R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-03-2019, 11:46 PM   #23
Keebin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Had the same issue, car stuttered off the launch then lost all power scared me so much i haven’t launched it since, stock m3 with active mid pipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #24
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Don't use launch control lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:53 AM   #25
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

You gotta commit to launch control and don’t let off the gas like a 👧
Appreciate 1
lukej387.00
      11-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #26
Alpine_F82
Just Building My M4 Track Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15’ M4 Alpine

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
You gotta commit to launch control and don’t let off the gas like a 👧
I do keep it down the whole time
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #27
nickl630
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3CS, 09 GTR

Bump. I just had the same issue on my CS this weekend.

Went to a show yesterday (at a drag strip) and decided to take the CS down the 1/4 for fun.

Weather was cold, 55 or so and cloudy. I have stock PSS's on the car.

I only made two passes, both right around 14 seconds (lol) trapping at 118mph.

Burnout was fine, DSC off, slam throttle. Nice smoke show. Everything felt great.

First launch I blew launch control. I activated it before I was properly staged and had to launch the old way. Held RPMs around 3000 and left on green... The car shuddered (felt almost like wheel hop) and then fell flat on its face... Throttle input did nothing. Backed completely off then went back in.. Car took off and went down the strip fine.

Second pass: same thing.. However launch control was used. Dropped it down to 2500ish RPM.. left perfectly..felt a shudder and fell flat like it was in limp mode. Backed completely off then back on and it went fine.

Found it strange it worked great doing burnouts and once it got going. Car drove great otherwise. Possibly the computer feeling too much slip and shutting the throttle off?

Settings were DSC off of course, sport plus on everything minus suspension which was in comfort.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:11 AM   #28
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

See this all the time at the track, once the tires start to slip, it turns into a turd, then picks up 3-4 seconds later. Very important to do a burnout and heat the tires up or this will happen 9/10 times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #29
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl630 View Post
Bump. I just had the same issue on my CS this weekend.

Went to a show yesterday (at a drag strip) and decided to take the CS down the 1/4 for fun.

Weather was cold, 55 or so and cloudy. I have stock PSS's on the car.

I only made two passes, both right around 14 seconds (lol) trapping at 118mph.

Burnout was fine, DSC off, slam throttle. Nice smoke show. Everything felt great.

First launch I blew launch control. I activated it before I was properly staged and had to launch the old way. Held RPMs around 3000 and left on green... The car shuddered (felt almost like wheel hop) and then fell flat on its face... Throttle input did nothing. Backed completely off then went back in.. Car took off and went down the strip fine.

Second pass: same thing.. However launch control was used. Dropped it down to 2500ish RPM.. left perfectly..felt a shudder and fell flat like it was in limp mode. Backed completely off then back on and it went fine.

Found it strange it worked great doing burnouts and once it got going. Car drove great otherwise. Possibly the computer feeling too much slip and shutting the throttle off?

Settings were DSC off of course, sport plus on everything minus suspension which was in comfort.
Once tires slip a little in launch control, it bogs down and pulls power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #30
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
For what it's worth I don't drag race, but with DCT off in sport mode I get better launches on than sport plus, where I tend to slip the rears more. It's manageable but I'm sure launch control will get me a few tenths faster. This is in autocross mind you, so while launches are very important, it's not the end all that be all since there is so much more to the course than just the launch and the timer starts a few feet after start, not at start. Food for thought.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0