Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-08-2020, 01:19 AM   #1
AleksDeRussian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4

I have a 2015 M4 with 61,000 Miles.
I decided to check the coolant level today and noticed that bit reservoirs were so low you could barely see coolant either of them. The car has been sitting for a day. I haven't gotten any warnings in Idrive and a obd2 code scanner hasn't picked anything up either.

Anyone have any ideas what could be happening or should I try to check it when the engine warm?

Also to top it off what coolant should I use?

Thanks.

First picture is IC reservoir and the second is the main reservoir.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 02:19 AM   #2
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 F87

Could you post a pic of both reservoirs? I ask because it would be quicker to diagnose if the coolant is really low by checking the plastic yellow measuring thinggy. BMW cooling systems are always a weak point no matter the year/engine. Check your main expansion tank for signs of coolant leaking around the edges. The top mount reservoir as well which is a known issue more so than the main expansion tank.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 02:30 AM   #3
AleksDeRussian
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamongkad View Post
Could you post a pic of both reservoirs? I ask because it would be quicker to diagnose if the coolant is really low by checking the plastic yellow measuring thinggy. BMW cooling systems are always a weak point no matter the year/engine. Check your main expansion tank for signs of coolant leaking around the edges. The top mount reservoir as well which is a known issue more so than the main expansion tank.
I took the best pictures I could. Both are way below the min, at first I thought there want no coolant in them at all. There are no leaks around the tanks. I've never noticed leaks under the car either. I've heard of intercooler leaks but not both being low at the same time with no warning from the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 02:37 AM   #4
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hmmm that does look low. Empty even, but you did say that iDrive is not throwing any low coolant errors so that's good. I would top it off and observe it for a couple of days. I've read leaks can happen from the expansion tanks to small punctures in the radiator. Best to get your cooling system pressure tested at the dealer or your favorite indy just to cover your bases.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 02:39 AM   #5
AleksDeRussian
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm that does look low. Empty even, but you did say that iDrive is not throwing any low coolant errors so that's good. I would top it off and observe it for a couple of days. I've read leaks can happen from the expansion tanks to small punctures in the radiator. Best to get your cooling system pressure tested at the dealer or your favorite indy just to cover your bases.
I definitely plan on getting some coolant from the dealer tomorrow to top off and see what my local shop can do.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 02:41 AM   #6
Jamongkad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If budget allows might as well look into upgrading your top mount intercooler with an aftermarket one. Look into CSF or Mishimoto!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 02:43 AM   #7
AleksDeRussian
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If budget allows might as well look into upgrading your top mount intercooler with an aftermarket one. Look into CSF or Mishimoto!
Mishimoto would be my choice but the current budget is looking at VRSF. Hoping its not the intercooler so I can get a Mishimoto in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 08:13 PM   #8
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

One thing to consider is the coolant systems are totally separate. Also, I highly suggest looking into whether your engine is ingesting coolant. I wrote a diy on installing the j-pipe.. it basically outlines the process to look into the intake. If you have residue in there, i suggest not driving the car until you replace the charge cooler.
      12-28-2020, 03:11 PM   #9
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Is your engine coolant reservoir leaking at the seam or bad cap? These have failed before and will cause you to loose coolant, check around the edges for residue or pressurize engine cooling system and see if a hose or O-ring is leaking somewhere in the system or you can do that while engine is hot/off after a run.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #10
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Update?
      01-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #11
AleksDeRussian
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry, got really busy with the holidays.

I topped off the engine reservoir and it never went down again. The intercooler reservoir took a lot more effort to fill. I would fill it and run the car for 10mins and it would be low again but after 2-3 tries it stopped disappearing and bubbling and it's been holding steady ever since. I used Bmw coolant mixed 50/50.

Honestly don't know what was going on since it's a closed system, no sensors went off and car temps were normal even during sprinted driving. I'm keeping an eye out on the coolant levels and they are holding steady. My oil report came back and they suspect coolant in oil but said it's so small that it might be an additive and need to see the next few samples to confirm.

Probably will change the intercooler as a precaution or at least take it off and check it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 11:48 AM   #12
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksDeRussian View Post

I topped off the engine reservoir and it never went down again. The intercooler reservoir took a lot more effort to fill. I would fill it and run the car for 10mins and it would be low again but after 2-3 tries it stopped disappearing and bubbling and it's been holding steady ever since. I used Bmw coolant mixed 50/50.

Honestly don't know what was going on since it's a closed system, no sensors went off and car temps were normal even during sprinted driving. I'm keeping an eye out on the coolant levels and they are holding steady. My oil report came back and they suspect coolant in oil but said it's so small that it might be an additive and need to see the next few samples to confirm.

Probably will change the intercooler as a precaution or at least take it off and check it out.
Your Inter cooler is leaking common problem on s55 engines.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...?#38;t=1570544
      01-05-2021, 01:22 AM   #13
AleksDeRussian
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonly21 View Post
Quote:

I know it's a common problem but both expansion tanks have been holding for weeks now. Would the main expansion tank be low due to leaking intercooler too?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 01:05 PM   #14
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
I know it's a common problem but both expansion tanks have been holding for weeks now. Would the main expansion tank be low due to leaking intercooler too?
No, they're separate loops.

There's a procedure you do after filling the intercooler loop to "burp" the system so you don't have to keep adding fluid like you did.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1525074

I used it when my cooler failed, keep an eye on that level. My car was also pulling some power at WOT when it happened.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 01:59 PM   #15
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonly21 View Post
Quote:

Good it's been holding, but how is your driving habits, you have to push the car a little, couple of full wot at least for an hour.