R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-04-2021, 01:02 PM   #3433
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Hmm did you guys notice the leaves collecting in this spot?

I know the F8x gen gets leaves in its oil cooler/heat exchanger area, but this is different.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
irunalot1518.00
White3401392.00
      03-04-2021, 01:05 PM   #3434
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Hmm did you guys notice the leaves collecting in this spot?

I know the F8x gen gets leaves in its oil cooler/heat exchanger area, but this is different.
I'm sorry, I believe you are mistaken. That is just a little tarter on those buckteeth

Last edited by MFNATIK; 03-04-2021 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 12
jpy19801581.50
stein_325i25075.00
White3401392.00
irunalot1518.00
minn1914015.00
Tecnniqe4197.00
six75LT916.50
GrussGott18116.50
Arcades8162.00
GERMAN M34181.00
Jockey3445.00
      03-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #3435
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
I'm sorry, I believe you are mistaken. That is just a tarter on those buckteeth
Ha! made me almost spit out my coffee!
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3497.00
      03-04-2021, 02:08 PM   #3436
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunalot View Post
It's so very obvious that the influencers on YouTube are getting paid on some way. They are doing ALL on YouTube to get paid with subscribers sponsors etc. It's so damn obvious that they are trying to manipulate people as they are not as good at it as network TV. They all have the same narrative; the grill isn't that bad and then try to find something positive. Such the lights, smoked reflectors, carbon bits, or say wait to people mod it. Every one of them has uttered weight, size, and numbness. They will say nothing but good things as BMW is obviously doing "something" as they all say the exact same thing. If it was so freaking great you would not have to make excuses for its looks. It would be "forget the looks this thing is mega" etc… Instead, we are looking at smoked reflectors and the ramblings of idiot savant wanna be YouTube car reviewers on a test drive to the local Dennys.
I've ranted about this before but US FTC regulations require social media influencers to disclose sponsorships or considerations. So either they're not being paid at all (ahem), or they're violating the regs. Or maybe non-US based influencers don't think the FTC can or will touch them.
Appreciate 3
minn1914015.00
MFNATIK3497.00
irunalot1518.00
      03-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #3437
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I've ranted about this before but US FTC regulations require social media influencers to disclose sponsorships or considerations. So either they're not being paid at all (ahem), or they're violating the regs. Or maybe non-US based influencers don't think the FTC can or will touch them.
Yup, it's a hard standard to enforce because not all compensation is in money. Clicks, views, subs. It's not just BMW, but I've noticed this with a lot of companies varying across industries. It's just the "new" form of guerilla marketing. Producers of consumers good and content are benefitting extremely well from the lack of a cohesive standard of reporting - the advent of accessible media and switch from conventional news/journalism sources has allowed them to bypass independent third parties and really stack the deck in their favor as it relates to the information that is getting out. They're essentially grabbing power back from what used to be considered a trusted consumer information source. In an extremely oversimplified example, you won't catch C&D dead saying half the bullsh*t that is spewed by "influencers" about a car, its capabilities, and even its fundamental mechanics - that's what happens when you have to adhere to a minimum standard of reporting/journalism. The unfortunate result of all this, is the conventional third party sources that we would have relied on that maintain a decent standard of reporting are now getting drowned out and sufferings from lack of viewer/readership. I have so many thoughts and grievances with social media, its relationship to consumers, and how companies utilize it against consumer interests... but that's not the point of this thread. /EndRant
minn1914015.00
MFNATIK3497.00
irunalot1518.00
      03-04-2021, 03:27 PM   #3438
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
Interesting what they've done there...

The have highlighted the non-grille lines on the front end to make a pleasant and aggressive shape stand out that completely draws the eyes away from the nostrils. They have effectively disguised the hood "vents".

Then they have put a character line through the door handles where it should be.

They've done a similar job on the rear end.

