BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #1
SoupPlug
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM ZCP M3

Crank Bolt Capture

Anyone running the bolt capture solution from Vargas and pushing Stage 2 500+ HP? I know they as well as many other (MaxPSI, Gintani) offer a full solution but I was hoping to get an idea of how many people have just gotten by with the bolt capture alone. I'm FBO but no tune so far, would like to run BM3 in the near future
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupPlug View Post
Anyone running the bolt capture solution from Vargas and pushing Stage 2 500+ HP? I know they as well as many other (MaxPSI, Gintani) offer a full solution but I was hoping to get an idea of how many people have just gotten by with the bolt capture alone. I'm FBO but no tune so far, would like to run BM3 in the near future
It's recommended to run both, see Post #171:

▀▄ eas | VTT "SplineLock" CrankHub Installation Overview for S55
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1561598

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
Bon F80127.00
      03-01-2019, 05:56 PM   #3
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
There are definitely more than a few of us in the same boat as you: We want to tune, but are worried about a SCH. I, like you, would like to do something preventative, but am unwilling to spend $3-5k on a preventative measure for something that may or, more likely, may not break on my engine. This is where the Crank Bolt Capture is appealing. It's inexpensive and fairly easy to install.

Unfortunately, no one is going to tell us anything other than "it's not the complete solution". tom @ eas does a nice job explaining why the Crank Bolt Capture alone will not necessarily prevent a SCH in this post. However, there are some people, like CloudVIII, who have suffered multiple SCHs and, to my knowledge, have had no further failures since the installation of the Crank Bolt Capture. This gives me hope. I know it's not the full solution to the SCH problem, but I would rather do a little something in hopes that it will work than do nothing.

I am heavily leaning towards installing it before I take the car out of hibernation and then doing a light tune (ie. BM3 CS or CS+). I would like to perform the work myself, as the installation of the part itself seems fairly straight forward, but what I don't know is how much $hit has to be removed in the front of the engine to access the pulley.

EDIT:

Crank Bolt Capture installed. My DIY can be found here.

Last edited by Rotzy; 03-21-2019 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Added link to DIY
Appreciate 10
      03-01-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
This is probably what I'm going to do as well except for installing it myself
same for me
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
Bruno_Frascino
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

same bump!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #6
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

Definitely recommended to run both, but the CBC by itself will provide some degree of protection; remember, as stated already nicely by Tom @ EAS, there is more than one cause of slipping a hub. This takes care of one cause... the spline lock does the other.

Chris
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

If someone has a SCH with the bolt capture he will more than likely post it on the forum. Since no one has done so you can assume it's somewhat effective so far. However, I suppose the sample size is pretty small.

Instagram:catpupu_f80
Appreciate 3
      03-02-2019, 09:29 PM   #8
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

How much labor to get it installed?
      03-02-2019, 10:39 PM   #9
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Question:
What happens if the Crank Bolt Capture does not line up with the Crank Bolt and other bolts?
I have heard this, not sure how was resolved or if special tools were needed to get it to line up.
      03-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #10
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Can replace crank bolt and if necessary give 'er a touch extra to ensure it lines up, we have had some guys just give a little more to the installed crank bolt (not recommended... but we've seen it done), and others that were close but didn't want to do either of the options above just enlarged the holes a touch to accommodate existing alignment.

Chris
Appreciate 1
ssgm1x417.50
      03-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #11
cbrtrx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m4

Quote:
Does anyone know how many hours of labor the bolt capture requires?
My friend and I did mine, I'd say about 4 hours labor should be the normal amount.

I also feel that since the capture holes are slotted and the bolt head itself has 6 sides, the capture could be turned so that at some point it would line up with out worries.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      03-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #12
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrtrx View Post
Quote:
Does anyone know how many hours of labor the bolt capture requires?
My friend and I did mine, I'd say about 4 hours labor should be the normal amount.

I also feel that since the capture holes are slotted and the bolt head itself has 6 sides, the capture could be turned so that at some point it would line up with out worries.
Due to a small sample of people running just the capture, well any hub fix in general, could you please elaborate on your experience?

- How many miles with the capture?
- How you spun the hub before?
- Mods?

