Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-23-2021, 03:21 PM   #5919
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
She says all M cars are POLARIZING and not for everyone to like?!?!
Yeah that was a major WTF moment for me - "they are polarizing" "not meant to please everyone" "meant to move people physically and emotionally"

They're just doubling down on themselves. Also, they come off like they are themselves not quite happy with that they've created... or maybe it's just the clinical German coming through. Although watching Andy P talk about cars, he's clinical and clearly excited
      04-23-2021, 03:38 PM   #5920
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

On the contrary. M cars have always been beautiful and something people have aspired to. Frankly they have never been polarizing. Ever.
Appreciate 4
RugbyBro7601.50
MFNATIK3498.00
six75LT916.50
FormulaMMM3662.50
      04-23-2021, 03:48 PM   #5921
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
On the contrary. M cars have always been beautiful and something people have aspired to. Frankly they have never been polarizing. Ever.
Is this a joke?

The turbos on the F80 were polarizing. The dead, feedback-less steering was polarizing. The crazy torque spike was polarizing. The ridiculous lawnmower exhaust was polarizing.

You have serious perception bias if you think that every older gen was received with open arms.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      04-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #5922
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
Is this a joke?

The turbos on the F80 were polarizing.
The V8 in the previous generation were polarizing.
People though the V8 generation looked too much like the pedestrian 3 series.

You have serious perception bias if you think that every older gen was received with open arms you're nuts.
A bit abrasive. But what I think what you meant to say instead of using "polarizing" is really "controversial" when comparing prior generations. Polarizing is what we have now where the majority of enthusiast hate the design of the car and a small minority are indifferent to it's looks bc it drives well. This is the first M3 that has people actually wondering WTF BMW is thinking when it comes to the styling.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #5923
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Is this a joke?

The turbos on the F80 were polarizing. The dead, feedback-less steering was polarizing. The crazy torque spike was polarizing. The ridiculous lawnmower exhaust was polarizing.

You have serious perception bias if you think that every older gen was received with open arms.
shes (from the video) clearly talking about the appearance
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      04-23-2021, 04:02 PM   #5924
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Is this a joke?

You have serious perception bias if you think that every older gen was received with open arms you're nuts.
I agree that certain attributes were met with resistance, but there was never a complete polarization like there is with G8X. At the end of the day, M-diehards bicker over things like losing DCT, or going turbo, or weight gain, but where I think the majority of resistance is coming from is the drastic design change - which is obvious to the casual/general car "enthusiast" crowd, which I think does influence buying decisions of the general public. I'd wager you a very frosty beverage of your choice that if this (below) was the front-end design, there would still be resistance to items like ZF8, weight gain, insulation, yadayadayada, as there is every generation but there wouldn't the pure polarization that there is now. G8X would then fully be appreciated for the performance monster that it is and not overshadowed by its design. Also, I think it's important to mention, that this is not purely G8X related - BMW is intentionally trying to be polarizing and illicit reactions from people, a departure from how they used to market their vehicles (especially Ms)

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=5868
      04-23-2021, 04:04 PM   #5925
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Is this a joke?

We are talking DESIGN!
The lady in video was on design team and referring from that standpoint....

I can link you all the threads from 2014 when F8x debuted- 90% of comments were positive and no members were being banned. The whole G8x forum is a joke as most ppl can’t participate there and even with that - the comments there are lukewarm at best on new car.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #5926
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Quote:
What are these designers smoking- M cars have always been loved by majority of ppl and the design is only polarizing now since you put a gargantuan grill that ruins the whole car.

The only good design feature are the larger exhaust tips compared with F8x.
Yeah, that stood out me. Polarizing is for Aztecs. Has any prior M car had polarizing looks? Yeesh.

I haven't watched all of it, seemed like it was a lot of 'gum flapping' to justify their design cues. SMH, if its gorgeous, no one needs much of an explanation as to why it is gorgeous.

When I think it can't get worse, I look at the front of the GTS car. I saw a pic with the grille bars painted red. To me, if I saw that coming at me from behind, it looks like a set of red lips coming at me.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 04:19 PM   #5927
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
She's been at BMW for 12 years now. You'd think they let their designers spend at least a good few days a year in the museum.

04-23-2021, 04:25 PM   #5928
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:
Is this a joke?

