Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

09-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #89
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
FYI, the specs on the BMW AU website are out of date.
Thanks. This is per BMW's press release in terms of the new inclusions on MY16 cars, but I note with interest that BMW never mentioned the "removals", that is, metallic paint and rear blinds (for M3 only) are now cost options. Also it's a bit confusing that under "Lights and Sights", it says that Heat/Sun protection Glazing is standard, but then further down Sun Protection Glazing is an option. What that is, is that M3/4s come standard with a slight tint all around (the green-ish tint we have on our cars), but the much darker tint that goes around the rear and back windows are an $800 option. Otherwise everything else is as per their press release previously.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #90
Øzzy
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

What about the LED adaptive lights which I had to pay an extra $3500 for them, is that still an payable extra? What about internet etc...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 08:22 PM   #91
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Øzzy View Post
What about the LED adaptive lights which I had to pay an extra $3500 for them, is that still an payable extra? What about internet etc...
LED was $2300. I didnt spec them in the F80s but have them in my F82. Yes it was painful seeing all the inclusions in FY16 but I'm over all that now.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #92
Øzzy
Banned
Australia
Rep

Yes 2300 + GST + Lux Car tax + stamp duty and there you go... 3500 or there about
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 11:24 PM   #93
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yes 2300 + GST + Lux Car tax + stamp duty and there you go... 3500 or there about
Sucks huh?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 02:34 AM   #94
Øzzy
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Sucks huh?
Big time
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 05:53 AM   #95
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Big time

I,still remember buying my E92 in alpine white, manual, M3, back in '08, a nice $169k.

When you look at the MY16 and its standard inclusions, and how much one can be had for, it really is amazing. Back in the day, DCT was, iirc, an $8k option too.

My point is, times have moved on and prices are getting better, the recent change was a big step change, really setting the tone for the M2 pricing structure in Australia.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #96
chromedome
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Alpine White, 911 997.2

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
There's an interesting article (2012) here on car affordability in Australia.

It's all relative -perhaps showing my age, my father bought a 190E Mercedes in 1989 - it was around $60K - a new Corolla in those days was around $13K. It didn't even come with A/C as standard. It has classy chequer pattered seats, 5 speed manual and a radio cassette player. It may have had ABS and a drivers airbag. One of The most expensive car then was a Mercedes 560SEC at around $200K.

If you compare the features of these cars versus what you get for very similar money (in real terms) these days cars are getting cheaper and better value.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #97
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

hi guys

looking at an m3 lci now due to the new pricing - makes a welcome change from the 190k i was quoted at start of the year for a fully optioned sedan

couldn't justify that kind of money for a daily, but new pricing is spot on imo

had a loaner M4 yesterday thanks to doncaster bmw, and found the ride way too harsh, would crash over train tracks and broken tarmac. tried to do some b and c road driving and it was skipping across the road over bumps and tc (even in one press off mode) wouldn't let me power down off a corner it was that bumpy and unsettled in the rear

i was very surprised it was that uncomfortable in comfort mode, and ive asked the dealer to check if perhaps this 700km demo may still have had the transport blocks in the springs

otherwise im hoping the M3 is a softer state of tune than the M4, and am awaiting a test drive of a sedan now as im super keen to get back into an M car

Last edited by domino_z; 09-28-2015 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:35 AM   #98
Øzzy
Banned
Australia
Rep

Thats strange because my M4 has non of the suspension issues you mention, did 2 track-days already and the car handles really nice both on smooth tarmac and bumps

I wonder if the car was still new and needed more bedding in to soften up a bit
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 04:28 AM   #99
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z
hi guys

looking at an m3 lci now due to the new pricing - makes a welcome change from the 190k i was quoted at start of the year for a fully optioned sedan

had a loaner M4 yesterday thanks to doncaster bmw, and found the ride way too harsh, would crash over train tracks and broken tarmac. tried to do some b and c road driving and it was skipping across the road over bumps and tc (even in one press off mode) wouldn't let me power down off a corner it was that bumpy and unsettled in the rear

i was very surprised it was that uncomfortable in comfort mode, and ive asked the dealer to check if perhaps this 700km demo may still have had the transport blocks in the springs

otherwise im hoping the M3 is a softer state of tune than the M4, and am awaiting a test drive of a sedan now as im super keen to get back into an M car
Keep us in the loop how you go.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 04:37 AM   #100
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
hi guys

I'm willing to bet the tyre pressures were all wrong in the car you drove. Mine came from the dealer with 40psi all around, which is way more than it needs, or is recommended on the placard. Everytime it has been back in for something they pump it back up to 40

I run 32 cold, which is what is recommended on the placard. That comes to around 34-35 driving around. It handles and grips much better, and has less of that crash feeling over bumps. Out of all the cars I've driven this car / suspension / tyre package is one of the most sensitive to tyre pressure changes.

