ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-21-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Solo DL Brake Pressure

I have always been interested to know front and rear brake pressure. By reading on Aim website I see brake pressure is listed as channel when using CAN. There is a not at the bottom saying it could vary with year / model.

So I wonder if somebody had success with brake pressure for M4? Do you use Solo DL version 1 or 2?

regards
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 11:21 PM   #2
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

I think it should be the same. I have a 2015 F80 and can confirm you do get brake pressure (PSI/Bar) front and rear when connected via CAN bus.

Edit: I forgot to add I am using solo dl 2
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 06:51 AM   #3
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf80 View Post
I think it should be the same. I have a 2015 F80 and can confirm you do get brake pressure (PSI/Bar) front and rear when connected via CAN bus.

This is really great info. Do you know the values you are getting? I assume something above 1000psi. Do you see the values dropping during trail braking? It can also confirm how the DSC acts and why rear brakes gets really hot.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 07:36 AM   #4
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep

forgot to ask : which year is your car?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 09:31 AM   #5
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4forum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by richf80 View Post

This is really great info. Do you know the values you are getting? I assume something above 1000psi. Do you see the values dropping during trail braking? It can also confirm how the DSC acts and why rear brakes gets really hot.
2015. Yes it is above 1000 PSI. See video link below. The brake pedal bar in the video is a percentage of 14 through 900. There is always a small amount of pressure in brake hence why I start at 14. All the data you see overlayed is from aim solo and can bus channels except IAT. For some reason IAT is not available so I use obd and TrackAddict for that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=491&v=...ature=youtu.be
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #6
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate sharing the video. I noticed the brake goes back and forth so I assume this is not actually the pedal actuation but the brake pressure? According AIM there is front and rear brake pressure how both are combined on the video? As you know some overlay software use acceleration to indicate brake what actually wont represent brake pressure.
You said also the brake bar represents a percentage between 14 and 900. What is this range doesnt seem to be pressure?
Last but not least I noticed the bar never indicated 100% but I am pretty in some point in time you applied full brake.
Very interested in understand your setup as brake pressure is key element on driving analysis.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 04:24 PM   #7
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate sharing the video. I noticed the brake goes back and forth so I assume this is not actually the pedal actuation but the brake pressure? According AIM there is front and rear brake pressure how both are combined on the video? As you know some overlay software use acceleration to indicate brake what actually wont represent brake pressure.
You said also the brake bar represents a percentage between 14 and 900. What is this range doesnt seem to be pressure?
Last but not least I noticed the bar never indicated 100% but I am pretty in some point in time you applied full brake.
Very interested in understand your setup as brake pressure is key element on driving analysis.
Happy to go into detail…

Quote:
I noticed the brake goes back and forth so I assume this is not actually the pedal actuation but the brake pressure?
Correct it is pressure although I'll admit that I could do a better job braking brake pressure drops as I slightly back off the pedal.

Quote:
According AIM there is front and rear brake pressure how both are combined on the video? As you know some overlay software use acceleration to indicate brake what actually wont represent brake pressure.
Yup I am aware. I invested in the AIM device specifically for this reason. I wanted accurate data and wanted to use visual overlays to see my inputs. My previous YouTube videos is calculated brake, but not this one. You do get both front and rear pressure data from CAN bus. I am only displaying the front pressure in the overlays but I have both. I use the AIM data analysis software to view all other data.

Quote:
These are values I configured in the software I am using for the overlays - RaceRender by HP Tuners. Where 0% is 14psi and 100% is 900+psi. I think in this specific video I may have set 100% to 1200, I don't recall. I've been playing around with the settings.

Quote:
This track is not that demanding on the brakes. However, I can also brake deeper into the corners. So what you are seeing is accurate - it's the driver.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any other questions.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2021, 04:29 PM   #8
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hi thank you so much for the details. Looks like we are on the same page.
This information is very very helpful. I will go for it now.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #9
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi thank you so much for the details. Looks like we are on the same page.
This information is very very helpful. I will go for it now.
Awesome! Glad I was able to help.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 03:16 PM   #10
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep

Today I was able to confirm with AIM North America that both Solo DL 1 and Solo DL 2 has the capability of showing and logging brake pressure for F82. For version 1 the recommendation is to use the RS2 file and RS3 for version 2.

Also confirmed that is recommended to have the device firmly attached to the vehicle in order to measure correctly acceleration. make sure after installing the device on its final it gets calibrated.
Appreciate 1
richf8079.00
      05-28-2021, 09:29 AM   #11
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep

On the video did you attach camera to the back window or on the roof?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 11:32 AM   #12
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On the video did you attach camera to the back window or on the roof?
It's attached to the light on the roof using 3m tape. I use an extension to get the camera lower.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 01:04 PM   #13
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep

very interesting. I will take a look on that. Typically I consider the windshield but like the view you got.
Appreciate 0