Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

01-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #133
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Thanks, see my line where I listed the part numbers between the US and Canada are the same, I verified it. Pulled it from a Canadian dealership.

If you're telling me the hardware are different between the two regions, tell me how if the part numbers are identical, how can the hardware be different?

Look, let's just forget it, I can't keep this up with you guys. For argument sakes, lets just throw logic out the window and assume you're right, I'm wrong. You know, even though they share a common part numbers as the US vehicles and there is no other way to differentiate the two.
LOL, you say "forget it" and then continue the argument in the next sentence .

I work in the manufacturing industry, so I understand configuration management and part numbers. I am not sure what "logic" BMW uses to manage this one, but the only logic I need is that it is CONFIRMED that hardware is physically different between some Canadian and US cars, the pictures are there to prove it. My car for instance has the same LED arrays and circuitry than EU cars and the coded VLD/GFHB work perfectly fine.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-05-2020 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #134
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Wow, "come here to start trouble" are you Fing serious? It's a private forum and I'm discussing the subject at hand, explain to me how I'm starting "trouble?" By that you mean "facts?"
It’s a public forum and your tone is what some may find objectionable. If you look at the tone of the thread prior to your arrival it was very cooperative.

Quote:
I already gave you the part numbers to verify them yourself and realize that they the same between NA & Canada, I didn't ask you to take my word. That's my proof, your own common sense.

You're obviously set in your ways and feel your lights are superior because you overpaid to import them but the fact is GFHB in BMWs are not that great to begin with; they still glare folks from Europe, US, Mars, ect, especially if it's not coded properly. But we'll leave it at that and move on, no point in going around in circle and getting no where fast.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/new...-34878016.html
Slow your roll, @Poochie . You lose credibility when you insult people who disagree with you. Insulting and leaving makes you look like a hothead. So far, everyone that has contributed to this thread has done so because we’re trying to figure out a way to make the GFHB lights work on our 2018s. Most of the things you’re writing about have been discussed already, so before you discount others’ replies, take a look at prior posts and get up to speed on the topic. The only information you’re offering is that a dealer looked up some part numbers for you, whereas several others have first-hand knowledge and have done a lot more research.

As for fernisatree, he lives in Germany and was able to pick up his lights locally. He probably knows more about this topic than most because he has actually been able to compare the lights. And the coding isn’t hard, thanks to the work of several of this thread’s contributors.

BMW sometimes makes changes to parts during their life cycle for various reasons, such as reliability, cost savings, fit, or switching suppliers. A part number produced by one supplier in a specific year may not be identical to the same part number produced by a different supplier in a different year. Sometimes the parts are annotated with -02, -03, etc to reflect revisions. This is part of the reason dealers ask for your VIN when ordering - they want to ensure what they’re selling you will actually work on your car.

Further evidence of this can be found when a company does a recall. They don’t recall every single example of something with a specific part number, only the ones that were subject to the flawed process. Consider also that the parts supplied when the car was built may not be identical to what BMW is now offering. If they standardized the manufacturing recently and there is no longer a difference, then maybe it’s a win for those of us who want GFHB.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      01-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #135
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 S4 Avant, F80 M3, F31 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
It’s a public forum and your tone is what some may find objectionable. If you look at the tone of the thread prior to your arrival it was very cooperative.

Slow your roll, @Poochie . You lose credibility when you insult people who disagree with you. Insulting and leaving makes you look like a hothead. So far, everyone that has contributed to this thread has done so because we’re trying to figure out a way to make the GFHB lights work on our 2018s. Most of the things you’re writing about have been discussed already, so before you discount others’ replies, take a look at prior posts and get up to speed on the topic. The only information you’re offering is that a dealer looked up some part numbers for you, whereas several others have first-hand knowledge and have done a lot more research.

As for fernisatree, he lives in Germany and was able to pick up his lights locally. He probably knows more about this topic than most because he has actually been able to compare the lights. And the coding isn’t hard, thanks to the work of several of this thread’s contributors.

BMW sometimes makes changes to parts during their life cycle for various reasons, such as reliability, cost savings, fit, or switching suppliers. A part number produced by one supplier in a specific year may not be identical to the same part number produced by a different supplier in a different year. Sometimes the parts are annotated with -02, -03, etc to reflect revisions. This is part of the reason dealers ask for your VIN when ordering - they want to ensure what they’re selling you will actually work on your car.

Further evidence of this can be found when a company does a recall. They don’t recall every single example of something with a specific part number, only the ones that were subject to the flawed process. Consider also that the parts supplied when the car was built may not be identical to what BMW is now offering. If they standardized the manufacturing recently and there is no longer a difference, then maybe it’s a win for those of us who want GFHB.

