Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-02-2021, 11:23 PM   #3257
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Did you READ why I said Black?! ��
Because the black lower trim takes away from the design. This way the car looks lower and just looks way more coherent as an overall design.
I'm not really pointing fingers at you or anyone when it comes to colors, I don't know why you or the person I have blocked are tagging me.

In general. Having a car only looking good in White or Black doesn't mean anything. Any car can look good in those colors. A car in black or white is just a blank canvas. Nothing more.

There isn't anything wrong with that but it isn't any indication of a good looking car if its just "It looks good in Black."
      03-02-2021, 11:39 PM   #3258
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
SYT_Shadow Respectfully.

I think its too broad a brush to paint everyone who's commented in these 140 pages. Quite a few here have been fans of the brand for a long time, its not that we're hating on the car just because of how bad it looks etc., but because it is a clear signal that BMW continues to bastardize its M lineup for the sake of sales #s, and continues to veer away its M heritage. Let's face it, BMW M has been relying on its heritage to sell cars. They are no longer in F1, and have not been heavily involved in racing since then (2009).

Instead, this is what makes the headlines:
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...ms?language=en

I think the 140 pages also includes a lot of venting and frustration, not entirely just on the G8x but what the car signifies about the brand.

For some here, the M3 has always exemplified the best and more extreme performance BMW; the most high performance expression that the company sells. It's a halo car that draws in young teens, puts posters on walls. Hence, the crazy high bar that some people put out there.

I still remember the E46 M3 when it was launched. That was one car that I actually lusted after. Every time I saw one, I would catch a glimpse. For years, it shocked the world being able to put out >100hp/liter, supercar like performance. Can we say the same of the latest iteration? even the F8x?

1) "Simplify and add lightness" - Colin Chapman (Lotus Cars)
Weight is foundational to the overall performance of the car. I expected the next iteration to be equal (+/- 100lbs or less). The S58 is expected to be higher performing; so there's that. But the increased size of the car, weight of the car is just disappointing. BMW just appeared to go back to the ole playbook of throwing a heavier engine to make up the shortfalls of the platform due to the lard inducing addition of more creature comforts, cost cutting efforts.

2) The deafness of the heads @ Munich. It is shocking from the ads, the interviews (Dukec, Van Hooydonk et. al) that the company is 1) adamant that it knows best design wise. They even refer to the classic design cues as 'ashes'. 2) BMW refuses to even acknowledge the criticisms of its long time fans and followers. I read some of those articles and am just SMH. BMW also proceeds to 3) call its fans names such as 'boomers' in ads.

3) The use of influencers (this really annoys me) on the reveal. That was insulting; I consider myself of average intelligence, but to hear some guy tell me that the car was the greatest thing since sliced bread when I can clearly see it had issues, made me question what water they were drinking. It almost felt like a scene from the Emperor Who Had No Clothes and BMW was telling trying to brainwash me into accepting the car. Not sure how others felt about that, but I started unsubbing all the channels that revealed themselves as influencers.

I'm still a BMW fan; there are lots of reminders of the great cars the company has made. I love the track events that M motorsport puts on. But this new direction the company is taking is questionable and ultimately makes BMW another Lexus, or Audi clone. Yes, Porsche charges more. Why? Because they can. Why? Aside from their meticulous engineering, they have built the brand equity to allow them to do through repeated successes at showing the 911 as the halo car for the sports car enthusiast.

BTW: I think the burger analogy fair; to me, the price increase is to be expected due to inflation and margin pressure. That's not the issue. The issue is when the product falls short of the expectations.

I keep buying In and Out (or whatever) and don't really think about the prices at all. But if the burger starts skimping out by doling out thinner slices of patty and more bun to make me feel full, I start buying less or look for alternatives. And I can afford a 911, but being a fan of BMW, the M3 had always represented a good compromise as a DD and sports car. It also represented good value. Sadly, this appears to be fading. So maybe some of us here have to pay more and get that Ruth Chris' burger. So be it.
Very well said. I'll wait until I see and drive one before I make my ultimate decision. I have no doubt it does look better in person. However, if it feels like a smaller version of the M5/8Cs I've driven on track with BMW M (I suspect it will), it's not going to do it for me. The only thing that might get me to go for one is a stick and the re-introduction of ED. Ultimately, the vapid, look-at-me, listen-to-me, instaculture has arrived at BMW. I suspect it's coming for Porsche as well. Thankfully, they still (for the time being) have the depth and breadth to offer niche cars. I can't wait to see the 992T iteration.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 11:58 PM   #3259
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Even in all black I don’t think the car looks good because you can still see a lot of the design queues throughout the car that makes no sense.

