GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-18-2018, 12:53 AM   #45
DWEI
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

OK sooo. I need help.

I just installed my MP Carbon splitters today using 3m tape. I also tried to follow the awesome tutorial by Khatti to install my MP Carbon lip. However the tutorial is for the plastic OEM lip and not the CF. The CF LIP has holes on the bottom where it seems like certain screws are suppose to go. However if I drill into those holes it's definitely going through the bottom of the splitters as well.

My question is. Are the CF splitters suppose to be Attached by screws from the bottom of the lip? I've tried searching all over but found nothing.I've read the tutorial a few times but it never specifically stated to do so.
      05-18-2018, 06:29 AM   #46
KHATTI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 E30 M3

Garage List
1991 BMW M3  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwei727 View Post
OK sooo. I need help.

I just installed my MP Carbon splitters today using 3m tape. I also tried to follow the awesome tutorial by Khatti to install my MP Carbon lip. However the tutorial is for the plastic OEM lip and not the CF. The CF LIP has holes on the bottom where it seems like certain screws are suppose to go. However if I drill into those holes it's definitely going through the bottom of the splitters as well.

My question is. Are the CF splitters suppose to be Attached by screws from the bottom of the lip? I've tried searching all over but found nothing.I've read the tutorial a few times but it never specifically stated to do so.
It seems to be the same as the matte lip. I personally have never installed a CF lip, however, I doubt they deviate from the matte lip install.

You need to drill into the splitters unfortunately. See this part of my guide. Try not to cringe. You won't see it once everything is on and if you decide to remove the lip the holes drilled into the splitters will not be noticeable unless you're under the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DWEI160.50
      05-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #47
DWEI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Dang it. I was afraid of that lol. Thank you Khatti!
      05-24-2018, 12:41 AM   #48
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Looks like this can be done without removing the wheels as long as the front end is up in the air?
I figure I can put both wheels on ramps and do it?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 05:54 AM   #49
KHATTI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1991 BMW M3  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Looks like this can be done without removing the wheels as long as the front end is up in the air?
I figure I can put both wheels on ramps and do it?
Shouldn't be a problem. There's a couple bolts you'll need to get to in the wheel wells.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:00 AM   #50
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHATTI View Post
Shouldn't be a problem. There's a couple bolts you'll need to get to in the wheel wells.
Thanks. Going to give it a try today with my wheels angled so I can get at those inner fender guard screws.

I went through a front camera install yesterday and put the car on ramps to remove the oil cooler guard and dropped the oil cooler. The side pieces of plastic had to come loose from the bottom so I figured I could do this without taking the wheels off.

I don’t have a dremel so I’m going to attempt trimming the guards with plastic cutters or a utility knife.

I’m guessing the 6mm and 3mm drill bits don’t come with the kit?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 08:15 AM   #51
DWEI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Thanks. Going to give it a try today with my wheels angled so I can get at those inner fender guard screws.

I went through a front camera install yesterday and put the car on ramps to remove the oil cooler guard and dropped the oil cooler. The side pieces of plastic had to come loose from the bottom so I figured I could do this without taking the wheels off.

I don’t have a dremel so I’m going to attempt trimming the guards with plastic cutters or a utility knife.

I’m guessing the 6mm and 3mm drill bits don’t come with the kit?
No bits do not come with and good luck with the cutters. Some of the plastic was super hard to get through.
      06-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #52
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

I haven’t cut my plastic pieces yet. Just bolted them right back up.

I’ve got some extra screws in bag 2. Looks like two different screw options?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #53
jaspirr
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

I'm surprised that BMW does not sell just a hardware kit for this product. There are a ton of used lips and splitters being bought and sold, and it's a nightmare to try to get your own screws and bolts for this. As someone posted earlier in this thread, you can kind-of-sort-of compile your own parts list for most of the pieces, but at OEM BMW prices and shipping that's $50 plus. I'm going to give it a try with just some comparable screws and bolts from Lowes.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 04:12 PM   #54
TanzyBlueM5
Registered
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Competition

I hit a shredded tire merging onto the freeway a few days ago and the two bolts holding this in the center popped out. I've tried popping them back in but the bolts are just loose now. Has anyone been in the same situation I'm in? Do I need to take the entire assembly off? How reusable are the rivets, nuts, and bolts?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:32 AM   #55
Coldsteel16
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18

Appreciate it Khatti for posting this DYI. I just did mine today and it went well thanks to you! It took me a lot longer than 2.5 hrs. I used plasti dip on the front lip, used 3 coats and it turned out really nice. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Last edited by Coldsteel16; 11-01-2018 at 12:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #56
KHATTI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1991 BMW M3  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsteel16 View Post
Appreciate it Khatti for posting this DYI. I just did mine today and it went well thanks to you! It took me a lot longer than 2.5 hrs. I used plasti dip on the front lip, used 3 coats and it turned out really nice. [IMG][/IMG]
Looks great!