This, I live in Germany and got a deal on the headlights. I just want to help everyone do the right thing and make sure their headlights function properly. Like previously mentioned part numbers can be the same and have different variants. Same thing happens in aircraft parts the part number will be the same but have a design change or be a different variant.

We are not arguing that the part numbers are different cause they are obviously the same. We are stating that there is a physical hardware difference between the headlights. There is physical evidence between several people that show the difference in photos. I do not understand your hostility towards everyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 04:32 AM   #136
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

From reading this thread, headlight part numbers ending in 05/06 are EU, 07/08 are UK, and 09/10 are US/Canada.

So what are 11/12 from?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 01:23 PM   #137
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

This is my outer DS bank. Just looking for confirmation since everyone was sharing hardware pics. Just got these used/mint from a local enthusiast (got super lucky!)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #138
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
This is my outer DS bank. Just looking for confirmation since everyone was sharing hardware pics. Just got these used/mint from a local enthusiast (got super lucky!)
Not sure what you are wanting to show here. What year is your car? Are these pictures from the headlights on your car? What headlight type are these (pre-LCI or Icon)?

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #139
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Not sure what you are wanting to show here. What year is your car? Are these pictures from the headlights on your car? What headlight type are these (pre-LCI or Icon)?
I purchased some 2018 (build date 11/08/18 - which I'm reading as August 11, 2018) Icon headlights locally and had them retrofitted. Waiting to get them coded with NGHB and I've been following along here and hope that I have all the necessary hardware to make them work since NGHB on the pre-LCI lights was something I really loved. Was just looking for confirmation that what I'm seeing is what others said is the required hardware (resistors/LEDs).

Headlights came out of a US spec car.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      04-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #140
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I purchased some 2018 (build date 11/08/18 - which I'm reading as August 11, 2018) Icon headlights locally and had them retrofitted. Waiting to get them coded with NGHB and I've been following along here and hope that I have all the necessary hardware to make them work since NGHB on the pre-LCI lights was something I really loved. Was just looking for confirmation that what I'm seeing is what others said is the required hardware (resistors/LEDs).

Got it

Yes, a quick glance seem to show they seem to have the appropriate arrays and circuitry. You do seem to have gotten lucky .

Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3497.00
      04-13-2020, 02:07 PM   #141
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got it

Yes, a quick glance seem to show they seem to have the appropriate arrays and circuitry. You do seem to have gotten lucky .
Cool! Thanks for confirming. Will report back after they're coded with my impressions. Hopefully it will just echo the others who got it done.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 02:14 PM   #142
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:

Did you happen to look at the part numbers on the lights before install? That light does look correct to me, however I have the "other" "usa spec" drivers side headlight missing one of the LED arrays and NGHB seem to work fine in it...have been running with them for 1.5 years and not been flashed by anyone. Seem to work OK and drivers light which is missing one of the LEDs clearly slowly points away from oncoming traffic and turns off at the appropriate moment/angle when the oncoming car would be getting blinded. I will say I have them programmed to run like normal USA high beams up to 65 MPH then the NGHB kicks in, because I'm mostly wanting that passenger side light shooting further down the side of the road on highways. I never found the NGHB really useful on back or curvy roads less than 50-55 MPH as the lows seem perfectly adequate (in the '15 or the '18) and they do briefly blind oncoming traffic coming over crests or around turns....I guess same as the "stock" usa highs.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #143
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Did you happen to look at the part numbers on the lights before install? That light does look correct to me, however I have the "other" "usa spec" drivers side headlight missing one of the LED arrays and NGHB seem to work fine in it...have been running with them for 1.5 years and not been flashed by anyone. Seem to work OK and drivers light which is missing one of the LEDs clearly slowly points away from oncoming traffic and turns off at the appropriate moment/angle when the oncoming car would be getting blinded. I will say I have them programmed to run like normal USA high beams up to 65 MPH then the NGHB kicks in, because I'm mostly wanting that passenger side light shooting further down the side of the road on highways. I never found the NGHB really useful on back or curvy roads less than 50-55 MPH as the lows seem perfectly adequate (in the '15 or the '18) and they do briefly blind oncoming traffic coming over crests or around turns....I guess same as the "stock" usa highs.
Sure, here are the DS (L) and PS (R) PNs. Glad to hear even with partial hardware they are still functional. I'm just crossing my fingers to get full functionality as I was so used to the pre-LCI NGHB light tunneling. I do drive on back roads where I live so its helpful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1003.00
      04-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #144
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

Got it

Yea, he "gotten lucky" because that's how sequenced part numbers work
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #145
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Well the weird thing is you would think that the initial '18s with the ICON LEDs would be the standard "world spec" headlights with the same chips on both sides for all cars, and eventually BMW changed the spec on the drivers headlight for the US market and worked them in once available. I have a US Spec '18 that I bought in '17 so was built very early in the process yet has the "dumbed down" version of the drivers side light. And in this thread it is clear that not all the US cars have that "dumbed" down version of the drivers side light. but with coding mine seems to work just fine with what I consider normal tunneling and never been flashed by oncoming traffic in 1.5 years....but to prove that I'd need to test it back to back with someone who has the 3 chip drivers headlight. Looks like MFNATIK got lucky with those lights!

