Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #1
crownline266
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage door opener

Does the car really have to be on to use the garage door opener via a button on the mirror? Or is there a setting to change it? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi E92 N55

Ignition has to be on engine doesn't
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
crownline266
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaya View Post
Ignition has to be on engine doesn't
Okay. That's a little better. I wonder why. My Ford Edge Sport didn't have to be on at all. It's hard getting used to different features.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Uhhhhh security reasons? I would not want my garage door to be opened at will with no power to the car. If it was that easy, whats to stop someone from breaking your car window in front of your house and just opening the garage door?
Appreciate 2
Kilabyte3942.00
Payamm338.50
      10-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Why would you need to use the home link to open the garage without your car being on?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Why would you need to use the home link to open the garage without your car being on?
Locked out of the house? haha
      11-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #7
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

I can open my garage door with my cellphone with an app and remote wifi switch in addition to the home link
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #8
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
I can open my garage door with my cellphone with an app and remote wifi switch in addition to the home link
For anyone who doesn't have a later-model garage door opener (GDO) with Wi-Fi capability, the Chamberlain MyQ Smart Garage Hub offers Wi-Fi/Internet connectivity that will allow smartphone control of your GDO: https://www.chamberlain.com/myq-smar.../p/MYQ-G0301-E. It works on sectional garage doors and with most GDOs made after 1993. With the app you can get alerts when your GDO opens and/or closes and set a daily schedule that will close the GDO at designated times in case you accidentally left your GDO open.

In addition, if you have Amazon Prime, this device will allow you to use the Amazon Key for Garage service, where Amazon will deliver your packages inside your garage safe and secure from thieves and bad weather. Amazon currently has the MyQ Smart Garage Hub as a limited time deal for only $30, 40% off their regular price: Amazon link

If you already have a Chamberlain or LiftMaster GDO you may be able to add this functionality by replacing your existing wall control panel with the LiftMaster MyQ Retrofit Package that contains the 888LM Control Panel and the Internet Gateway: Amazon link

I don't have either of these devices, but last year I replaced both my GDOs with the LiftMaster wall mount GDO, which includes the 888LM Control Panel, and offers the same functionality. Highly recommended!

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #9
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
For anyone who doesn't have a later-model garage door opener (GDO) with Wi-Fi capability, the Chamberlain MyQ Smart Garage Hub offers Wi-Fi/Internet connectivity that will allow smartphone control of your GDO: https://www.chamberlain.com/myq-smar.../p/MYQ-G0301-E. It works on sectional garage doors and with most GDOs made after 1993. With the app you can get alerts when your GDO opens and/or closes and set a daily schedule that will close the GDO at designated times in case you accidentally left your GDO open.

In addition, if you have Amazon Prime, this device will allow you to use the Amazon Key for Garage service, where Amazon will deliver your packages inside your garage safe and secure from thieves and bad weather. Amazon currently has the MyQ Smart Garage Hub as a limited time deal for only $30, 40% off their regular price: Amazon link

If you already have a Chamberlain or LiftMaster GDO you may be able to add this functionality by replacing your existing wall control panel with the LiftMaster MyQ Retrofit Package that contains the 888LM Control Panel and the Internet Gateway: Amazon link

I don't have either of these devices, but last year I replaced both my GDOs with the LiftMaster wall mount GDO, which includes the 888LM Control Panel, and offers the same functionality. Highly recommended!
This options cost around 70$. A wifi switch cost me 7$, I only added 3 feet of electrical wire to connect the switch to the garage door opener. The app is free and compatible with Alexa or Google Home
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 12:12 AM   #10
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This options cost around 70$. A wifi switch cost me 7$, I only added 3 feet of electrical wire to connect the switch to the garage door opener. The app is free and compatible with Alexa or Google Home
I have the same eBay Chinese switch which I used on my previous GDOs before I replaced them with the LiftMaster 8500 which comes with the 888LM Control Panel. Now the only reason I would need the switch is to give me Alexa voice control as LiftMaster already works with Google Home. The switch won't work when wired directly to the GDO, so I would have to solder it directly to the wall control panel. Haven't decided whether it's worth it or not just for Alexa voice control.

