Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

10-15-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
Dangriffin87
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 80

bootmod 3 93, 91 and ACN 91 map knocking

Anyone running bm3 and checked their logs?

I done some pulls a few days ago as I heard a bit of a ping in high rpms. Since then I dropped the maps to stage 2 91 and still getting knocks, dropped to ACN 91 and still knocked. I am using BP ultimate 98 in Perth. PTF twlling me it's the fuel, but very suprised ot still knocking in the acn stage 2 map.

Anyone got any advice/similar experiences? PTF keep telling me its bad fuel use ACN 91 map and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 05:25 AM   #2
Dangriffin87
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner///M View Post
Replace plugs & coils. Go with NGK and gap 0.02

https://www.n54tuning.com/ngk-97506-...park-plug.html
have you had this happen and solved it? i think my pligs are colder plugs but gapped to 0.023. can you have a look at logs see what you think? if so send me you email address and I will send then to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 06:05 AM   #3
rokkuchan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Go back to stock map and you will find the stock map also knocks but in lower rpms or normal drive. If knock still in high rpm, then maybe bad batch of fuel? Add octane booster see if that solves.

It happens to me in all maps but I never encountered knocks in WOT in 3rd gear for stage 2 91 and 93. But I put it back to 91map just in case. Low rpm knocks I won't worry about and it exist in my stock map.

I'm running Ngk plugs at 0.025 gap.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 02:34 AM   #4
Dangriffin87
Private
Rep

about to go do some pulls with stock map, i have my plugs at 0.023, think maybe they need to go smaller and that might help. I have also got some boostane, so once i done stock gonna go fill up with different 98, do some pulls, then add boostane do some pulls.

Will let you know how I go.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 03:21 AM   #5
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Where did u buy the plugs from? There a lot of fakes out there that can cause issues.
      10-18-2020, 05:12 AM   #6
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Try and run a strong fuel cleaner like Liquimoly proline. I did that after changing plugs to oem plugs gapped to 0.022” and ignition coils as well. And have been running either Caltex or BP 98 Ron on stage 2 93 octane with no issues. The only times I get knocking is when I do sustained repeated WOT pulls which I believe you would need to get 5-7L of e85 thrown into the tank to ramp up your octane. The hotter the ambient temperature, the sooner the knocking comes on for me. That’s why if you are going to track your car using just straight 98 Ron using a 93 octane map, it is going to be knocking galore.

I had knocking On 93 octane map using all the big name 98 Ron fuels before I changed and gapped the plugs, changed the ignition coils, and ran proline liquimoly fuel cleaner.

Knock can occur from inadequaucy of either Air, fuel delivery and spark. So if your air filters are clean, spark plugs and ignition coils are healthy and suitable for the tune and you are still getting knock, then best to look into your fuel system. In which case, look at quality of your fuel and the Health of your fuel system (eg, pump, regulator, injectors etc etc)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 06:08 AM   #7
Dangriffin87
Private
Rep

i actually just put a can of liquimoly injector cleaner in today. Going to get some new plugs put in after thia tank is run through. how did you do the cleaner, I did 300ml to half a tank, which is double strength. someone actually recommended doong 1/4 tank and 3 bottles. Then like 3 or 4 pulls in 5th from 70 to 120. Then normal driving for a good while and repeat. Think this to open injectors fully.

So you sayin the 93 tune is fine for normal driving, but put some octane booster (e85 or some octane booster) in before a track day?

I will do some more pulls once I get new spark plugs, if it still doing it, going to do coils next. Then after that, start probably start looking more into parts issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 06:21 AM   #8
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangriffin87 View Post
i actually just put a can of liquimoly injector cleaner in today. Going to get some new plugs put in after thia tank is run through. how did you do the cleaner, I did 300ml to half a tank, which is double strength. someone actually recommended doong 1/4 tank and 3 bottles. Then like 3 or 4 pulls in 5th from 70 to 120. Then normal driving for a good while and repeat. Think this to open injectors fully.

So you sayin the 93 tune is fine for normal driving, but put some octane booster (e85 or some octane booster) in before a track day?

I will do some more pulls once I get new spark plugs, if it still doing it, going to do coils next. Then after that, start probably start looking more into parts issues.
I find the liquimoly injector cleaner that we get in Aus to be too weak in making a noticeable difference. Get the Proline liquimoly fuel cleaner from FCPeuro. I ordered a few bottles of these with a bunch of parts that I needed to save on shipping. All I did was run the proline cleaner on a full tank (60L) and then on the next refill of fuel, I changed the engine oil and filter.

And yes most definitely run e85 or some sort of octane booster on a track day on top of your 98 ron to raise your octane up. Its a huge no no to run straight 98 Ron on 93 octane map on a track day.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 07:21 AM   #9
Dangriffin87
Private
Rep

rest of the time its fine to run 98 on its own though?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 04:40 AM   #10
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
rest of the time its fine to run 98 on its own though?
Yes as long as octane is high to par, ignition and fuel system are healthy and clean and the air filters are clean.