I agree that certain attributes were met with resistance, but there was never a complete polarization like there is with G8X. At the end of the day, M-diehards bicker over things like losing DCT, or going turbo, or weight gain, but where I think the majority of resistance is coming from is the drastic design change - which is obvious to the casual/general car "enthusiast" crowd, which I think does influence buying decisions of the general public. I'd wager you a very frosty beverage of your choice that if this (below) was the front-end design, there would still be resistance to items like ZF8, weight gain, insulation, yadayadayada, as there is every generation but there wouldn't the pure polarization that there is now. G8X would then fully be appreciated for the performance monster that it is and not overshadowed by its design. Also, I think it's important to mention, that this is not purely G8X related - BMW is intentionally trying to be polarizing and illicit reactions from people, a departure from how they used to market their vehicles (especially Ms)

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=5868
Yup, this is a tough one. BMW was clearly trying to make a statement about wanting to shake things up instead of the slow evolution you see from all the other German carmakers.

Did they happen to go overboard? Probably. It certainly doesn't look beautiful like the F80 does.

But, at the end of the day, it's an M car. M is about Motorsport, not Concours awards. How it looks shouldn't be more important than how it drives, and the essentially unanimous verdict is that it's a performance monster that drives extremely well.

I have a really hard time taking folks who call themselves car enthusiasts seriously if they're willing to fully write off a car based on how it looks.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      04-23-2021, 04:26 PM   #5929
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
When I think it can't get worse, I look at the front of the GTS car. I saw a pic with the grille bars painted red. To me, if I saw that coming at me from behind, it looks like a set of red lips coming at me.

Appreciate 2
CT_M31478.00
FormulaMMM3662.50
      04-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #5930
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is this a joke?

We are talking DESIGN!
The lady in video was on design team and referring from that standpoint....

I can link you all the threads from 2014 when F8x debuted- 90% of comments were positive and no members were being banned. The whole G8x forum is a joke as most ppl can’t participate there and even with that - the comments there are lukewarm at best on new car.
If we are talking about looks, then sure. The F80 is a more classically beautiful car.

But you're nuts if you think that everyone was fawning over the performance of that car. It has several serious performance liabilities, many of which were never addressed throughout its entire lifespan.

In fact, many of the car magazines at the time spoke about how the car was awful to drive, too torquey down low, bad steering feel, etc etc.

I don't have issue with the bans either. Contributing to a dialogue is one thing, but if you're sole addition to conversation is "ItS sO UgLy iTs LiKe a PiG" and "BMW LoSt a CuStOmEr fOr LiFe" then yeah I can see you getting warned and eventually banned.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 04:30 PM   #5931
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Quote:

Wow that's just atrocious.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 04:38 PM   #5932
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
If we are talking about looks, then sure. The F80 is a more classically beautiful car.

But you're nuts if you think that everyone was fawning over the performance of that car. It has several serious performance liabilities, many of which were never addressed throughout its entire lifespan.

In fact, many of the car magazines at the time spoke about how the car was awful to drive, too torquey down low, bad steering feel, etc etc.

I don't have issue with the bans either. Contributing to a dialogue is one thing, but if you're sole addition to conversation is "ItS sO UgLy iTs LiKe a PiG" and "BMW LoSt a CuStOmEr fOr LiFe" then yeah I can see you getting warned and eventually banned.
Most ppl that got banned are current M owners who have been on forums and supported the brand for years- these are not trolls that spam forums or created accounts yesterday.

F80 performance wise was HUGE step up over E9x. The car utilized CFRP components, introduced CCB brakes, lower weight, and was overall more track focused than E9x.

The only negative ppl had and it’s definitely deserved as it doesn’t sound good and especially compared to the great V8 of E9x cars.

The G8x is not a huge leap over F8x and actually takes many steps back especially with lack of DCT and more weight.
Appreciate 1
Mavus2031.00
      04-23-2021, 04:38 PM   #5933
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Boy...someone just poured gas on a campfire �� wile we were just having a good old time making marshmallows. I predict 300 pages by the end of today
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
Tecnniqe4197.00
      04-23-2021, 04:46 PM   #5934
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
Boy...someone just poured gas on a campfire �� wile we were just having a good old time making marshmallows. I predict 300 pages by the end of today
Appreciate 6
stein_325i25083.00
RugbyBro7601.50
six75LT916.50
65fastback1137.00
CT_M31478.00
GrussGott18183.50
      04-23-2021, 04:48 PM   #5935
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yup, this is a tough one. BMW was clearly trying to make a statement about wanting to shake things up instead of the slow evolution you see from all the other German carmakers.