The Chinese eBay switch solution is for someone who is technically inclined and is able to solder two wires onto a PCB. The LiftMaster solution, while more expensive but still relatively inexpensive, is a simple, integrated plug-and-play solution.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #11
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I have the same eBay Chinese switch which I used on my previous GDOs before I replaced them with the LiftMaster 8500 which comes with the 888LM Control Panel. Now the only reason I would need the switch is to give me Alexa voice control as LiftMaster already works with Google Home. The switch won't work when wired directly to the GDO, so I would have to solder it directly to the wall control panel. Haven't decided whether it's worth it or not just for Alexa voice control.

The Chinese eBay switch solution is for someone who is technically inclined and is able to solder two wires onto a PCB. The LiftMaster solution, while more expensive but still relatively inexpensive, is a simple, integrated plug-and-play solution.
The Wifi switch is almost plug and play, not need to solder anything. the switch will pulse/connect 2 wires as do the push button of any door garage opener like the one inside the garage
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #12
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The Wifi switch is almost plug and play, not need to solder anything. the switch will pulse/connect 2 wires as do the push button of any door garage opener like the one inside the garage
I know how it works. I've probably watched the same YouTube videos as you have. It worked fine on my old GDO, connecting it directly to the GDO. It will not work on my LiftMaster 8500 by attaching it directly to the GDO or to the control panel. When used to activate the GDO it will cause an error on the GDO and then the GDO needs to be unplugged and plugged in again. A friend that has the same GDO as I do said that the only way he could get it to work was to solder the leads from the switch to the PCB on the control panel. The research that I did last year indicates that this switch won't work with late model LiftMaster/Chamberlain products that use smart control panels. There's also no security with this device when used with a voice control device.

Again, I'm able to use Google voice control as this is already integrated with LiftMaster. LiftMaster has since added the Amazon Key for Garage function because Amazon Alexa has added another level of security for products that open/unlock doors, etc., requiring a PIN to be used when unlocking doors, like my Schlage locks. I've spoken with LiftMaster and I expect that they will offer Alexa voice control soon. So not worth my trouble at this point.

The Chinese eBay switch will work for some people, but not all people, depending on which GDO they have. It also has no security layer when used with a voice control device because it doesn't require a PIN. It also won't work with Amazon Key for Garage for anyone that wants to use that to make sure their Amazon Prime deliveries are safe and secure.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:41 AM   #13
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

I bought the MyQ GDO kit off of Amazon. It's kinda stupid you have to get Google Home to toggle to MyQ phase and then command it to open a door.

Would think with Google integration, it should be as simple as "hey Google, open left garage door", but eh.

I mainly got the kit because my dumbass can't for the damn life of me remember if I closed the garage door not even 15 seconds out the driveway.

DD: 2020 Mazda CrystalWhite CX-5 GT w/PP
Wife's: 2023 Audi S5 Sportback DistrictGreen Premium Plus w/Blk Optic Package
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:59 PM   #14
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocurls View Post
I bought the MyQ GDO kit off of Amazon. It's kinda stupid you have to get Google Home to toggle to MyQ phase and then command it to open a door.

Would think with Google integration, it should be as simple as "hey Google, open left garage door", but eh.

I mainly got the kit because my dumbass can't for the damn life of me remember if I closed the garage door not even 15 seconds out the driveway.
You only need to have Google Home if you want to use voice commands to open/close your GDO. The MyQ app will remotely open/close the GDO, allow you to set schedules to close the GDO at a given times (close the GDO at the same time every night, in case it was left open) and set alerts to notify you by SMS and/or e-mail when the GDO is opened or closed.

Based on conversations with LiftMaster technical support, I expect that they will again offer integration with Amazon Alexa sometime next year. They already partner with Amazon for Key for Garage, letting Amazon delivery personnel open your GDO to deliver packages safely and security inside your garage.

Appreciate 0