R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
chimaera
Rep
Drives: 2017 Black Sapphire M3

Brake Squeal

Hi everyone, I have a 2017 F80, with the regular (non ceramic) brakes. just a couple hundred miles after my break-in service, my brakes started squealing like crazy during med-slow speed stops. the lightest of braking didn't generate a squeal, nor did hard braking.

brought it back to service and the foreman went on a ride with me and agreed that it was excessive. They replaced the front pads and all was great for another 1000 miles or so...but now the squealing is back... bad as ever.

I have searched around (when this first came up) and saw that there has been SOME people here and there with squealing brakes, but in many cases it was the stuck pebble issue, or it's only in reverse, they have ceramics, or other very specific cases.

has anyone else had this experience with their brakes? Should i just keep taking it back to the dealer and complaining that it is squealing? would i be better off just putting aftermarket pads on and forgetting the stock pads? (the stock pads make the wheels so dirty anyway..so this is almost an attractive option just for that)..if so what aftermarket pads are people recommending most?

absolutely love this car, but the brake squeal is embarrassing....stock exhaust isn't loud enough to mask it :P

thanks everyone.
      11-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

How is the car driven? Is your disc surface shiny or dull?

A lot of noise issues are associated with how well the pads and rotors are bedded in.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

How is the car driven? Is your disc surface shiny or dull? Does the noise happen during cold, warm or hot brake temps?

A lot of noise issues are associated with how well the pads and rotors are bedded in.
Appreciate 0