Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-28-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
JayML
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

Recommendations for M4CS coilovers or sleeves

I'm looking to drop my CS. The car looks way better in my opinion lowered. I do not track the car. I take my wife and kids in the car. I cannot have the suspension harsh.

What is recommended? I want the ride soft. If I put KWV3 on the car, I'm wasting the EDC. If I put a Has kit on the car, I do not think it will ride softer.

How can I get the best of both worlds, smoother softer ride but the car sits lower.

Thanks for the suggestions
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Get the Bilstein Damptronic or KW DDC
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #3
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

If you do not want a stiff ride, I do not recommend the B16 Damptronic. While the damping is amazing and hooks like hell, it's not for a street car in my opinion. I'm currently looking to change to M Performance HAS and swap out rears for Bilstein B4 Damptronics to see if that will help on my base model.

However, the damping seems to be sorted out pretty well on the CS. So depending on your budget, I would either go with Eibach V2 springs or M Performance HAS if you want to stick to OEM.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
If you do not want a stiff ride, I do not recommend the B16 Damptronic. While the damping is amazing and hooks like hell, it's not for a street car in my opinion. I'm currently looking to change to M Performance HAS and swap out rears for Bilstein B4 Damptronics to see if that will help on my base model.
They also have B6 Damptronic.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
They also have B6 Damptronic.
B6 are just the dampers. I have them in my B16 kit. Although you can't get the fronts in the US. Idk if it's the shocks or the springs or both, but the only attainable way to get B6 all around is through the B16 kit, and it's stiff.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #6
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
B6 are just the dampers. I have them in my B16 kit. Although you can't get the fronts in the US. Idk if it's the shocks or the springs or both, but the only attainable way to get B6 all around is through the B16 kit, and it's stiff.
I am confused by their product range naming scheme.

I had a B12 Pro-Kit on an E90 which, apparently, consisted of B8 dampers and Eibach springs. B4 was a base OEM replacement, and no one could tell me the difference between B6 and B8 dampers but everyone suspected B8 is the sportier version. And their range-topping B16 uses B6's and not B8's?
      10-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapmyfro View Post
I'm looking to drop my CS. The car looks way better in my opinion lowered. I do not track the car. I take my wife and kids in the car. I cannot have the suspension harsh.

What is recommended? I want the ride soft. If I put KWV3 on the car, I'm wasting the EDC. If I put a Has kit on the car, I do not think it will ride softer.

How can I get the best of both worlds, smoother softer ride but the car sits lower.

Thanks for the suggestions
If looking to just lower the car and keep the ride unchanged - get the Macht Schnell Sport Competition springs and call it a day. Otherwise, the MP HAS would be the next viable option if looking have adjustability as an option also.

If still fixed on a coilover setup, get Ohlins over the KWV3s. You'll be much happier on how the kit performs on the street. However, it seems like a bit overkill for what you want.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I am confused by their product range naming scheme.

I had a B12 Pro-Kit on an E90 which, apparently, consisted of B8 dampers and Eibach springs. B4 was a base OEM replacement, and no one could tell me the difference between B6 and B8 dampers but everyone suspected B8 is the sportier version. And their range-topping B16 uses B6's and not B8's?
From my understanding:

B4 - OEM replacement, stock height
B6 - Beefier/sport dampers, stock height
B8 - Beefier/sportier dampers, lowered height

According to Bilstein, B8 dampers will be developed if and only if the B6 dampers are determined to not be sufficient on lowered height. In the current gen M3/M4 case, B6 was determined to be sufficient. The only problem is that Bilstein still hasn't released the front B6 Damptronics as standalone dampers for the US.

B12/B14/B16 are coil over systems that contain a range of damper selections. I'm not going to make a false statement because I'm not a pro on them, but what I can say is the B16 Damptronic for this platform uses B6 Damptronic shocks, but it may use B8 for other platforms. The problem with this is that the B6 front is really only attainable in the US as part of the front coil over assembly so far, not as a standalone B6 shock.

I hope that clarifies at least a little
Appreciate 1
swagon13506.50
      10-29-2019, 04:04 PM   #9
BS_CS
No Armrest club
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS / 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
From my understanding:

B4 - OEM replacement, stock height
B6 - Beefier/sport dampers, stock height
B8 - Beefier/sportier dampers, lowered height

According to Bilstein, B8 dampers will be developed if and only if the B6 dampers are determined to not be sufficient on lowered height. In the current gen M3/M4 case, B6 was determined to be sufficient. The only problem is that Bilstein still hasn't released the front B6 Damptronics as standalone dampers for the US.

B12/B14/B16 are coil over systems that contain a range of damper selections. I'm not going to make a false statement because I'm not a pro on them, but what I can say is the B16 Damptronic for this platform uses B6 Damptronic shocks, but it may use B8 for other platforms. The problem with this is that the B6 front is really only attainable in the US as part of the front coil over assembly so far, not as a standalone B6 shock.

I hope that clarifies at least a little
Specific to the F80 M3, there is no B8 Damper, but you are correct, the B8's are intended for vehicles with an aftermarket lowering spring (Eibach, H&R and so on). B6's are intended to be used with the OE spring.

