Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-02-2021, 06:12 PM   #3235
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
Has there been any other car before where the lower end of the bumper sticks that far out? I mean isn't it usually a more or less uniform vertical line?
M8?
Never paid attention the m8s. Apparently no one else really dod either?
Appreciate 2
GERMAN M34181.00
F32Fleet3574.50
      03-02-2021, 06:40 PM   #3236
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

I reckon BMW will sort this out with the LCI.

The standard 3-series front end is perfect and it beggars belief as to why they went with that grille. Understand that they're thinking outside the box, but how damn big is the box..
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 07:07 PM   #3237
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
Never paid attention the m8s. Apparently no one else really dod either?
Yeah, 8-series sales have been pretty poor last I checked ...

As for the 2004ish 6-series and the Bangle designs ...

Yup, I think they're ugly BUT they're coherent: the lines all flow together, the strong shoulder is there, the Bangle butt even flows into it. The nose lines all work seamlessly together ... in short, I see what Bangle was going for and I can see why people would like it; kinda like Emma Stone: not for me, but I get it.

Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11490.00
F32Fleet3574.50
      03-02-2021, 07:54 PM   #3238
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post

Yup, I think they're ugly BUT they're coherent: the lines all flow together, the strong shoulder is there, the Bangle butt even flows into it. The nose lines all work seamlessly together ... in short, I see what Bangle was going for and I can see why people would like it; kinda like Emma Stone: not for me, but I get it.

If I remember seeing, yeah the current 8 series sales are horrid.

Granted, AMG's GT 4 doors are also not doing all that great and that is the closet competitor to the 8 series in general.

Even the 7 series aren't doing great from what I can see, at least in my area. I see far more S-class cars over 7 series.
      03-02-2021, 08:25 PM   #3239
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post

If I remember seeing, yeah the current 8 series sales are horrid.

Granted, AMG's GT 4 doors are also not doing all that great and that is the closet competitor to the 8 series in general.

Even the 7 series aren't doing great from what I can see, at least in my area. I see far more S-class cars over 7 series.
I think the problem is BMW (and Audi) always seemed to struggle on the higher end of the luxury market, specifically the $100k+ price bracket where Mercedes and Porsche always dominated.

When it comes to the brands and which models immediately come to mind, for BMW its always been the 3-series, which was the starter car and entry into the brand, for Mercedes its the S-Class, the flagship of the brand a car that says "I've made it in life." Of course, a reason behind this is because decades ago, Mercedes were more prestigious before the introduction of smaller and cheaper models and competed with higher level brands, but even today the S-Class outsells both the Audi A8 and BMW 7er combined, and the G-Wagon has been selling like hotcakes. The G has been doing so well that they have two model years sold out, and ADM's as high as $75k on an already expensive vehicle. Used G-Wagons can be sold for profits, that's how competitive the G-Wagon market is right now.
      03-02-2021, 09:12 PM   #3240
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-pressed View Post
I reckon BMW will sort this out with the LCI.

The standard 3-series front end is perfect and it beggars belief as to why they went with that grille. Understand that they're thinking outside the box, but how damn big is the box..
I would check a box for $5k option to add M340i front bumper to a G80.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:51 PM   #3241
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
I would check a box for $5k option to add M340i front bumper to a G80.
Ahh the M3/4 Heritage Package. BMW has noted that.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:56 PM   #3242
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
This doesn't make any sense.

If you have to say positive things to have access to X site for X car all you end up with is an endless circlejerk or "soapbox" of positivity and no criticism.

Personally I'm really sad that this will most likely be the end of the M3/4 ICE era, and it went out on a blunder (seemingly) as it is.

The one thing I hope it's got going for it, is performance, but so far, it seems like it's only minor incremental increases and not an "all out" before the electrics take over.
Between a circle jerk and +140 pages of complaints about every aspect of the car, many of which are still unknown, you have a good amount of wiggle room.