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 08:32 AM   #146
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Quote:
Well the weird thing is you would think that the initial '18s with the ICON LEDs would be the standard "world spec" headlights with the same chips on both sides for all cars, and eventually BMW changed the spec on the drivers headlight for the US market and worked them in once available. I have a US Spec '18 that I bought in '17 so was built very early in the process yet has the "dumbed down" version of the drivers side light. And in this thread it is clear that not all the US cars have that "dumbed" down version of the drivers side light. but with coding mine seems to work just fine with what I consider normal tunneling and never been flashed by oncoming traffic in 1.5 years....but to prove that I'd need to test it back to back with someone who has the 3 chip drivers headlight. Looks like MFNATIK got lucky with those lights!
Not directed at you personally but the point to my sarcastic rebuttal was that if the part numbers and revision code are common, in the US market, to that another market (Canada), how can anyone with half a brain claim that one has the proper LED array for GFHB and other doesn't.. :

Does the folks that claim such realized how asinine that belief is?

Let's say you have a vehicle in a market with GFHB active from the factory, with a hypothetical headlight part number of 1234-01 and your car is involve in an accident, in which the headlights needs to be replaced. How would you be able to decipher which is the proper part, with the supposed full LED array for GFHB, if, as some claims, the internal hardware varies, by a random chance, regardless of the common part number?

The fact is, Canada and United States are considered the North American market and share the same lighting rules. This is done to streamline trade and travel.

If hypothetical part number 1234-01 has the proper hardware for operation for GFHB, then part number 1234-01 would obviously have the same mechanical make up.

Jezz, how hard is that for some understand and accept?

The only thing that prevent the operation of GFHB in the US, is a software.

The hardware are the same, if the part numbers are identical. Hence the reason BMW adds the heading "Decoding for no-dazzle high beam" on the window sticker, to indicate that the feature is capable but there is a software block, at the point of construction and programming, due to that specific regional restriction.

Had there been a hardware difference, it would not necessary to decode GFBH, since it would be physically impossible for the operation of GFHB and decoding it would be a practice in redundancy.

Here is a video below of GFHB, coded in and fully operationally, from a member living in NYC.

As you can see, the feature is fully capable of being activated on a US-spec vehicle, without any limitations:

View post on imgur.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #147
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

I was able to get the NGHB coded by Alex at Alpine to my Icon lights and after a short 20 min drive on the back roads last night, when comparing to the pre-LCI adaptive LEDs, I am not sure if the new Icons are on par...yet.

I drove the same roads I've always driven but recently there has been a lot improvements in the area and new LED city lights installed so its not quite as dark as before so I can't definitively tell if the lights behave in the same way and disperse the beam pattern like the pre-LCI lights did. Plus the lack of other cars on the road also didn't make it easy to find the right situations to compare haha. The jury is still out but I'll report back after some more time with it. But even with 80% similar functionality (which is what it seems to me right now b/c the driverside beam doesn't seem to be as aggressive in forming the light tunnel, though it does dip when cars are on coming) I would still take these Icons over the pre-LCI just on pure asethetics lol. They just look more modern and better suited for cars that have gloss black trim.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #148
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

So I did another drive on the same roads again last night and noticed the main difference between the LCI NGHB vs. pre-LCI NGHB lights is that the driverside light wall doesn't seem as high. Instead the light is more dispersed lower on the road vs. higher up on the trees. I may have gotten used to the whole road including the trees lit up now the trees don't seem as bright (but do they really need to be?) and the ground is possibly as bright or brighter during the tunneling. It reminds of the G20 NGHB example above.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #149
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The fact is, Canada and United States are considered the North American market and share the same lighting rules. This is done to streamline trade and travel.
BTW, what you state as fact actually isn't. Transport Canada has legalized variable headlight distribution since March 2018.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=47

Quote:
The hardware are the same, if the part numbers are identical.
Pictures proves that the hardware is not the same. Insulting people does not make you right. You are stuck in an odd denial loop and it is difficult to comprehend what you are trying to prove or demonstrate.

And I am not sure how a video of the G20 proves anything regarding F80 hardware .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 04-17-2020 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 04:05 PM   #150
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
BTW, this is not a fact. Transport Canada has legalized variable headlight distribution since March 2018.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=47

And I am not sure how a video of the G20 proves anything regarding F80 hardware . Insulting people does not make you right. You are stuck in an odd denial loop and it is difficult to comprehend what you are trying to prove or demonstrate.