Thanks.
      03-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #13
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:

Would you mind elaborating on your installation experience? How much stuff had to come out to get to the pully? I'm hoping to tackle this myself and I'm looking for any info/tips you have.
      03-04-2019, 06:13 AM   #14
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
Can replace crank bolt and if necessary give 'er a touch extra to ensure it lines up, we have had some guys just give a little more to the installed crank bolt (not recommended... but we've seen it done), and others that were close but didn't want to do either of the options above just enlarged the holes a touch to accommodate existing alignment.

Chris
A touch off and enlarging the slot is ok but would be great if VTT offered two options 1/ standard clocking and 2/ one that is clocked with another 10 degrees for example.

As part of this you have a buy back scheme for 70% of its value and sell option 2 for msrp and then re on sell the buyback for msrp. Or even better a 3D printable template that u can print yourself to test prior.

Yeah I know all this effort for a 100 buck item probably not worth it.
      03-04-2019, 07:13 AM   #15
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

BTW Chris@VargasTurboTech are you able to confirm if the coolant for low-temperature circuit needs to be drained and the electrical pump needs to be removed to allow removal of the fan cowl and electric fan.

The BMW TIS alludes that this is required to access the vibration damper.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #16
Bmwlmr99
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Was at the circuit of America's race, talked to several teams ( bmw m4 gt4 ) no one was running any type of crank bolt mod etc....cars are stock except cat removal...suspension, aero , chassis and brakes are upgraded
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #17
Bmwlmr99
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

They run these cars hard for an hour or more , some 24hr events....downshifting and upshifts constantly...no issues with sch
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #18
cbrtrx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
Would you mind elaborating on your installation experience? How much stuff had to come out to get to the pully? I'm hoping to tackle this myself and I'm looking for any info/tips you have.
I feel mechanical experience is necessary for this job. A lift helps, you need to get under the car to remove the skid plates to access the lower fan shroud bolts and to also disconnect the intercooler pump as well as radiator hoses in the way. The drivers side intake tube and the carbon strut bar are removed. The fan comes out thru the top after completely disconnecting all the hoses/lines/plugs in the way, it's a very snug fit. Then you can access the hub. If you are careful you can remove all the bolts and the crank pulley will stay in place otherwise its possible for it to fall off. I held it in place while my friend threaded in the bolts for the capture. Having 2 people definitely helps. When he did his by himself the pulley did come off, the pulley sits on a small ledge on the hub. Then when all done you can reassemble and fill the radiator and intercooler tanks and heat cycle the car and top off again. I see no issue with the capture fitting simply because it can be turned 6 times if the bolts don't line up the first time. I'd say the odds of it not fitting after rotating it are pretty slim.

As far as it working all I can say there is a car in our area over 650 rwhp for about 2 years with just the capture on it. Another car in our area with nothing on it spun the hub at around 570 rwhp just from acceleration. In cases where the bolt loosens the capture would prevent that issue. Seems like 3 ways why it spins. Either the friction disc deteriorates/fails, the bolt backs out or it was just not torqued enough from the factory so the hub will just spin at any power level at some point regardless.

Last edited by cbrtrx; 03-04-2019 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #19
cbrtrx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlmr99 View Post
They run these cars hard for an hour or more , some 24hr events....downshifting and upshifts constantly...no issues with sch
I have a feeling those engines are replaced often. I also feel they are assembled to a higher standard then factory production.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #20
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you are careful you can remove all the bolts and the crank pulley will stay in place otherwise its possible for it to fall off. I held it in place while my friend threaded in the bolts for the capture. Having 2 people definitely helps. When he did his by himself the pulley did come off, the pulley sits on a small ledge on the hub. .
what bolts are you removing on the crank pulley?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #21
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep

Do we know if the crank bolt is robot installed or hand installed when factory assembled?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #22
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
BTW Chris@VargasTurboTech are you able to confirm if the coolant for low-temperature circuit needs to be drained and the electrical pump needs to be removed to allow removal of the fan cowl and electric fan.

The BMW TIS alludes that this is required to access the vibration damper.
Nope! Just drop the fan. Very simple.
Appreciate 0