It is guaranteed to be the end of the ICE M3/4 era, which is sad. I'm concerned about this one's weight, but wait until the next one!

The S58 does seem like an all-out attempt. The Stage1 tunes with 600whp and constant power to redline are a different universe than the S55. We'll see where the CS/GTS/CSL versions go, but it seems like they'll go quite high.

What seems to be over is the gravy train of free stuff.
Gone are the days you could buy a 70k F8X with a eLSD, magnesium oil sump, CF driveshaft, CF roof, CF strut brace, DCT, cooling that was indestructible, etc.
Instead, welcome to the days of paying for anything you get!
Around half the people in this thread all say they're going to the same brand. A brand that is happy to sell a $130k car that doesn't have a limited slip, and that you can easily add 50% of MSRP with 'options'. So I suppose these same people will not object to BMW giving the bottom feeders garbage and reserving the good stuff for the high end, top margin. Right?

People talk out of both sides of their mouths. Five Guys doesn't cut it and Ruth Chris is the only option for a burger... yet those same people apparently still go to Five Guys and cry a double burger is now $12, they remember 'the good old days' when they whined all day about the $8 Five Guys burger and how it was not at all like the $40 Ruth Chris one.

If you are the product manager for Five Guys, or In&Out, and all day you're dealing with people who say your burgers suck and they're taking their business to Ruth Chris... wouldn't the logical conclusion be to take your product upmarket? People are practically crying you aren't giving them the options to buy CCB for their hard parking at Cars and Coffee, that they can't pay $800 to choose the color of their seat belts, that your product is not exclusive enough... so you take it upmarket! But then of course most of the whiners were already struggling to pay for the $8 fast food burger, so if you actually go to $12 it's like the end of the world. In their fantasy universe they can afford the $40 burger, in the real one they barely scrounge up $8.
Disagree, rather than the nuts and bolts it's the exterior design combined with the reaction by BMW which accounts for the overwhelming majority of the complaints about this car and the 4-series.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 2
      03-02-2021, 10:02 PM   #3243
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

SYT_Shadow Respectfully.

I think its too broad a brush to paint everyone who's commented in these 140 pages. Quite a few here have been fans of the brand for a long time, its not that we're hating on the car just because of how bad it looks etc., but because it is a clear signal that BMW continues to bastardize its M lineup for the sake of sales #s, and continues to veer away its M heritage. Let's face it, BMW M has been relying on its heritage to sell cars. They are no longer in F1, and have not been heavily involved in racing since then (2009).

Instead, this is what makes the headlines:
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...ms?language=en

I think the 140 pages also includes a lot of venting and frustration, not entirely just on the G8x but what the car signifies about the brand.

For some here, the M3 has always exemplified the best and more extreme performance BMW; the most high performance expression that the company sells. It's a halo car that draws in young teens, puts posters on walls. Hence, the crazy high bar that some people put out there.

I still remember the E46 M3 when it was launched. That was one car that I actually lusted after. Every time I saw one, I would catch a glimpse. For years, it shocked the world being able to put out >100hp/liter, supercar like performance. Can we say the same of the latest iteration? even the F8x?

1) "Simplify and add lightness" - Colin Chapman (Lotus Cars)
Weight is foundational to the overall performance of the car. I expected the next iteration to be equal (+/- 100lbs or less). The S58 is expected to be higher performing; so there's that. But the increased size of the car, weight of the car is just disappointing. BMW just appeared to go back to the ole playbook of throwing a heavier engine to make up the shortfalls of the platform due to the lard inducing addition of more creature comforts, cost cutting efforts.

2) The deafness of the heads @ Munich. It is shocking from the ads, the interviews (Dukec, Van Hooydonk et. al) that the company is 1) adamant that it knows best design wise. They even refer to the classic design cues as 'ashes'. 2) BMW refuses to even acknowledge the criticisms of its long time fans and followers. I read some of those articles and am just SMH. BMW also proceeds to 3) call its fans names such as 'boomers' in ads.

