R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-19-2020, 07:42 AM   #1
barnsdale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6MT AY

F82 to GLC43

Just pulled the trigger and sold my M4 after a couple years, I felt I had it done perfectly with the Alpine by Alex tune and Dinan exhaust along with a Bavsound upgrade.

Curious if anyone else has made the same move and what their thoughts were? I was daily driving the M4 and now I'm not, so I figured I would get something larger (always loved the higher seating of SUV) and I was starting to get annoyed with downtown city stop and go traffic with the 6MT.

We do tons of outdoor activities summer and winter plus have a larger dog, will post up a follow up for anyone that's interested...seems like there's been a few posts on if people regret giving up their M series but couldn't find anything specific to the GLC43.

I plan on tuning the GLC to give it some HP upgrades and probably do an exhaust mod same as the M4...not as many options that I can see out there compared to the F80 mods available.
Appreciate 1
dcpatters250.00
      10-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Yeah, I get the sentiment, but you are going to be disappointed. The Merc is nice and all, but it's not a real "AMG" like the GLC63 so it will feel like a numb soulless car. Also, not much more space than your average sedan indoors though it does have a higher ground clearance.

You'd have much more fun in an X3M40i. But if you want the practicality with the power and fun of the M4 your best bet is a X3M/X4M, and deals on those are really good right now. But nothing will really be the same or similar to an M4 in an SUV.

If you get the GLC43 after leaving an M4, you will 100% regret it, unless you aren't a car guy, then you won't care.

EDIT: to save those who will respond without reading below, and I can't believe I have to say this, but this is an opinion and I made clarifications below. Did not mean the above to be factual.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 3
omgf80205.50
euro*1657.50
      10-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
ChuMpion3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT (x2)

Drove the GLC63 the other weekend and loved it. It is very fun/fast and capable.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 09:39 AM   #4
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hope you got the GLC43 amg though.....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
If you get the GLC43 after leaving an M4, you will 100% regret it, unless you aren't a car guy, then you won't care.
Lol okay. Just because someone wants something a little more practical doesn’t make that person any less a “car guy”. My work requires having a four door for clients - doesn’t mean I’m less of a car guy than the next bloke.

OP I had a ‘18 Audi SQ5 for about 9 months. It was a great car but yes it was rather boring. I ended up trading it for my ‘18 M3 Comp DCT. I realized I’m just not a sports SUV guy. No matter even if it’s a X3M or GLC63 they will always be heavier and the higher center of gravity is always noticeable.

Honestly I would have kept my SQ5 if I had the luxury to own a sports car on the side. But for now I have to roll with one car that can do it all.
Appreciate 1
dcpatters250.00
      10-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #6
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
Quote:
Lol okay. Just because someone wants something a little more practical doesn't make that person any less a "car guy". My work requires having a four door for clients - doesn't mean I'm less of a car guy than the next bloke.

OP I had a '18 Audi SQ5 for about 9 months. It was a great car but yes it was rather boring. I ended up trading it for my '18 M3 Comp DCT. I realized I'm just not a sports SUV guy. No matter even if it's a X3M or GLC63 they will always be heavier and the higher center of gravity is always noticeable.

Honestly I would have kept my SQ5 if I had the luxury to own a sports car on the side. But for now I have to roll with one car that can do it all.
Woah, seems to have struck a nerve here.

Two quick things.

1. It's an opinion, funny how those can be different among different people.

2. Was not implying that he wasn't a car guy (or other SUV buyers aren't car guys - you seem to forgot to have read the cars in my signature below, but okay). But there are generally two types of M buyers on this forum. The kind who love M cars and love speed and love the emotion of driving (who I meant by my "car guys") but at the exclusion of all else, and those that can overlook that for a more practical car (who can still be a "car guy" like in my definition above but, again, can overlook it for practicality). My ultimate point was that if you fall into the latter category, you won't care and you will enjoy it. If you fall into the former category (which many of us do) you will regret it.

Bonus point, you literally made my point for me by switching to an M3 from (IN MY OPINION) a soulless SUV.