I remember when I had my 335i on BMS DCI and running MHD stage 2+ tune and it kept getting cylinder super knocking codes even on 91 oct map using BP 98 with a few litres of e85. I thought it was the fuel quality or the OTS map was too aggressive for our aussie fuels however I later found out my BMS DCI filters were very dirty (was hard to see how dirty they were since they were coloured maroon). So I cleaned them and ran the same BP 98 with 2-3L of e85 on a 93 octane map and the codes never returned.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 10:26 PM   #11
Dangriffin87
Private
Rep

so pro tuning freaks told me to run acn 91, then they adjusted mid range timing slightly, which has fixed the high rpm knocks, but still getting lower down knocks at about 2000 rpm. they telling me this is ok and stock map does it...

absolutely lost at the minute, will try new plugs. if that doesnt resolve i have no idea what to do next.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:01 PM   #12
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Your plan of attack should be this:

1. Check air filter condition. If dirty, replace or clean.

2. Change spark plugs to NGK or OEM plugs gapped to 0.022”

3. Change ignition coils to Delphi OE

4. Run a strong fuel cleaner like liquimoly pro line

If you do all of the above and it still has knocks, then it looks like your fuel quality over in WA is not up to par and will need to add e85 to boost up octane to run the OTS map reliably
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:24 AM   #13
Dangriffin87
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
Your plan of attack should be this:

1. Check air filter condition. If dirty, replace or clean.

2. Change spark plugs to NGK or OEM plugs gapped to 0.022”

3. Change ignition coils to Delphi OE

4. Run a strong fuel cleaner like liquimoly pro line

If you do all of the above and it still has knocks, then it looks like your fuel quality over in WA is not up to par and will need to add e85 to boost up octane to run the OTS map reliably
here a copy of the latest log.

what your thoughts? Does this rule out any of the above?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #14
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Cannot see your log.

It's best to send the logs to Halim at PTF.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #15
Dangriffin87
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Cannot see your log.

It's best to send the logs to Halim at PTF.
I have, he keeps saying ita octane, but I am not convinced. To be honest, I have not really been too impressed with his support. As a solution from him, I am running a modified ACN 91 map. ACN is for terrible quality 95 RON. Even that knocked, so they adjusted midrange timing slightly. Which makes me thing it has to be something mechanical.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f97...0b430319a470c5
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 10:20 PM   #16
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have, he keeps saying ita octane, but I am not convinced. To be honest, I have not really been too impressed with his support. As a solution from him, I am running a modified ACN 91 map. ACN is for terrible quality 95 RON. Even that knocked, so they adjusted midrange timing slightly. Which makes me thing it has to be something mechanical.

He said that I needed more octane when I was running straight BP Ultimate on 93 octane map so i downgraded to a 91 octane map and the knocks didnt happen on the 91 octane map. But then I changed spark plugs (OEM sparks plugs were about 15k kms old at that time) and ignition coils to Delphi OE. I just changed with Bosch oem plugs gapped at 0.022". Tried the 93 octane map again and it still had timing corrections and knock so then I ran a full can of Liquimoly pro line fuel cleaner and then tried the 93 octane map again and the logs came back beautifully.

Try the steps that I did and see if it works for you. If not, then it looks like its more serious hardware weaknesses that you have OR the WA fuel octane is genuinely not up to par. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 03:42 AM   #17
Dangriffin87
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

He said that I needed more octane when I was running straight BP Ultimate on 93 octane map so i downgraded to a 91 octane map and the knocks didnt happen on the 91 octane map. But then I changed spark plugs (OEM sparks plugs were about 15k kms old at that time) and ignition coils to Delphi OE. I just changed with Bosch oem plugs gapped at 0.022". Tried the 93 octane map again and it still had timing corrections and knock so then I ran a full can of Liquimoly pro line fuel cleaner and then tried the 93 octane map again and the logs came back beautifully.

Try the steps that I did and see if it works for you. If not, then it looks like its more serious hardware weaknesses that you have OR the WA fuel octane is genuinely not up to par. Good luck
how much fuel did you put the liquimoly with? Can you post a link to the luquimoly stuff you used? Was it injector or fuel cleaner? I have just run a full bottle of normal injector cleaner in half a tank.

Who suggested doing the delphi coils?

That sound nearly the same as what is happening to me except the 91 and acn 91 have knocks. general feedback is BP fuel in WA is not bad. The refinery is 20km away....

I got another guy logging his same set up, so interested to see if he gets knocks. if he does, I have a bottle of boostane I am going to throw in and see if it gets rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 07:19 AM   #18
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
how much fuel did you put the liquimoly with? Can you post a link to the luquimoly stuff you used? Was it injector or fuel cleaner? I have just run a full bottle of normal injector cleaner in half a tank.

Who suggested doing the delphi coils?

That sound nearly the same as what is happening to me except the 91 and acn 91 have knocks. general feedback is BP fuel in WA is not bad. The refinery is 20km away....

I got another guy logging his same set up, so interested to see if he gets knocks. if he does, I have a bottle of boostane I am going to throw in and see if it gets rid of it.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/fue...ui-moly-lm2030

Run the tank almost dry till the range is (---) kms left. Add the pro-line fuel cleaner and then fill up full tank of fuel. Once that full tank of fuel has depleted, get the engine oil and filter changed.

Delphi makes the ignition coils for the S55 as they are the OE supplier. My car had 71k kms at that time and the ignition coils may have been getting tired so I decided to replace them and the 15k kms old spark plugs which were at factory gap. Might as well do both to save time and labour money

I am 90% certain that WA fuel's octane will be different to eastern states fuel's octane. For better or for worse, not too sure about that. But address the ignition components and run the proline fuel cleaner and then reassess
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 11:54 PM   #19
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

Wouldn't running e85 level the field for US vs Aus fuel? ~600whp achievable on stock turbos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85
Appreciate 0