proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-25-2021, 12:42 PM   #1
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

My experience with the AA single mid-pipe.

I got it as a Christmas gift from my wife. She actually forget she ordered it and it showed up on back order last week. I was pretty psyched. BTW – I have a 2018 F80 ZCP.

After watching a bunch of video's I decided to try and do the install myself. I’m not that good with wrenches, but I was looking to renew my man card. Spoiler, I didn’t.

Well, I got it on jack stands in my garage and I just didn't feel safe. I found a local detailer who rented me his lift for $10 an hour. So I loaded up all my tools and instructions and headed over there yesterday. Within 15 minutes I knew I was in trouble and thinking I wasn’t going to be able to get it done. The exhaust flange bolts were fully seized and rusted. Car was from upstate NY. I also stripped one of the torx bolts on the brace. Well the detailer was super nice and called a local BMW mechanic who uses the lift. The guy came by on a Sunday and within a few hours had the mid-pipe installed. With that said, we did have some problems. He had to use a torch to get the exhaust flange bolts off and the donut gaskets were shot. We installed it temporarily without the gaskets and used some temporary bolts to secure it. I have the new parts on order and will go back this week to finish it up.

I will say the sound is much better. Especially in Sport and Sport+ and it’s nice that it’s quite in regular mode. Cold start is louder, but not by much. There is a small exhaust leak due to the missing donut gaskets (parts on order).

By my seat of the pants HP/TQ gauge the car definitely feels quicker. Spools up faster and pulls a bit harder. Definitely worth the expense. I got the pipe for $760, lift rental $50, mechanic $200 and extra parts $120. Oh well for the DIY.

This would be an easy DIY for most people, but beyond my comfort level and I didn’t have the best tools for the job. Although I’m a bit disappointed I couldn’t DIY this project, it’s a reminder to myself to stay in my lane. Up next is the MP HAS suspension, but I definitely don’t think I’ll be able to do that myself.

If your car has spent time in places with hard winters, I would suggest getting replacement gaskets and bolts before starting this project.

Last edited by Adcampo; 01-25-2021 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2021, 12:49 PM   #2
llvsixaxisvll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 6MT

This was the case for mine as well In NJ. the pipes coming out of the turbo's connecting to midpipe was seized up and had to Dremel all 4 off and heat up/ hammer out the bolts. Glad you got it going
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #3
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by llvsixaxisvll View Post
This was the case for mine as well In NJ. the pipes coming out of the turbo's connecting to midpipe was seized up and had to Dremel all 4 off and heat up/ hammer out the bolts. Glad you got it going
Yeah, mine came from NY State.

Did you end up replacing the flange studs and that thin plate? I'm not.
      01-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #4
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

See if you can get a new exhaust gasket installed where it's missing. Without the gasket, the car can develop (if it doesn't have it right away) a nasty audible and physical vibration at the DP connection while the pipes warm up. Once warm, the metal will expand and it'll be gone. Happened to me as one of the gaskets wasn't seated right - just put on new gaskets, and boom rattle no more. Tommy L has a video on it titled exhaust rattle or something like that
Adcampo882.00
      01-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #5
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo View Post
I got it as a Christmas gift from my wife. She actually forget she ordered it and it showed up on back order last week. I was pretty psyched. BTW – I have a 2018 F80 ZCP.

After watching a bunch of video's I decided to try and do the install myself. I’m not that good with wrenches, but I was looking to renew my man card. Spoiler, I didn’t.

Well, I got it on jack stands in my garage and I just didn't feel safe. I found a local detailer who rented me his lift for $10 an hour. So I loaded up all my tools and instructions and headed over there yesterday. Within 15 minutes I knew I was in trouble and thinking I wasn’t going to be able to get it done. The exhaust flange bolts were fully seized and rusted. Car was from upstate NY. I also stripped one of the torx bolts on the brace. Well the detailer was super nice and called a local BMW mechanic who uses the lift. The guy came by on a Sunday and within a few hours had the mid-pipe installed. With that said, we did have some problems. He had to use a torch to get the exhaust flange bolts off and the donut gaskets were shot. We installed it temporarily without the gaskets and used some temporary bolts to secure it. I have the new parts on order and will go back this week to finish it up.

I will say the sound is much better. Especially in Sport and Sport+ and it’s nice that it’s quite in regular mode. Cold start is louder, but not by much. There is a small exhaust leak due to the missing donut gaskets.

By my seat of the pants HP/TQ gauge the car definitely feels quicker. Spools up faster and pulls a bit harder. Definitely worth the expense. I got the pipe for $760, lift rental $50, mechanic $200 and extra parts $120. Oh well for the DIY.

This would be an easy DIY for most people, but beyond my comfort level and I didn’t have the best tools for the job. Although I’m a bit disappointed I couldn’t DIY this project, it’s a reminder to myself to stay in my lane. Up next is the MP HAS suspension, but I definitely don’t think I’ll be able to do that myself.

If you’re car has spent time in places with hard winters, I would suggest getting replacement gaskets and bolts before starting this project.
Cool story 😂, thanks for sharing. Glad everything worked out .
      01-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #6
llvsixaxisvll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by llvsixaxisvll View Post
Yeah, mine came from NY State.