My ultimate point is that you never need more than a sedan or an estate car for 90% of life and 90% of people. For those that have unique situations, obviously an SUV make sense. But then again, I don't "need" an M either....

But like every opinion post I write about this car vs that car, I write a disclaimer (which of course I didn't do this time because I fell into a comfortable state with snipers on this forum thinking I won't get sniped for an opinion - should have known better) that a person should go test drive it and see if they like it. It's their car, their situation, their money - I gave my opinion but it's probably not a good take because I have my frame of reference. YMMV
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #7
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Yeah, I get the sentiment, but you are going to be disappointed. The Merc is nice and all, but it's not a real "AMG" like the GLC63 so it will feel like a numb soulless car. Also, not much more space than your average sedan indoors though it does have a higher ground clearance.

You'd have much more fun in an X3M40i. But if you want the practicality with the power and fun of the M4 your best bet is a X3M/X4M, and deals on those are really good right now. But nothing will really be the same or similar to an M4 in an SUV.

I didn't want to rain on his parade so I held off

Glad you did though

Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      10-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #8
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:

I didn't want to rain on his parade so I held off

Glad you did though

should have known better TBH. You'd think with my post count/rep count I would learn, but here I am, still pissing into a headwind and hoping I don't get wet.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 12:23 PM   #9
barnsdale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6MT AY

LOL - the concensus seems to be I'll regret it.

I went from a 135i 6MT with PPK upgrade and LOVED that car, it just handled so well and into the M4 which I upgraded alot and had alot of fun with but never really felt the steering was anything special even with the Alpine tune.

I also got 4 tickets in the M4 since owning it and my insurance tripled, another regret was not installing some sort of radar unit because I just got pulled over all the time (I once got a ticket for going 10km/h over the limit). So part of it, is just the thing seems like its a magnet because of the Austin Yellow colour....

The good news is that owning a car isn't forever and I'm going to venture into the sports SUV world and see how it is - maybe in a couple years I'll decide to get back into an M4 and if I do it over again I think I'll get a vert, something I've always wanted but never had.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:31 PM   #10
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsdale View Post

I went from a 135i 6MT with PPK upgrade and LOVED that car, it just handled so well and into the M4 which I upgraded alot and had alot of fun with but never really felt the steering was anything special even with the Alpine tune.

I also got 4 tickets in the M4 since owning it and my insurance tripled, another regret was not installing some sort of radar unit because I just got pulled over all the time (I once got a ticket for going 10km/h over the limit). So part of it, is just the thing seems like its a magnet because of the Austin Yellow colour....

The good news is that owning a car isn't forever and I'm going to venture into the sports SUV world and see how it is - maybe in a couple years I'll decide to get back into an M4 and if I do it over again I think I'll get a vert, something I've always wanted but never had.
All the best...

Get a lexsus SUV

It's slower and has the springs of a Bic Pen so you can't go fast
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 12:38 PM   #11
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:

EDIT: to save those who will respond without reading below, and I can't believe I have to say this, but this is an opinion and I made clarifications below. Did not mean the above to be factual.
It's still hilarious

Like my Buddy that went from a V8 Turbo X5 to a 4 cylinder Hyundai turbo

Says he like the Hyundai better

😂
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #12
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsdale View Post

The problem you will run into is unless your a beaver fan the next ///M4 looks like complete shit.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 04:12 PM   #13
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I'll just throw this in here.

There isn't anyone out there that can make a SUV drive like how an enthusiast would probably want it aside from Porsche. The GLC43 will be a nice daily for most but it will come no where close to a M4 if you are used to it. Remember, you are jumping from a proper M car to a baby AMG SUV. 43s are not real AMG, they are AMG tuned, kind of like M340i cars are M tuned. 63 are the ones with hand built engines from AMG engineers.

I know this has been kinda beaten to death but once you drive a Porsche, you would honestly understand. X3M Comp is extremely fast but it is completely dead from a driving experience standpoint. And as always, BMW completely over dampens the suspensions for no reason. I don't find it hard or too much but I keep seeing people whine about it. As I said in another thread, I choose the Macan GTS over the X3M Comp for a reason.