To correct you, Bilstein has released the B6 front damptronic struts as a standalone, it's part number 31-246200 but it's listed on a backorder in the US for now but Bilstein Germany likely has inventory ready to go.

B12's are a B6 or B8 damper with a set of Eibach springs, so this is not a coilover system.

B14's are a coilover with ride height adjustability only.

B16's are a coilover with the same ride height adjustability as the B14, but it also includes dampning adjustability as well.

The B16 damptronic coilover system does not use the same B6 struts because the B6 struts are not a ride height adjustable strut.

B6 front strut for F80 M3 in Yellow.

B16 front coilover strut for F80 M3 in Silver w/ blue spring.

Sorry for the massive photos, it's the only way Bilstein publishes them on their catalog.
Attached Images

10-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #10
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS_CS View Post
Specific to the F80 M3, there is no B8 Damper, but you are correct, the B8's are intended for vehicles with an aftermarket lowering spring (Eibach, H&R and so on). B6's are intended to be used with the OE spring.

To correct you, Bilstein has released the B6 front damptronic struts as a standalone, it's part number 31-246200 but it's listed on a backorder in the US for now but Bilstein Germany likely has inventory ready to go.

B12's are a B6 or B8 damper with a set of Eibach springs, so this is not a coilover system.

B14's are a coilover with ride height adjustability only.

B16's are a coilover with the same ride height adjustability as the B14, but it also includes dampning adjustability as well.

The B16 damptronic coilover system does not use the same B6 struts because the B6 struts are not a ride height adjustable strut.

B6 front strut for F80 M3 in Yellow.

B16 front coilover strut for F80 M3 in Silver w/ blue spring.

Sorry for the massive photos, it's the only way Bilstein publishes them on their catalog.
Thanks for the clarification, but I'm 100% positive my rear struts are B6 Damptronic. The installation documentation even lists them as such. I could get under the car for part numbers but really don't care to.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #11
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

I would just change springs. An adjustable springkit and you are good. I use H&R adjustable springkit and the rear springs are actually slightly softer than stock comp pack. Very satisfyed.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #12
BS_CS
No Armrest club
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS / 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, but I'm 100% positive my rear struts are B6 Damptronic. The installation documentation even lists them as such. I could get under the car for part numbers but really don't care to.

EDIT: Actually I'm changing my answer after some digging...

The B16 rear shock that you have on your vehicle is part number F4-26247014-H0 OR F4-26247021-H0 depending on what side you're looking at.

The rear B6 shock which is available in the German market right now is F4-26245591-H0 or F4-26246970-H0 (rear right and left).

Though they look identical, the valving between the two shocks is not the same. The rear shocks on the B16 kit are technically standalone to that kit because it's matched to the spring rate provided in the kit, whereas the B6 which is intended for the OE springs is valved to accommodate for the OE spring rate.

Last edited by BS_CS; 10-29-2019 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
ntg442888.50
      10-30-2019, 12:17 PM   #13
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Have you tried the B16's on track? Interested to hear how they perform. I cant find any spring rates either for the B16 kit, be interested to know if they are linear or progressive as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #14
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Have you tried the B16's on track? Interested to hear how they perform. I cant find any spring rates either for the B16 kit, be interested to know if they are linear or progressive as well.
I have not, but I can confirm they are progressive rates. There are a few people on here who have tracked them with positive reviews. I've already posted my review in a dedicated thread, so don't want to hijack this one, but since it's relevant to OP's question, coming from a non-CP car with 18 inch wheels and adaptive suspension, arguably the softest setting you can configure the car with, on the street, they're just too much for me.

I can't compare to stock CP suspension, since I've never ridden in it. But as amazing as the car hooks up now, and how tight and confident the car feels to drive, it's just a little too rough for my street car purposes. My wife can't sit in the back seat anymore, when she used to on my MS lowering springs with no problem. There are a lot of great things about the kit, but in the end, I don't think it's for me.

Next week, I'm getting MP HAS with stock shocks in front, and Bilstein B4 Damptronics in the rear. I'm hoping the B4s are a little better than my stock rears, and will report back eventually. I did get confirmation from Bilstein USA that B4 rears can be paired with B6s in front, but I don't remember ever having an issue with the front before - it was all in the rear. So the best option for me right now is to try this out.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 03:28 PM   #15
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS_CS View Post
[I]EDIT:

… The rear B6 shock which is available in the German market right now is F4-26245591-H0 or F4-26246970-H0 (rear right and left).

Though they look identical, the valving between the two shocks is not the same. The rear shocks on the B16 kit are technically standalone to that kit because it's matched to the spring rate provided in the kit, whereas the B6 which is intended for the OE springs is valved to accommodate for the OE spring rate.

Albeit an old thread...

Available now @ RockAuto

* https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php pk=11159661&cc=3434250&jsn=1

Cheers!

05-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #16
LMD84
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

MSS Springs meet all the criteria you are looking for.
Appreciate 0