I've been considering popping off the cover and spraying it with plasti as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #57
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by javagreenm4 View Post
I hit a shredded tire merging onto the freeway a few days ago and the two bolts holding this in the center popped out. I've tried popping them back in but the bolts are just loose now. Has anyone been in the same situation I'm in? Do I need to take the entire assembly off? How reusable are the rivets, nuts, and bolts?
I have the same issue. The two center bolts screw into threaded holes (sleeves?) in the metal reinforcement bracket that came with the lip (Parts C and H in the installation instructions). It's 90% likely these threaded inserts have stripped right out. The bracket cannot be purchased separately.

I've considered taking everything apart to see if I could epoxy/weld a couple of M5 nyloc nuts onto the top of the reinforcement bracket. (This will require buying replacement plastic rivets since they are not reusable.)

The only other option I can see is to buy an entire new lip when they're on sale (you can find them for <$400 on ebay)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #58
Mo Steve
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 ZCP SO F80

What's the black adhesive tape that everyone is using to mask the gap between the splitter and bumper. Item Q on the item list. Anyone have a link to something I can buy.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #59
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Steve View Post
What's the black adhesive tape that everyone is using to mask the gap between the splitter and bumper. Item Q on the item list. Anyone have a link to something I can buy.
Electrical tape....works for me and still good after 2 years
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #60
Mo Steve
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 ZCP SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir View Post
Electrical tape....works for me and still good after 2 years
Thank you sir!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #61
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Electrical tape is too heavy compared to the stuff bmw gives. Will throw off the 50/50 balance of car.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 04:08 PM   #62
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

OP - great DIY, but need to clarify one step I think you missed regarding bag #4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdefalco25 View Post
Bag 4 is towards the end of install. They're kind of a pain and not overly important. They go towards the edge of the lip near the wheels. In theory, they catch on something as you screw into them to give a tighter fit.
Yes, these are needed and are the only structural support for the outer lip. Without them, the only thing holding your lip in place are the blind plastic rivets. If you have this lip and are lowered, you will quickly find that the blind plastic rivets will wear and fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdefalco25 View Post
...Remove them from the bottom of you spoiler and place them between the bumper and chin spoiler...
Tabs are meant to go inside the bumper. Putting them between the bumber and support lip will create an unwanted gap and takes away from the structural support they are intended to provide. They are a PITA to install without removing the wheels and gaining full access to the inside of the bumper by removing the wheel well liner. You only need to remove the lower screws to gently bend the liner out of the way to reach in with your hand and hold them in place while you install the screws. If you are like me and plan to remove your lip for regular touch ups, you should secure the tabs with double-sided tape so they stay in place when you remove the lip.

For minor touch ups, I have found this to be a good match to matte finish - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For full respray, I use this - https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Au.../dp/B005H5P5C6
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 12:29 AM   #63
GearRex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, E46 ZHP, 991.2 Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
OP - great DIY, but need to clarify one step I think you missed regarding bag #4.

Yes, these are needed and are the only structural support for the outer lip. Without them, the only thing holding your lip in place are the blind plastic rivets. If you have this lip and are lowered, you will quickly find that the blind plastic rivets will wear and fail.

Tabs are meant to go inside the bumper. Putting them between the bumber and support lip will create an unwanted gap and takes away from the structural support they are intended to provide. They are a PITA to install without removing the wheels and gaining full access to the inside of the bumper by removing the wheel well liner. You only need to remove the lower screws to gently bend the liner out of the way to reach in with your hand and hold them in place while you install the screws. If you are like me and plan to remove your lip for regular touch ups, you should secure the tabs with double-sided tape so they stay in place when you remove the lip.

For minor touch ups, I have found this to be a good match to matte finish - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For full respray, I use this - https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Au.../dp/B005H5P5C6
Great explanation, and thank you for the links to the trim paint.
Appreciate 1
MadZarBMR712.00
      02-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #64
Tflong24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 30 Jahre

Anyone looking for the rivets I did find these. Comes in paks of 25.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
KHATTI376.00
      03-30-2020, 05:04 PM   #65
mpower3o2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 AP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bris_m3 View Post
Installed lip and splitters this weekend using these instructions. Massive help, thanks.
Just one question regarding the plastic plates labelled L in the BMW Instructions. I am not convinced I have installed these correctly since they look so out of character to the rest of the installation . Thoughts?

PS
Hadn't finished with the plastic rivets when I took this photo.
So I have everything down but this point...

The picture above shows those plastic tabs that apparently turn to the fender when they screw in.

Anyone have a picture of these plastic tabs in place/installed? I'm unsure on where to put them.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #66
Rus.K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower3o2 View Post
So I have everything down but this point...

The picture above shows those plastic tabs that apparently turn to the fender when they screw in.

Anyone have a picture of these plastic tabs in place/installed? I'm unsure on where to put them.
They go in between the cover (lip) and the inner support bracket. They are a PITA to get in there and I don't understand why this step is last since it makes it nearly impossible to get them on.
Appreciate 0