It looks better, but not good.

From its best angle the side looks fine but the rear still sticks out like a sore thumb and you can see it’s bulges very clearly and I’m not a fan of how outwardly pointy and sloping squaredish it is.
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2021, 12:12 AM   #3260
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
....but not every color works well on the F8X.....or E9X....or E46, so are those cars designed poorly as well?
You know, I don't think I know of a color that doesn't work on an E9X M3. I certainly know of a few colors that I don't think work on F8X and E46.
I too am curious what colors don't work on e46, e9x? Don't you dare say Dakar
      03-03-2021, 12:26 AM   #3261
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:
Quote:
....but not every color works well on the F8X.....or E9X....or E46, so are those cars designed poorly as well?
You know, I don't think I know of a color that doesn't work on an E9X M3. I certainly know of a few colors that I don't think work on F8X and E46.
They could paint this new thing in Dakar and I'd probably give them a pass! Legendary color!
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
DRLane3968.00
      03-03-2021, 12:34 AM   #3262
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

I hope no one orders it in LSB or else it might ruin the color for me lol
Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7574.00
stein_325i25051.00
      03-03-2021, 12:38 AM   #3263
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There are plenty, but as with most of the contentious topics, it's all subjective. I liked Dakar on the E36, but not on the E46. It looked okay on the E9X and pretty good on the F8X. LSB and PY looked great to me on the E46, but I didn't care for PY on anything else; LSB looks really great on the F8X.

We can all banter about comparing this color or that color, but it's all preference I suppose. In the individual compilation threads, I found myself not caring for half of the colors. Some of the colors would need significant mods to pull off while some would pass in OEM guise. The F8X, for example, can pull off Signal Green really well. That color would look horrible to me on any prior iteration of M3.
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7574.00
      03-03-2021, 12:41 AM   #3264
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Here is the best angle.
Look at those front fenders flared out. Just need to get rid of the dumb plastic M fender badge. 😬
Why does the bottom rear bumper protrude out like it does. That looks awful. Never noticed it, now I can’t unsee it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 12:50 AM   #3265
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post

Why does the bottom rear bumper protrude out like it does. That looks awful. Never noticed it, now I can’t unsee it.
Yup, the G8x prolapsed rectum rear is worse than the grille.
Appreciate 5
MFNATIK3487.00
ntg442887.50
stein_325i25051.00
minn1913970.00
      03-03-2021, 01:22 AM   #3266
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
*Zips up flame suit*

Soooo... I don't like Dakar on any car but that's purely a personal preference as I don't like yellow cars period (one exception for Austin Gold, but not Phoenix Yellow strangely enough) - so I couldn't say it doesn't work on E9X. I would put it this way:

F8X has very sculpted and defined body lines, and I think it benefits primarily from metallic colors as they shift light in a way that really highlights and accentuates its bodylines and shifting shapes within the crevices of the lines - it's a very three-dimensional design language. No color in my mind does this better than Sakhir Orange, its shift from orange to red really works well with F8X. With non-metallic colors it's case by case to me and even then I think it needs to be a high contrast/vibrance color since it will be relying on shadows to show the lines (example Fire Orange and LSB still work on F8X, although I prefer LSB as an E46 color). With that in mind, one color that in my mind really doesn't work with F8X would be Mint Green, or any other pastel color really. The washed out nature of pastel colors really nullifies the lines of F8X. Also, as a personal preference, I am not a fan of CQM - I know there are a few out there, and I had the option to buy one but that color specifically doesn't do it for me.

E46 has defined lines but they aren't sculpted, they're more like carved in but while maintaining a very two dimensional design language. This is expected because in my mind, E46 is really the car that began to define the design cues of the last 3 generations of M3, of which E9X and F8X sourced their inspiration/cohesion. In this case, I think dark metallic colors and non-metallic colors work very well. Lighter metallics work but they don't shift color in the way that they do on F8X - again due to the lack of sculpting. My two favorite E46 colors are LSB and Steel Grey (although it was discontinued). *Checks flame suit is still on* I don't like Dakar on the E46 because I think like Mint on F8X, it washes out the lines - so I would probably not utilize any pastel colors here either. Controversially, I also do not like Alpine White on E46 as I find that color really washes out the lines like pastels do and E46 doesn't have the sculpting to makeup for it with shadows.

Now all of this brings me to E9X, which is somewhere in between as it has more sculpting than E46 but less definition in its lines so in a way it's a softer while transitioning to a more three-dimensional design. This kind of makes it a bit of a chameleon in that I think just about any color can fit E9X's design characteristics. Every color I've seen works although as with the other two, I'd probably stay away from pastels - though I've never seen any on an E9X. If I had to choose a color that I like on the other two but isn't as well executed on E9X, it would have to be LSB - I think lines are just too soft for it. My all time favorite color on an E9X is Silverstone (I know... I'm basic).