3) The use of influencers (this really annoys me) on the reveal. That was insulting; I consider myself of average intelligence, but to hear some guy tell me that the car was the greatest thing since sliced bread when I can clearly see it had issues, made me question what water they were drinking. It almost felt like a scene from the Emperor Who Had No Clothes and BMW was telling trying to brainwash me into accepting the car. Not sure how others felt about that, but I started unsubbing all the channels that revealed themselves as influencers.

I'm still a BMW fan; there are lots of reminders of the great cars the company has made. I love the track events that M motorsport puts on. But this new direction the company is taking is questionable and ultimately makes BMW another Lexus, or Audi clone. Yes, Porsche charges more. Why? Because they can. Why? Aside from their meticulous engineering, they have built the brand equity to allow them to do through repeated successes at showing the 911 as the halo car for the sports car enthusiast.

BTW: I think the burger analogy fair; to me, the price increase is to be expected due to inflation and margin pressure. That's not the issue. The issue is when the product falls short of the expectations.

I keep buying In and Out (or whatever) and don't really think about the prices at all. But if the burger starts skimping out by doling out thinner slices of patty and more bun to make me feel full, I start buying less or look for alternatives. And I can afford a 911, but being a fan of BMW, the M3 had always represented a good compromise as a DD and sports car. It also represented good value. Sadly, this appears to be fading. So maybe some of us here have to pay more and get that Ruth Chris' burger. So be it.
Appreciate 12
RugbyBro7601.50
MFNATIK3498.00
GrussGott18183.50
CanAutM321116.50
stein_325i25083.00
SYT_Shadow11490.00
F32Fleet3574.50
doug_9992542.50
Mavus2029.50
ra2289305.50
      03-02-2021, 10:04 PM   #3244
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
So... how many of you Porsche guys promise you will leave Bimmerpost?

I am looking forward to the day you all move to Rennlist and leave the M forums for BMW people. Very excite!! This is even better than 2016 when celebrities were promising to leave if someone was elected president.
What gives you the right to be insulting to others?

Last edited by bm323; 03-02-2021 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 2
pbar1400.00
stein_325i25083.00
      03-02-2021, 10:08 PM   #3245
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Never cared for the E63 6-series, and I think along with the pre-LCI E65 its aged the worst. The E60 aged better. The best looking 6er is still the original, and the gorgeous GC, sadly the new 8GC couldn't recapture its beauty.
I really hated the E60 5Series design and still feel it looks like a Kia. Those headlights with the eyebrows 🤮

The E63 is not a beautiful design but in M6 trim it did look menacing and the styling was truly unique. I saw an LCI 650i a few days ago and it looked pretty good actually. The interiors on those cars really didn’t age well.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:28 PM   #3246
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I’m posting here because i was Banned from G8x forums and I assume others are as well. Otherwise this 140+ thread would not exist. Also much of this thread has great info on the new cars and better dialogue than on G8x forum where the top threads are discussing colors.

Anyhow- I saw this beast of a car today at my local dealer. It was all black M3 with black interior and wheels. This one is a Manual! And had 15miles on it. The car is For Sale and there is NO line of ppl claiming it as some members are suggesting 😀.

I saw the IOMG M3 at UDE event last year, so this is my 2nd time seeing this new M3. My thoughts:
- It DOES look BETTER in person!
- It looks better in Black because the lower black trim doesn’t stand out and car looks lower and just more cohesive.
- The front end is Hideous and the hood is probably the worst part of the design.
- The front 19in wheel looks out of place on this car with the 20in rear. Right away it just looks weird and ruins the stance.
- The engine bay is Hideous compared to F8x gorgeous bay.
- The interior is G20 with M touches. This car had standard seats. I HATE the digital gauges.
- The rear is nice and aggressive.
- The view from Rear 3/4 angle is the best.
- The front fenders are more flared than on F8x and look great from the back of the car. The rear fenders are a bit less flared.
- The sideskirts are very aggressive and very well integrated into the design.
- Overall i think the M3 is not an ugly car and actually looks good from the rear! If I didn’t own an F80 and wanted an M3, I can probably get over the grills and order it in black or dark blue. I would NEVER trade my F80 for it though. To me no part of it looks better.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan25116.50
MFNATIK3498.00
GrussGott18183.50
GERMAN M34181.00
swagon13522.50
      03-02-2021, 10:29 PM   #3247
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