I don't need to insult anyone. Why flog a dead horse. You're obviously set your ignorant ways and that's that.

The point of the G20 video is to show that a American-spec vehicle is capable of properly coding in this feature, contrary what you believe that Canada's hardware is different or superior.

Canada and US vehicles factually shares the same headlight part numbers for both the F82 and G20. Deduce for yourself, Google is still free.

Anyone that actually has half a brain and cares about verifying this, you don't have take my word, check for yourself and don't buy into this nonsense but if you want to stick your head in the sand and believe this ego-driven fairly tale, well, that's also your right.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #151
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't need to insult anyone. Why flog a dead horse. You're obviously set your ignorant ways and that's that.

The point of the G20 video is to show that a American-spec vehicle is capable of properly coding in this feature, contrary what you believe that Canada's hardware is different or superior.

Canada and US vehicles factually shares the same headlight part numbers for both the F82 and G20. Deduce for yourself, Google is still free.

Anyone that actually has half a brain and cares about verifying this, you don't have take my word, check for yourself and don't buy into this nonsense but if you want to stick your head in the sand and believe this ego-driven fairly tale, well, that's also your right.
You see, you keep insulting while bringing erroneous info without even trying to comprehend what some are trying to say here.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #152
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You see, you keep insulting while bringing erroneous info without even trying to comprehend what some are trying to say here.

If you feel I'm being insulting, you must be soft as butt checks.. I was gently stroking you, like a Catholic priest. You haven't seen "insulting" yet..

I ran out of ways of saying this but I'm not giving any misinformation, just a nudge to double check what is claim here before jumping to conclusions. That's it!

Anyone that cares is capable of independent thinking, so I don't need to convince anyone of facts, that's on them.

If that somehow hurts your sensibilities then whatever man. ✌🏻
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #153
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

From the other thread: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...086530&page=63

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooiweer View Post
You also have to reset FEM_BODY coding. See attached for cheat codes to reset GFHB settings for FEM_BODY and KAFAS2 to default US settings. Rather than VO coding FEM_BODY and losing your other settings, simply apply the cheat code and FDL Code the ECU.

As always, save the attached file in your Tokenmaster FDLCodes folder without the .PDF extension (extension should be .XML).

You've already successfully used the FDL Editor to review cheat code settings changes, so simply follow the same steps as before to read/edit your CAFD:
1. Open FDL editor for FEM_BODY CAFD
2. Select the cheat code and click Review to make sure the changes look OK
3. Click Apply to change to the new settings
4. Click the Save button at the top left of the editor (Floppy disk icon)
5. Click the Return button at the top left (Green Left Arrow)
6. Click "Code FDL" in the Coding section (NOT "Code", which is VO coding)

I've included a reset for KAFAS2 as well, but since you've already VO Coded that ECU there should be no need to apply that one, unless 5AP and 8S4 were removed from your FA (SALAPA element). You may want to check that by reviewing cheat code values in the FDL Editor for your KAFAS2 CAFD. "GLAREFREE_HIGHBEAM_ENABLED" value should be 00 (or glarfreeHB_on_I001_off).
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow78 View Post
I hope anyone else who needs to revert back to their original settings has the good fortune to find your post. This was supremely helpful! I guessed correctly on only two of the four values in FEM_BODY : so thanks for clearing that up! The KAFAS2 was easy, just right click the only option once drilling all the way into GLAREFREE_HIGHBEAM_ENABLED and choose the other option.

Again, many thanks!

Don't be surprised if I come back to this thread some time in the future having swapped headlights for the euro version.

To get this thread back on track, I’m picking up a set of euro-spec headlights from the local dealership. I didn’t have any luck finding a used set including modules without great risk of being scammed, so I opted for new. I ordered them using a VIN for a german-market car that I found for sale to eliminate part number guesswork.

I will be transferring my modules over, which have already been coded to GFHB before, but I will need to code them again since I reloaded the US software after confirming the hardware deficiency. I will take photos of the lights so we can identify differences, and if there are other things you want to see, let me know.

The lights are only a few hours away at the warehouse, so I should be doing them this weekend. Stay tuned.

Last edited by FlyingLow78; 05-20-2020 at 03:28 AM..
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321115.00
Ferg153.00
      05-20-2020, 03:14 PM   #154
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 S4 Avant, F80 M3, F31 328d

There is a label on top of the headlights for wattage on each light module, i would make sure they match before just swapping all the modules over. I know the F30 euro headlights turn signal module is different but everything else the same. I have no knowledge of the F80 headlights since i sold my old ones. Or you can just check realoem to see if the parts swap over. Good luck, and when you get them working be prepared to keep wanting to drive at night to admire your investment.
Appreciate 1