If I had to pick one color for each of the listed generations, they would be:

E46 - LSB
E9X - Silverstone
F8X - Sakhir Orange
Sedan_Clan24829.00
MFNATIK3487.00
clutchdj1851.50
DRLane3968.00
CT_M31478.00
      03-03-2021, 01:43 AM   #3267
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
*Zips up flame suit*

Soooo... I don't like Dakar on any car but that's purely a personal preference as I don't like yellow cars period (one exception for Austin Gold, but not Phoenix Yellow strangely enough) - so I couldn't say it doesn't work on E9X. I would put it this way:

F8X has very sculpted and defined body lines, and I think it benefits primarily from metallic colors as they shift light in a way that really highlights and accentuates its bodylines and shifting shapes within the crevices of the lines - it's a very three-dimensional design language. No color in my mind does this better than Sakhir Orange, its shift from orange to red really works well with F8X. With non-metallic colors it's case by case to me and even then I think it needs to be a high contrast/vibrance color since it will be relying on shadows to show the lines (example Fire Orange and LSB still work on F8X, although I prefer LSB as an E46 color). With that in mind, one color that in my mind really doesn't work with F8X would be Mint Green, or any other pastel color really. The washed out nature of pastel colors really nullifies the lines of F8X. Also, as a personal preference, I am not a fan of CQM - I know there are a few out there, and I had the option to buy one but that color specifically doesn't do it for me.

E46 has defined lines but they aren't sculpted, they're more like carved in but while maintaining a very two dimensional design language. This is expected because in my mind, E46 is really the car that began to define the design cues of the last 3 generations of M3, of which E9X and F8X sourced their inspiration/cohesion. In this case, I think dark metallic colors and non-metallic colors work very well. Lighter metallics work but they don't shift color in the way that they do on F8X - again due to the lack of sculpting. My two favorite E46 colors are LSB and Steel Grey (although it was discontinued). *Checks flame suit is still on* I don't like Dakar on the E46 because I think like Mint on F8X, it washes out the lines - so I would probably not utilize any pastel colors here either. Controversially, I also do not like Alpine White on E46 as I find that color really washes out the lines like pastels do and E46 doesn't have the sculpting to makeup for it with shadows.

Now all of this brings me to E9X, which is somewhere in between as it has more sculpting than E46 but less definition in its lines so in a way it's a softer while transitioning to a more three-dimensional design. This kind of makes it a bit of a chameleon in that I think just about any color can fit E9X's design characteristics. Every color I've seen works although as with the other two, I'd probably stay away from pastels - though I've never seen any on an E9X. If I had to choose a color that I like on the other two but isn't as well executed on E9X, it would have to be LSB - I think lines are just too soft for it. My all time favorite color on an E9X is Silverstone (I know... I'm basic).

If I had to pick one color for each of the listed generations, they would be:

E46 - LSB
E9X - Silverstone
F8X - Sakhir Orange
Nicely articulated.
Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7574.00
DRLane3968.00
      03-03-2021, 04:06 AM   #3268
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Yup, the G8x prolapsed rectum rear is worse than the grille.
I only noticed it when it was posted from the side in here 🥺😩😖

It’s probably the worst part of the car.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      03-03-2021, 06:39 AM   #3269
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I'm just wondering when people who have nothing nice to say about car X will leave the forum of that brand. You won't find me on rennlist hating their cars all day. On this forum though, you see exactly that.
It's just odd.

Half the time I'm just shaking the troll tree, hoping something funny will drop out. Don't take me too seriously
The difference is that you obviously have a deep hate for Porsche and have never had a history with the brand. Most of us here do have history with BMW and the community, we really loved our ///M cars, and are simply disappointed with the overall direction BMW is taking

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25051.00
alex23642846.50
GrussGott18113.00
      03-03-2021, 08:04 AM   #3270
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
The difference is that you obviously have a deep hate for Porsche and have never had a history with the brand. Most of us here do have history with BMW and the community, we really loved our ///M cars, and are simply disappointed with the overall direction BMW is taking
As a PCA instructor since like 2015 I'm not sure 'no history with the brand' is accurate