Next time you test drive one have a look at the pressures. Mine has the pressure / temp monitoring. I'm out of touch with options but does the ozzie LCI come with that standard now?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 05:06 AM   #101
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i did think of the pressures as it felt like over inflated tyres in terms of how hard it hit broken tarmac, i looked through the idrive but couldn't find any actual pressure numbers

i'm going to drive a sedan in a few days, so will give it another shot
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #102
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

M3 and M4 are identical so it's not going to be any different.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #103
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Grab evo cover which compares f80 to w205 sedan, recent, in there they reckon the M3 rides marginally better than the m4 they ran as a long termer. They asked BMW to respond, and apparently the answer is the cars are constantly under "continuous improvement". I bought (haven't got delivery yet, so technically haven't bought anything) an lci with ceramics. I drove both with and without, I think the ceramics car was less crashy, more compliant but then that could be a $15k placebo effect!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #104
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Ceramics are always less crashy because of much lighter unsprung weight. I had first hand back to back ownership experience with a 997.2 GT3 with steel brakes, then swapped it for one with PCCB. I also did the same with the Boxster Spyder. In both cases the PCCB cars are much less crashy and the steering feel is much better (more responsive) with PCCB. We are not talking about a small difference either!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #105
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Although I'm not an AU member, I'm extremely curious as to what compensation was offered to early adopters based on the price drop/depreciation issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 03:10 PM   #106
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
i did think of the pressures as it felt like over inflated tyres in terms of how hard it hit broken tarmac, i looked through the idrive but couldn't find any actual pressure numbers

i'm going to drive a sedan in a few days, so will give it another shot

Hey Sam,

Be interested on your thoughts on the M3 once you've had a go in that one as well. Prices of them seem much better than what BMW were after upon release.

Still got the R35 and other bits and pieces?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #107
Øzzy
Banned
Australia
Rep

Just remember that CCB callipers are a lot bigger and have a clearance of a few mm between them and the rim... Expect damage to the rim and calliper if a small rock gets caught in there wile driving

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...amic+callipers
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #108
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Just remember that CCB callipers are a lot bigger and have a clearance of a few mm between them and the rim... Expect damage to the rim and calliper if a small rock gets caught in there wile driving

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...amic+callipers

Yeah seen that, I hope they fixed the issue with the LCI's, it was reported to them (BMW) last year so hopefully they put in something to sweep/avoid it happening but I have not followed the thread to see what resolution others got under warranty if any
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #109
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No word yet from dealer about their demo but tire pressure is something I'll definitely check

Tbh though, first thing I do on all my cars is swap out the Oem tyres for super sports, and that does wonders for ride compliance, so other than fine tuning pressure, there's not much else to do

Yep I'm a big advocate for ceramics and only for the Unsprung weight in turn in and change of direction. I optioned my f-type r with the ceramics at around 25k (includes a specific oem forged wheel) but on something like an m3 as a daily I don't think it's a good point of resale given how expensive they are to replace - most buyers will shy away from ceramics on used market once these cars start hitting 50k+ km. We've been seeing that on porsches, especially gt3's which consume brakes on track

r35 is gone, ended the build at 500awkw and a crazy interior retrim. Just got over it and wanted to get out of jdm scene

Collection is going well, been buying up key last gen sports and supercars as future collectibles
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 11:55 PM   #110
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep

I've heard that about resale but my expectation is ceramics will hit critical mass soon so when time comes to sell, it won't be a concern or replace with irons. If I bought a used m with irons, i would seriously consider replacing the irons anyway and the ceramic rotors can easily be weighed and inspected for any damage. Trying to justify this stuff is perhaps redundant. I bought because of all the pros related to them and sort of ignored the price , not that I have a collection of exotics... or any sort of collection actually, but happy for you and hope to one day as well!

Will start with a 997.2 gt3 RS 4.0.
Appreciate 0