GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

04-01-2021, 04:24 PM   #133
Mpressive3
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS / E30 M3 / E28 M5

As of 3/23, BMW NA denied coverage outside of warranty.
6,500 miles and stock.
Factory warranty ended 10/20.
Observed a crack knuckle on 2/27/21.

3/1 - The first day that I contacted BMW NA to start the claim. Fast forward through several correspondences to 3/23; I called BMW NA where they proceeded to tell me that BMW would not cover the claim. No additional information was provided as far as how or why they came to the determination.

Fast forward through several more correspondences and requests to pick up the car; I called BMW NA again today (4/1) and I finally spoke with a different client advisor and supervisor. The only feedback that they could provide me with was "The vehicle is outside of warranty." They proceeded to tell me that they are not technical and could not provide me with any more information.

I submitted a claim with NHTSA (Not sure it'll do anything).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 11:08 PM   #134
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

That really sucks, really seems like BMW screwed up in multiple places with this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #135
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Between the knuckles and water injection, it would be handy to keep this car under an aftermarket/factory extended warranty.

Other than those 2 very expensive items, they seem to be pretty rock solid.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 12:48 PM   #136
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 (E93) Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpressive3 View Post
As of 3/23, BMW NA denied coverage outside of warranty.
6,500 miles and stock.
Factory warranty ended 10/20.
Observed a crack knuckle on 2/27/21.

3/1 - The first day that I contacted BMW NA to start the claim. Fast forward through several correspondences to 3/23; I called BMW NA where they proceeded to tell me that BMW would not cover the claim. No additional information was provided as far as how or why they came to the determination.

Fast forward through several more correspondences and requests to pick up the car; I called BMW NA again today (4/1) and I finally spoke with a different client advisor and supervisor. The only feedback that they could provide me with was "The vehicle is outside of warranty." They proceeded to tell me that they are not technical and could not provide me with any more information.

I submitted a claim with NHTSA (Not sure it'll do anything).
Man that's too bad. I'm sorry that happened. Keep us posted, and definitely go through with the claim with the NHTSA, they will take action eventually sometimes. I've been the owner of several vehicles that were eventually fixed because NHTSA forced the manufacturer. With such low production numbers it's going to take a lot of noise from you but ultimately hopefully it will be resolved.

This is really spurring me on to get mine inspected.
I bought mine last year with about 5800 miles. I had new sport cup 2 put on at the BMW dealer down here after I took possession because it needed an oil change based on time, not mileage. I went through a bunch of hoops to get an extension on the BMW factory warranty which was almost denied several times but thankfully went through. It's not cheap but I feel better.

My water injection system valve lock was already replaced with the Re-designed one at the same dealer, under warranty. I'm still nervous because the things hardly uses any water but I also don't drive it in such a way that it should. Not much anyway. It's a real handful as you all know on the street
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 12:50 PM   #137
h_bakken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 (E93) Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
This is my recent experience.
PolishM3 prompted me to check them (thanks). Although I had just come out of warranty and had my last check in December. So I assumed it's ok. No way of knowing if that was particularly checked. Car went in storage for winter (only 30 miles since the check).
So I took my phone and extended my arm under the car and captured pictures and examine them. You can probably do a better job with a selfie stick. But I did manage and found the the left front lower one was broken. Took it dealership next day. They replaced both in good will. I did have to pay $1200. Was done in less than a week. Picture below for reference.
The take home messages are:
1. you can check this yourself and
2. better now when the car is close to end or just off warranty.
Thanks this is helpful, going to do this when I get home from work today.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #138
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 1M  [0.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_bakken View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
This is my recent experience.
PolishM3 prompted me to check them (thanks). Although I had just come out of warranty and had my last check in December. So I assumed it's ok. No way of knowing if that was particularly checked. Car went in storage for winter (only 30 miles since the check).
So I took my phone and extended my arm under the car and captured pictures and examine them. You can probably do a better job with a selfie stick. But I did manage and found the the left front lower one was broken. Took it dealership next day. They replaced both in good will. I did have to pay $1200. Was done in less than a week. Picture below for reference.
The take home messages are:
1. you can check this yourself and
2. better now when the car is close to end or just off warranty.
Thanks this is helpful, going to do this when I get home from work today.
Make sure you take pictures from the front side. It seems that the front lower one on the left side goes out first.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 04:25 AM   #139
ericxog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has actually addressed this issue outside of warranty, and what the experience was? I'm not sure what the move is for potential buyers looking to buy a GTS right now. Between the water injection issues and the knuckles, what is the best way to enter ownership? Aftermarket warranty? The water injection I understand as far as shortcomings are concerned, but would really love to hear from somebody who has dealt with this outside of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 10:24 PM   #140
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

Driver's left just cracked, 3400 miles. What I'd consider to be moderate track use(AP Racing brakes, GC camber plates, fresh set of the OEM Cup 2s), maybe 50-60% of mileage at the track. I check the knuckles religiously before each lapping day just to avoid a double failure.

Extended BMW warranty expired I think this past winter. Going to see what my local dealership has to say about a good faith warranty. Could see this really pissing me off. I'm okay with suspension rebuilds and drivetrain failures, but a knuckle failing like this is just stupid on a car marketed with heavy track use is just stupid. They still play the F82 GTS track ad in my service department on a massive TV.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 02:24 PM   #141
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
I don't believe the cast oem version is compatible with the GTS KW clubsport suspension.
Luckily everything has a solution in this life, manufacturing 2 aluminum bushings the problem would be solved.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 07:41 AM   #142
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
Luckily everything has a solution in this life, manufacturing 2 aluminum bushings the problem would be solved.