I have a massive amount of experience at the track with both the cars and its owners.
Many times, that brand is like a mental illness for people who were never fast to begin with at the track, but who become convinced that instead of taking their driving from 6/10 to 7/10, what they need is to switch cars. You can recognize those afflicted by this disease with some symptoms:
-They are not fast
-They place their trust in technology and the vehicle, instead of learning to drive
-Commonly speak of 'dedicated sports car', as if they drove fast enough to notice the difference between that and a watermelon
-Whenever things come up in their cars and they don't perform as expected, it's because they did not tick the right option box. Not their fault for their cretinous driving. Their GT3 RS is not fast enough vs a M3 because they did not tick the Weistec package box. Boo hoo.
-Despite having 'purpose built sports cars', they have the most mods of the entire paddock
-Do strange things like upgrade to a GT3 brake booster in their Cayman, then say it's no longer possible to rev match. Proven wrong immediately after.
-Whenever their dedicated sports car gets its ass handed to it, they come look at your car. Then point things out like 'but you removed the rear seats!!!' as if they had rear seats in the first place, and as if that were the difference for their loss. Of course they overlook they run full aero, or that my brother and I were screwing around and both of us were in the car when the incident happened

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 03-03-2021 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      03-03-2021, 08:06 AM   #3271
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8SEVEN View Post
Ultimately, the vapid, look-at-me, listen-to-me, instaculture has arrived at BMW. I suspect it's coming for Porsche as well. .
So... you mean that did not arrive ten years ago for Porsche when they released the giant PORSCHE lettering for the side of the car?

Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with the stuff I read. Car brand has orange/red wheels and PORSCHE lettering only the blind could miss for the past 10 years, considered classy.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 03-03-2021 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24829.00
      03-03-2021, 08:10 AM   #3272
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
What gives you the right to be insulting to others?
Please show where I insulted others
Appreciate 1
doug_9992538.50
      03-03-2021, 08:11 AM   #3273
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
So... you mean that did not arrive ten years ago for Porsche when they released the giant PORSCHE lettering for the side of the car?

Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with the stuff I read.
I usually don't give a shit about what people think about my purchases etc, but it was a big hindrance to me getting a Porsche. I think just having one regardless of badging brings the connotations the other poster was talking about. I to think it is odd your hatred for Porsche. You have some good points and some not so good/accurate ones about them IMO.

Speaking of opinions and the entire basis for this thread. How would you feel being a long time member here if they banned you from this section. No warning, no nothing, just for having a counter opinion and from own words, some trollish etc behaviour in this section/thread?
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25051.00
GrussGott18113.00
ra2289302.00
      03-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #3274
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Please show where I insulted others
C'mon, you can't see how some might think you've been insulting to them with some posts here?
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      03-03-2021, 08:28 AM   #3275
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I usually don't give a shit about what people think about my purchases etc, but it was a big hindrance to me getting a Porsche. I think just having one regardless of badging brings the connotations the other poster was talking about. I to think it is odd your hatred for Porsche. You have some good points and some not so good/accurate ones about them IMO.

Speaking of opinions and the entire basis for this thread. How would you feel being a long time member here if they banned you from this section. No warning, no nothing, just for having a counter opinion and from own words, some trollish etc behaviour in this section/thread?
When I said 'shaking the troll tree' I meant shaking the tree to see if a troll falls out.

I don't think it's that odd. I have friends who drive Porsches. I've driven most Porsches and have enjoyed a few, particularly a 991.2 6MT GT3.

I don't have friends who, when they hear a XXXX is going to cost YYYY, immediately answer 'I would not pay that for a XXXX'. And it's not just a thing of BMW, it's for any brand. If Miata's going to come out with some strange special edition that's going to cost 100k, I at least wait for some reviews.

Edit: answering your question, I would not like to be banned. I was in the G8X section while the bans started happening. I don't like censorship, but it seems like some topics invade all others and derail every conversation. I suppose that's why people started getting banned, but I'm not a mod here. The only people I'd ban are ones who literally have nothing to add to the conversation and every single post is them hating on the brand this forum is meant to discuss.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 03-03-2021 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
The_Werm212.00
      03-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #3276
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I’m not sure if ppl missed it but the car I posted is still available.

I don’t remember ever seeing that with F8x on the 1st cars hitting dealers. I’m sure it will sell OK but definitely not the same excitement due to the controversial styling.......
Appreciate 4
MFNATIK3487.00
M3_WC1040.00
GrussGott18113.00
      03-03-2021, 08:40 AM   #3277
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

I'm hoping reviews won't echo this. I think M could put in a bit more work into their ride and handling balance as of late. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the X3M.
Attached Images

03-03-2021, 08:51 AM   #3278
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

In all honesty I am not totally adverse to getting into a G8x but that forum is like nails on a chalkboard painful. I wonder if it will ever not be that way if no enthusiasts buy them? Meaning it will stay painful for ever because interest and adoption was so low by people who are passionate about them.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00