love the e60 m5 styling, even back then when i was like 12. guess im the only one
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      03-02-2021, 10:34 PM   #3248
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Here is the best angle.
Look at those front fenders flared out. Just need to get rid of the dumb plastic M fender badge. 😬
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25116.50
GERMAN M34181.00
      03-02-2021, 10:39 PM   #3249
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Here is the best angle.
Look at those front fenders flared out. Just need to get rid of the dumb plastic M fender badge. 😬
Nice looking car. Thanks for those.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:43 PM   #3250
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I'm going to put this out there.

Personally have a philosophy when it comes to cars. A car is designed well if any color works on it, not just Black or White.

I absolutely despise when ppl keep saying this, "Well it looks good in black!"

No s***. Almost cars look good in black wtf is your point? Nothing triggers me more than a brain dead comment like that.
MFNATIK3498.00
swagon13522.50
F32Fleet3574.50
stein_325i25083.00
CT_M31478.00
      03-02-2021, 10:45 PM   #3251
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

Personally have a philosophy when it comes to cars. A car is designed well if any color works on it, not just Black or White.

No s***. Almost cars look good in black wtf is your point? Nothing triggers me more than a brain dead comment like that.
....but not every color works well on the F8X.....or E9X....or E46, so are those cars designed poorly as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:45 PM   #3252
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Here is the best angle.
This is what I see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bustle
Appreciate 2
six75LT916.50
White3401393.00
      03-02-2021, 10:51 PM   #3253
R N M
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Did you READ why I said Black?! 🙄
Because the black lower trim takes away from the design. This way the car looks lower and just looks way more coherent as an overall design.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      03-02-2021, 11:12 PM   #3254
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Did you READ why I said Black?! 🙄
Because the black lower trim takes away from the design. This way the car looks lower and just looks way more coherent as an overall design.
I agree with this assessment for that very reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 11:12 PM   #3255
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
I think the 140 pages also includes a lot of venting and frustration, not entirely just on the G8x but what the car signifies about the brand.

2) The deafness of the heads @ Munich. It is shocking from the ads, the interviews (Dukec, Van Hooydonk et. al) that the company is 1) adamant that it knows best design wise. They even refer to the classic design cues as 'ashes'. 2) BMW refuses to even acknowledge the criticisms of its long time fans and followers. I read some of those articles and am just SMH. BMW also proceeds to 3) call its fans names such as 'boomers' in ads.

3) The use of influencers (this really annoys me) on the reveal. That was insulting; I consider myself of average intelligence, but to hear some guy tell me that the car was the greatest thing since sliced bread when I can clearly see it had issues, made me question what water they were drinking. It almost felt like a scene from the Emperor Who Had No Clothes and BMW was telling trying to brainwash me into accepting the car. Not sure how others felt about that, but I started unsubbing all the channels that revealed themselves as influencers.
Yup these are the main pain points for me personally. G8X is not the problem, it's simply a result of the problem in my eyes. Especially #3, that one really bothers me but that's a bigger issue than BMW, as there's no universal standard of reporting or independence that any of these "social media" streams have to adhere to. But I guess that's a true first world problem to have.
      03-02-2021, 11:15 PM   #3256
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
....but not every color works well on the F8X.....or E9X....or E46, so are those cars designed poorly as well?
You know, I don't think I know of a color that doesn't work on an E9X M3. I certainly know of a few colors that I don't think work on F8X and E46.
Sedan_Clan25116.50
DRLane3988.50