I'd say that this is basically a 'high end makeup job' ... good for magazine photos, but you always know what's underneath.
You beat me to it. They essentially fixed all the design miscues. I would consider this the supermodel photoshoot. Reality of what you wake up next to is going to be different lol. I'd rather wake up next to the F80. Doesn't need makeup to look hot.
Well it does need some make-up, as does any car. Sometimes that make-up comes from the factory and sometimes it comes from the aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 03:51 PM   #3439
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Yup, it's a hard standard to enforce because not all compensation is in money. Clicks, views, subs. It's not just BMW, but I've noticed this with a lot of companies varying across industries. It's just the "new" form of guerilla marketing. Producers of consumers good and content are benefitting extremely well from the lack of a cohesive standard of reporting - the advent of accessible media and switch from conventional news/journalism sources has allowed them to bypass independent third parties and really stack the deck in their favor as it relates to the information that is getting out. They're essentially grabbing power back from what used to be considered a trusted consumer information source. In an extremely oversimplified example, you won't catch C&D dead saying half the bullsh*t that is spewed by "influencers" about a car, its capabilities, and even its fundamental mechanics - that's what happens when you have to adhere to a minimum standard of reporting/journalism. The unfortunate result of all this, is the conventional third party sources that we would have relied on that maintain a decent standard of reporting are now getting drowned out and sufferings from lack of viewer/readership. I have so many thoughts and grievances with social media, its relationship to consumers, and how companies utilize it against consumer interests... but that's not the point of this thread. /EndRant
I think what they're doing is basically a "collab or collaboration" with the influencer by providing the vehicle, tires, insurance, and delivery of said vehicle to the influencer so they have "first" access to get the likes and subscribers so YouTube can pay them and their videos get bumped up in the algorithm. Its equivalent to giving a foodie a paid meal to get a good Yelp review. It's no different than a corporate gift to clients to win their business. BMW surely writes this all of as marketing expenses.

In the age of COVID, this has replaced what was traditionally done at BMW driving events to drum up hype for new models by allowing public access to enthusiasts and fans of the brand. Though they did initially go this route, I think the fan base universally hated the G8x except for a handful of folks (I can count them on one hand on this thread), they turned to plan B which was get the cars to the influencers to shill it for them.

But you're totally right that they're spinning the story by preventing the professional media from speaking the truth and allowing only influencers who themselves have been influenced and are motivated by their own drive for generating likes and income, to get ahead of the true narrative. Which could be effective b/c you will get people who really only use IG and FB as their source of news and information to eat up every word. This is the same strategy that the film industry has recently switched to promote their movies via Rotten Tomatoes using "fake critics" with "fake reviews" to skew the movie's score to the positive end to get people to watch, or in this case, subscribe to HBO Max. I believe BMW has adopted this strategy, hence the embargo on real journalistic reviews, leaving us all so far with are influencer YT "fake" or hollow misleading reviews without driving impressions.

https://www.indiependent.co.uk/wonde...iased-or-fake/
Appreciate 3
RugbyBro7600.50
minn1914015.00
GrussGott18116.50
      03-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #3440
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange

[QUOTE=jpy1980;27302835]Ha! made me almost spit out my coffee![/QUO

I refer the front end as the Bucked Tooth Grille
      03-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #3441
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Here they come! Sigh. I'm sick and tired of these guys. Every single one I make sure I don't sub.

Quote:
I think what they're doing is basically a "collab or collaboration" with the influencer by providing the vehicle, tires, insurance, and delivery of said vehicle to the influencer so they have "first" access to get the likes and subscribers so YouTube can pay them and their videos get bumped up in the algorithm. Its equivalent to giving a foodie a paid meal to get a good Yelp review. It's no different than a corporate gift to clients to win their business. BMW surely writes this all of as marketing expenses.

In the age of COVID, this has replaced what was traditionally done at BMW driving events to drum up hype for new models by allowing public access to enthusiasts and fans of the brand. Though they did initially go this route, I think the fan base universally hated the G8x except for a handful of folks (I can count them on one hand on this thread), they turned to plan B which was get the cars to the influencers to shill it for them.

