Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

guide pins on stock calipers - better ways to secure

Hi Guys,

As you know the stock brake calipers use these 2 flimsy guide pins with a spring loaded plate to hold the pads in place.

I've noticed that these tend to get loose (pop out) over time which is concerning.

When I swap pads I use a small hammer to tap them back into place, but is there a better way to secure these guide pins in the calipers?

Thanks,
Steve
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:21 PM   #2
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Ive never had any get loose with repeated track use, in fact they’re sort of a pain to get out with the spring brackets.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
I've never had one come loose from the track either. The spring plate should also keep them locked in place. That's why they have the "thinner" section for the plate to index/catch on in the middle. You can try getting some new pins and seeing if they stay in better.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:12 AM   #4
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

I've also never had this issue.

Sorry for dumb question, but any chance you've got the retaining clip on backwards? I can't remember off top of my head if it's even possible for things to stay together that way, but I remember the first time I changed my own pads I was initially trying to put it back on the wrong way. I believe it's mainly the tension from this (in the correct position) that keeps the pins from moving, so if not, then would just get some new stock replacement parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:17 AM   #5
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
I've also never had this issue.

Sorry for dumb question, but any chance you've got the retaining clip on backwards? I can't remember off top of my head if it's even possible for things to stay together that way, but I remember the first time I changed my own pads I was initially trying to put it back on the wrong way. I believe it's mainly the tension from this (in the correct position) that keeps the pins from moving, so if not, then would just get some new stock replacement parts.
Doubt you would have any luck putting those in backwards as the shape of that configuration would make no sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:20 AM   #6
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Hi Guys,

As you know the stock brake calipers use these 2 flimsy guide pins with a spring loaded plate to hold the pads in place.

I've noticed that these tend to get loose (pop out) over time which is concerning.

When I swap pads I use a small hammer to tap them back into place, but is there a better way to secure these guide pins in the calipers?

Thanks,
Steve
I've done pad changes at least 30 times on the stock brakes, and my method is to put the spring clip in place at the top and slide the top pin all the way though guiding it correctly on the spring, then pressing the spring clip down on the bottom with my thumb or a flat blade screw driver and sliding the other pin through. Each pin will still be protruding at the back, so a few careful taps from a decently heavy hammer should get them almost flush at the back and peeking out at the front.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

well it happened again.. after a track day 2 pins from the passenger caliper popped out.

This is ridiculous.. I'm not sure what's going on but it's definitely a joke of a setup. You think BMW/Brembo could of came up with screw type guide pins instead of tapping stuff in with a hammer. This justs wears out the holes and makes the pins looser every time you changes pads.

Another reason to throw the stock brakes in the garbage and go with a proven BBK.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #8
m4forum
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

The work pretty well for me. I have a small plastic hammer to bit the pin and sure it gets in place. make sure the pin is not just positioned but actually gets into the final position by pressing it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 12:43 PM   #9
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Have you tried new pins and spring clips? The pins are notched so the spring clip should also prevent the pins from sliding out in the event that the spring band on the inner-caliper side isn't fully seated. Maybe you have very worn spring clips. I had no issues with the design at my track day this past weekend.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0