Did they happen to go overboard? Probably. It certainly doesn't look beautiful like the F80 does.

But, at the end of the day, it's an M car. M is about Motorsport, not Concours awards. How it looks shouldn't be more important than how it drives, and the essentially unanimous verdict is that it's a performance monster that drives extremely well.

I have a really hard time taking folks who call themselves car enthusiasts seriously if they're willing to fully write off a car based on how it looks.
I agree that BMW had to shake up the design as I think the F chassis cars were the pinnacle of BMWs evolutionary design language - they were going to have to soften lines here or there and try something a little different to follow up F-Chassis. So I appreciate the challenge they faced, although I do think they just went the wrong direction with the design language across the range.

There's no denying the objective performance - it's a beast. Design though is an equally massive part of enthusiasm for many. Also feel, but I don't want to open that can of worms haha. While looks isn't the biggest part for me, I at least have to look back at my car every time I park it which I just can't do with current BMWs - at best they're blah and at worst they're a little gag-inducing to my eyes
Tecnniqe4197.00
65fastback1137.00
stein_325i25083.00
      04-23-2021, 04:50 PM   #5936
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I agree that BMW had to shake up the design as I think the F chassis cars were the pinnacle of BMWs the evolutionary design language - they were going to have to soften lines here or there and try something a little different to follow up F-Chassis. So I appreciate the challenge they faced, although I do think they just went the wrong direction with the design language across the range.

There's no denying the objective performance - it's a beast. Design though is an equally massive part of enthusiasm for many. Also feel, but I don't want to open that can of worms haha. While looks isn't the biggest part for me, I at least have to look back at my car every time I park it which I just can't do with current BMWs - at best they're blah and at worst they're a little gag-inducing to my eyes
If you don't look back at your car in awe there is no reason to own it
Appreciate 5
RugbyBro7601.50
65fastback1137.00
stein_325i25083.00
GERMAN M34182.00
GrussGott18183.50
      04-23-2021, 05:01 PM   #5937
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Quote:

I think they both look good.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 05:01 PM   #5938
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

engineering!! is the most important aspect of M cars. Their purpose is to push the limits and not to please an avg driver.

Engineering includes aero, size, weight, chassis, stiffnes, drivetrain, gauges, driver position, human-machine interface, reliability etc. The putpose of M was to provide a well engineered platform that can serve the dual purpose. This was the reason why enthusiasts paid premium.

For me personally G8x is too big. Period. I don't want a car the size of M6. I don't care even if there is a jet engine in its ass.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #5939
dialogical
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
engineering!! is the most important aspect of M cars. Their purpose is to push the limits and not to please an avg driver.

Engineering includes aero, size, weight, chassis, stiffnes, drivetrain, gauges, driver position, human-machine interface, reliability etc. The putpose of M was to provide a well engineered platform that can serve the dual purpose. This was the reason why enthusiasts paid premium.

For me personally G8x is too big. Period. I don't want a car the size of M6. I don't care even if there is a jet engine in its ass.
Yeah, no.

It's 4" shorter than an M6, and fully 400 lbs lighter.

In fact - it's right in the middle between the M6 and the F80, 4" shorter than the M6 and 4" longer than the F80.

If 4" is your margin of error, then the G80 has performed the spectacular trick of being the same size as an M6 and an F80 simultaneously.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #5940
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
I agree that BMW had to shake up the design as I think the F chassis cars were the pinnacle of BMWs evolutionary design language - they were going to have to soften lines here or there and try something a little different to follow up F-Chassis. So I appreciate the challenge they faced, although I do think they just went the wrong direction with the design language across the range.

A lot of people would buy cars based on looks. That is the honest truth to it whether you agree with it or not.

The problem is the G8x has a, you like the look or you don't, vibe to it. And sadly for BMW, a lot of folks seem to dislike it more than they like it. Engineering wise, the car isn't a major leap like the previous generations are. Adding AWD was the one thing we have all expected it to be during the F8x run because it was clear aside from doing a performance hybrid setup like Benz is doing, there wasn't much else you can do with a sedan type/RWD setup BMW is known for.
RugbyBro7601.50
Tecnniqe4197.00
stein_325i25083.00