But you're totally right that they're spinning the story by preventing the professional media from speaking the truth and allowing only influencers who themselves have been influenced and are motivated by their own drive for generating likes and income, to get ahead of the true narrative. Which could be effective b/c you will get people who really only use IG and FB as their source of news and information to eat up every word. This is the same strategy that the film industry has recently switched to promote their movies via Rotten Tomatoes using "fake critics" with "fake reviews" to skew the movie's score to the positive end to get people to watch, or in this case, subscribe to HBO Max. I believe BMW has adopted this strategy, hence the embargo on real journalistic reviews, leaving us all so far with are influencer YT "fake" or hollow misleading reviews without driving impressions.

Attached Images

Appreciate 8
MFNATIK3497.00
stein_325i25075.00
RugbyBro7600.50
irunalot1518.00
minn1914015.00
jpy19801581.50
GERMAN M34181.00
      03-04-2021, 04:52 PM   #3442
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=mahalom3;27303557]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Ha! made me almost spit out my coffee![/QUO

I refer the front end as the Bucked Tooth Grille
That's funny but I call it BMW's biggest misstep in design direction in the last 100 years

This is way worse than the Bangle butt E65 or Auntie Edna eyeglass styled headlights on the E60
Appreciate 6
stein_325i25075.00
CT_M31478.00
RugbyBro7600.50
mahalom3163.00
Mavus2026.00
      03-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #3443
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post

Most of these "buyers" will dump their car within a 2 year period.

That's how these car influencers always do it. It is extremely rare they hold onto any car because it won't give them profit or anything past a certain date. I saw this guy who bought his dream car, a GT4 (hence why I saw the video lol) and within 4 month period, he sold it. His reasoning was that, because this was also a job, if the videos aren't generating enough profits, he has to get rid of it to do something new.

That is ALL these YouTube people do. It is almost universal at this point. So, any one of these yahoos saying that in their videos, I can promise those cars will be gone within a 2 year period or less. Especially once the real reviews from drivers that actually have a brain cell and know their cars like Chris Harris.

Influencers are the worst. Most are awful at lying, and rarely have anything beneficial/helpful to say if you, yourself, did any homework before hand. BMW finding these ppl to do their talking will backfire eventually because they aren't loyal. Once the hype dies off, they move on to another new thing. It is always the same cycle over and over.
RugbyBro7600.50
CT_M31478.00
MFNATIK3497.00
      03-04-2021, 05:57 PM   #3444
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post

Yuck! I thought we were over the gold fad already... Guess not.
Shahs of Sunset M3/M4.
People, gold anything on a car is ugly. Period!
The ONLY car it works on is a Pagani Zonda R.

Last edited by NSX2M4; 03-04-2021 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #3445
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
Here they come! Sigh. I'm sick and tired of these guys. Every single one I make sure I don't sub.

Quote:

Should be marked as "Cars for dummies by dummies".
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3497.00
      03-04-2021, 06:18 PM   #3446
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Most of these "buyers" will dump their car within a 2 year period.

That's how these car influencers always do it. It is extremely rare they hold onto any car because it won't give them profit or anything past a certain date. I saw this guy who bought his dream car, a GT4 (hence why I saw the video lol) and within 4 month period, he sold it. His reasoning was that, because this was also a job, if the videos aren't generating enough profits, he has to get rid of it to do something new.

That is ALL these YouTube people do. It is almost universal at this point. So, any one of these yahoos saying that in their videos, I can promise those cars will be gone within a 2 year period or less. Especially once the real reviews from drivers that actually have a brain cell and know their cars like Chris Harris.