I need more information on this solution
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 03:54 PM   #143
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

Myself as well, I'd love to just throw some base knuckles on this car and keep running it vs rage selling it. Sounded like GTS == 62mm diameter tube w/ a keyway to determine bottom, stock is 55mm tube w/ a taper? If someone already has the capability to make this, I'd buy a pair.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 05:43 PM   #144
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I need more information on this solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
Myself as well, I'd love to just throw some base knuckles on this car and keep running it vs rage selling it. Sounded like GTS == 62mm diameter tube w/ a keyway to determine bottom, stock is 55mm tube w/ a taper? If someone already has the capability to make this, I'd buy a pair.
I want to mount gts knuckles on my m2c and you on the contrary, interesting , i can make the inserts to use m4 knuckles in the gts.

Appreciate 1
Gomeler500.00
      07-18-2022, 05:58 PM   #145
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
I want to mount gts knuckles on my m2c and you on the contrary, interesting , i can make the inserts to use m4 knuckles in the gts.

[/url]
I actually want to keep the GTS knuckles on the car. When they break I'll pay for new ones. They are a very different design vs the stock ones. In the E9X world people are paying a ton of money for the Strom Uprights, so this is the same thing but from the factory.

I was curious if you had figured out a way to make the GTS ones break less. I understand than the revised ones no longer break.

GTS1 has revised ones and GTS2 has the originals, we will see what happens.

saludos!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 06:53 PM   #146
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Quote:
Quote:

[/url]
I actually want to keep the GTS knuckles on the car. When they break I'll pay for new ones. They are a very different design vs the stock ones. In the E9X world people are paying a ton of money for the Strom Uprights, so this is the same thing but from the factory.

I was curious if you had figured out a way to make the GTS ones break less. I understand than the revised ones no longer break.

saludos!
I believe strom is also coming out with a knuckle for the F8X.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 11:13 PM   #147
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

saludos!
I've not dug through this thread, and other threads relating to the 2019 revised knuckle. Does the revised knuckle just have more material around the double clamps such that it doesn't snap? Don't think I want to pay $7k to replace both knuckles, but maybe BMW would cover 1 of them, or some other fraction of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 07:51 AM   #148
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
I've not dug through this thread, and other threads relating to the 2019 revised knuckle. Does the revised knuckle just have more material around the double clamps such that it doesn't snap? Don't think I want to pay $7k to replace both knuckles, but maybe BMW would cover 1 of them, or some other fraction of it.
I haven't compared both, but apparently the revised one doesn't break.

You should get BMW to cover at least half of the cost. I got the dealer to goodwill half of one of the OLEDs that failed and the car was long out of warranty.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 07-19-2022 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 11:08 AM   #149
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
I haven't compared both, but apparently the revised one doesn't break.

You should get BMW to cover at least half of the cost. I got the dealer to goodwill half of one of the OLEDs that failed and the car was long out of warranty.
Edit.

looking at pictures of a knuckle from 2019 I found the difference compared to the first version.

2019 version:

2016 version:

Last edited by Track/S; 07-20-2022 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11421.00
Gomeler500.00
clutchdj1851.50
      07-20-2022, 01:47 PM   #150
Track/S
Major
Rep

On Monday the owner of the 2019 knuckle will send me a more detailed photo, but the difference is perfectly visible, so we already have a solution without having to buy the new version.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 02:04 PM   #151
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
On Monday the owner of the 2019 knuckle will send me a more detailed photo, but the difference is perfectly visible, so we already have a solution without having to buy the new version.
excellent photos, thank you for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 03:36 PM   #152
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

What troubles me is that this is a known issue, BMW by proxy has acknowledged this issue by manufacturing an upgraded and hopefully improved version. I think for low mileage non tracked cars (yes there are some) it should be automatic that they honor the replacement. For tracked cars with modifications I also think they should step up to the plate, it's not like this car was created to go to church on Sundays, they brag how well it did at Nürburgring, so the intent to create a track warrior is there. Shame on BMW for talking all this crap about the M Driving Experience, and then turning their back on you when a substandard and apparently poorly designed part fails doing something this car was designed for. Modern cars do everything amazingly well, are crazy fast but what they lack is soul, and it seems BMW lacks heart in standing behind a product intended for the track. If this were a rare occurrence they may have a case. but these have failed on a high percentage of cars. There, I feel better!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 04:36 PM   #153
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351 View Post
What troubles me is that this is a known issue, BMW by proxy has acknowledged this issue by manufacturing an upgraded and hopefully improved version. I think for low mileage non tracked cars (yes there are some) it should be automatic that they honor the replacement. For tracked cars with modifications I also think they should step up to the plate, it's not like this car was created to go to church on Sundays, they brag how well it did at Nürburgring, so the intent to create a track warrior is there. Shame on BMW for talking all this crap about the M Driving Experience, and then turning their back on you when a substandard and apparently poorly designed part fails doing something this car was designed for. Modern cars do everything amazingly well, are crazy fast but what they lack is soul, and it seems BMW lacks heart in standing behind a product intended for the track. If this were a rare occurrence they may have a case. but these have failed on a high percentage of cars. There, I feel better!
Given that it is a superceded part, I think the replacement should be covered, free. End of story
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 05:14 PM   #154
JustAnothaM4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [0.00]
Quote:
Edit.

looking at pictures of a knuckle from 2019 I found the difference compared to the first version.

2019 version:

2016 version:

wait...what am I looking at here?
Appreciate 0