just focus on making products and rely on an informed market segment.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 03:41 PM   #5
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvq View Post

As for ground control's ability to market a suspension product effectively - they probably just focus on making products and rely on an informed market segment.
Yeahhh, but they still need to sell their products. The fact that they're selling this product only as a better means of adjusting alignment makes me wonder why the stability and handling benefits are completely omitted from their description. An informed market segment already knows that they make it easier to adjust the toe 🤷

Maybe they don't want their products returned because they failed on the butt dyno 🤔

Edit: I emailed GC earlier, and they replied and confirmed that the links do improve stability.

Last edited by 1000hp; 02-04-2021 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0