Influencers are the worst. Most are awful at lying, and rarely have anything beneficial/helpful to say if you, yourself, did any homework before hand. BMW finding these ppl to do their talking will backfire eventually because they aren't loyal. Once the hype dies off, they move on to another new thing. It is always the same cycle over and over.
I have a feeling they are relying on the YouTube streaming income to pay for their "dream car" so once the views and likes go down, they gotta move onto the next hype car to keep people watching their crap.
Appreciate 4
irunalot1518.00
CT_M31478.00
Arcades8162.00
      03-04-2021, 06:42 PM   #3447
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Nothing wrong with gold on a car. My buddy has had a couple MB sprinters, one blue and one cement gray. Both he did gold emblems and badges and it's a subtle nice touch.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 07:07 PM   #3448
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

Manufacturers give them cars so they can get viewers, this makes them money. If a manufacturer does not like what you say you will get cut off. It happened to Chris Harris with Ferrari. As stated, its gorilla marketing done by unqualified reviewers. It's sad that BMW has resorted to this garbage. It's manipulative as they are trying their best to keep BMW happy and are not providing truthful reviews of a product.

You think that G80 was taken to AMMO because he's an awesome detailer? No, it's so they could expose it to his viewers. While doing so it also drives up his traffic. I personally love AMMO but can still see the manipulation.

I guess everyone is doing it now. You can avoid or hedge the bad reviews from real journalists with an overload of garbage opinions that eventually make the good journalists look like the loons.

Last edited by irunalot; 03-04-2021 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 3
CT_M31478.00
GrussGott18116.50
MFNATIK3497.00
      03-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #3449
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
highlighted the non-grille lines ... disguised the hood "vents" ... put a character line through the door handles where it should be.

They've done a similar job on the rear end.
Exactly! They've essentially added what should've been there and hid everything else - the other smart move is the asymmetrical hood/roof/trunk decal which pulls the eye from the center of the car to only focus on the left 1/3 top and the shoulder line.

Really good makeup job - clean and from a distance it undoes the clashing lines disaster.

Quote:

the supermodel photoshoot. Reality of what you wake up next to is going to be different

Last edited by GrussGott; 03-04-2021 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
MFNATIK3497.00
Darth One6612.50
      03-04-2021, 08:50 PM   #3450
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Another idea that struck me is body colored grills! I'm sure some enterprising after market company will offer it.

Lipstick on a pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Exactly! They've essentially added what should've been there and hid everything else - the other smart move is the asymmetrical hood/roof/trunk decal which pulls the eye from the center of the car to only focus on the left 1/3 top and the shoulder line.

Really good makeup job - clean and from a distance it undoes the clashing lines disaster.

Appreciate 1
      03-04-2021, 08:53 PM   #3451
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
Another idea that struck me is body colored grills! I'm sure some enterprising after market company will offer it.

Lipstick on a pig.
They kinda fixed the mirrors and side vent too:

Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3497.00
      03-04-2021, 08:57 PM   #3452
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Radar sensor still looks awful and hard to miss. The only way to make this car pretty is to redesign the whole front bumper, hood, and headlights.
      03-04-2021, 09:10 PM   #3453
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Radar sensor still looks awful and hard to miss. The only way to make this car pretty is to redesign the whole front bumper, hood, and headlights.
Whoa now. You forgot the fenders, front door, mirrors, rear door, rear quarter panel, trunk, rear bumper, taillights, and exhaust valence. The only thing they got right about the G8X is the interior and that's only bc a separate team designed it from the exterior.
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25075.00
irunalot1518.00
GrussGott18116.50
Mavus2026.00
      03-04-2021, 09:14 PM   #3454
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Whoa now. You forgot the fenders, front door, mirrors, rear door, rear quarter panel, trunk, rear bumper, taillights, and exhaust valence. The only thing they got right about the G8X is the interior and that's only bc a separate team designed it from the exterior.
True, a lot of items, with a new front bumper hood and headlights it would at least be passable though, main point is that even in all black with those manhart modifications, those three main design cues still stuck out like a sore thumb even on the "best" spec. No lipstick/makeup to fix this but rather deep cosmetic surgery.
MFNATIK3497.00
irunalot1518.00