Did you end up replacing the flange studs and that thin plate? I'm not.
Yes, my VSRF midpipe came with new stud replacements as well as the washers ! Well it was an option I selected
Appreciate 1
Adcampo882.00
      01-25-2021, 01:38 PM   #7
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

What kinda wife orders an aftermarket exhaust mid-pipe and where/how do I obtain such unobtainium?
      01-25-2021, 01:43 PM   #8
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

After watching a bunch of video's I decided to try and do the install myself. I'm not that good with wrenches, but I was looking to renew my man card. Spoiler, I didn't.

Well, I got it on jack stands in my garage and I just didn't feel safe. I found a local detailer who rented me his lift for $10 an hour. So I loaded up all my tools and instructions and headed over there yesterday. Within 15 minutes I knew I was in trouble and thinking I wasn't going to be able to get it done. The exhaust flange bolts were fully seized and rusted. Car was from upstate NY. I also stripped one of the torx bolts on the brace. Well the detailer was super nice and called a local BMW mechanic who uses the lift. The guy came by on a Sunday and within a few hours had the mid-pipe installed. With that said, we did have some problems. He had to use a torch to get the exhaust flange bolts off and the donut gaskets were shot. We installed it temporarily without the gaskets and used some temporary bolts to secure it. I have the new parts on order and will go back this week to finish it up.

I will say the sound is much better. Especially in Sport and Sport+ and it's nice that it's quite in regular mode. Cold start is louder, but not by much. There is a small exhaust leak due to the missing donut gaskets (parts on order).

This would be an easy DIY for most people, but beyond my comfort level and I didn't have the best tools for the job. Although I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't DIY this project, it's a reminder to myself to stay in my lane. Up next is the MP HAS suspension, but I definitely don't think I'll be able to do that myself.

If your car has spent time in places with hard winters, I would suggest getting replacement gaskets and bolts before starting this project.
Thanks for the detailed review.

Did you notice the hp/tq increase in all rpm ranges? Or just mid to high rpm range?

With my past experience with exhausts I felt the rpm range shifted higher such that I felt less low end torque but more torque in higher rpm band.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #9
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congrats..... one of the best add ons to my ride. Love the sound
Appreciate 1
Adcampo882.00
      01-25-2021, 01:55 PM   #10
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
What kinda wife orders an aftermarket exhaust mid-pipe and where/how do I obtain such unobtainium?
Lol. To be fair, I did send her the link in early December. I just assumed she didn't get it for me.
      01-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #11
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Lol. To be fair, I did send her the link in early December. I just assumed she didn't get it for me.
Wife her twice! That's very nice of her.
      01-25-2021, 02:07 PM   #12
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyBoy View Post
Quote:

After watching a bunch of video's I decided to try and do the install myself. I'm not that good with wrenches, but I was looking to renew my man card. Spoiler, I didn't.

Well, I got it on jack stands in my garage and I just didn't feel safe. I found a local detailer who rented me his lift for $10 an hour. So I loaded up all my tools and instructions and headed over there yesterday. Within 15 minutes I knew I was in trouble and thinking I wasn't going to be able to get it done. The exhaust flange bolts were fully seized and rusted. Car was from upstate NY. I also stripped one of the torx bolts on the brace. Well the detailer was super nice and called a local BMW mechanic who uses the lift. The guy came by on a Sunday and within a few hours had the mid-pipe installed. With that said, we did have some problems. He had to use a torch to get the exhaust flange bolts off and the donut gaskets were shot. We installed it temporarily without the gaskets and used some temporary bolts to secure it. I have the new parts on order and will go back this week to finish it up.

I will say the sound is much better. Especially in Sport and Sport+ and it's nice that it's quite in regular mode. Cold start is louder, but not by much. There is a small exhaust leak due to the missing donut gaskets (parts on order).

This would be an easy DIY for most people, but beyond my comfort level and I didn't have the best tools for the job. Although I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't DIY this project, it's a reminder to myself to stay in my lane. Up next is the MP HAS suspension, but I definitely don't think I'll be able to do that myself.

Thanks for the detailed review.

Did you notice the hp/tq increase in all rpm ranges? Or just mid to high rpm range?

With my past experience with exhausts I felt the rpm range shifted higher such that I felt less low end torque but more torque in higher rpm band.
Hard to say at this point. I haven't driven the car much.

However, I'd say it spools up a bit quickly and throttle response seems slightly faster and power comes on sooner and then really kicks in as the revs rise.

I plan on looking at some of the dyno charts that are out there and see what that tells me.
      01-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #13
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

Did the install require you to saw/cut off the original downpipe from the muffler?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #14
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Goose View Post
Did the install require you to saw/cut off the orginal downpipe from the muffler?
The original Downpipe doesn't connect to the muffler, it connects to the OEM midpipe.

The OEM downpipe has no cutting done to it
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #15
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
The original Downpipe doesn't connect to the muffler, it connects to the OEM midpipe.

The OEM downpipe has no cutting done to it
Apologies, midpipe vice downpipe, does the oem muffler need to be cut/saw’d off to fit the new midpipe
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #16
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Apologies, midpipe vice downpipe, does the oem muffler need to be cut/saw’d off to fit the new midpipe
See instructions below - exact same for the eq length as well:

http://images.activeautowerke.com/In...1%204%2015.pdf
      01-25-2021, 04:58 PM   #17
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Apologies, midpipe vice downpipe, does the oem muffler need to be cut/saw'd off to fit the new midpipe

Yes, you have to cut the OEM mid pipe near the muffler. No biggie coming from the guy who couldn't do the job himself. Lol.