If only Porsche made a proper sedan like a M3 I would jump all over that too.
stein_325i25075.00
      10-19-2020, 07:11 PM   #14
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

I agree with Arcades if you can swing for the Porsche do it, the Macan is a hot hatch on stilts, or maybe even a GLC63 with the sweet V8.
      10-19-2020, 08:19 PM   #15
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
GLC63 is sluggish and such a half assed middle ground (not high enough to clear rough roads or fast enough to justify going from the excellent balance of F8x) that I would rather get a wagon.
      10-19-2020, 09:07 PM   #16
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post

There isn't anyone out there that can make a SUV drive like how an enthusiast would probably want it aside from Porsche. The GLC43 will be a nice daily for most but it will come no where close to a M4 if you are used to it. Remember, you are jumping from a proper M car to a baby AMG SUV. 43s are not real AMG, they are AMG tuned, kind of like M340i cars are M tuned. 63 are the ones with hand built engines from AMG engineers.

I know this has been kinda beaten to death but once you drive a Porsche, you would honestly understand. X3M Comp is extremely fast but it is completely dead from a driving experience standpoint. And as always, BMW completely over dampens the suspensions for no reason. I don't find it hard or too much but I keep seeing people whine about it. As I said in another thread, I choose the Macan GTS over the X3M Comp for a reason.

This is the right take if you have to get an SUV. Coming from an X4MC owner (wife's car).
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #17
Redacre
6 Cylinders 3 Ways
Rep
Drives: M5, 911, Macan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post

I picked up a Macan Turbo for my wife but honestly I drive it more than her now. I love it. Never owned a 4-door before in my life let alone an SUV. It's no replacement for the M4--it lacks the circus and attention that the M4 gets--but other than the car show weekends and track days I usually pick the Porsche keys up on my way out these days.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #18
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C43

I went from M4 to C43 (same engine and tranny as GLC43). I love the engine especially the sound but transmission is trash. There is a well known "rodeo effect" in lower gears when driven in S and S+. Also transmission sometimes gets too aggressive in Sport, and it's pretty much impossible to do Sports+ on streets. When test driving, make sure to put it in Sport+ and drive slowly in low gears (automatic mode, not manual) for extended amount of time. Modulate gas in Sport+ in low gears.

Having said all that, I LOVE the engine even though it is a watered down AMG.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25075.00
minn1914015.00
      10-20-2020, 11:54 AM   #19
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:

Sort of with you except for the much more fun in a X3M40i part. None of these SUVs do anything for me (I've driven just about all of them listed). But, I'd put the X3M40i on par with the GLC43. Both are nice/comfortable and quick in a straight line. But neither are involving in any way driving wise IMO.

Someone mentioned earlier the full on AMG/M products are better, but they are still top heavy SUVs with so so dynamics. As Arcades and others mention whenever this conversation comes up, if you want some fun dynamically in an SUV, I agree with them that Macan is pretty much the only way to go.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      10-20-2020, 11:58 AM   #20
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer pleaser V2 View Post
I went from M4 to C43 (same engine and tranny as GLC43). I love the engine especially the sound but transmission is trash. There is a well known "rodeo effect" in lower gears when driven in S and S+. Also transmission sometimes gets too aggressive in Sport, and it's pretty much impossible to do Sports+ on streets. When test driving, make sure to put it in Sport+ and drive slowly in low gears (automatic mode, not manual) for extended amount of time. Modulate gas in Sport+ in low gears.

Having said all that, I LOVE the engine even though it is a watered down AMG.
Agreed, I'm liking my wife's C63S a lot more than I thought I would. But, I agree on the transmission. It's the same in the 9 speed full on AMG tuning. I've learned to moderate most of it, but it does still happen here and there.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      10-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #21
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:

Sort of with you except for the much more fun in a X3M40i part. None of these SUVs do anything for me (I've driven just about all of them listed). But, I'd put the X3M40i on par with the GLC43. Both are nice/comfortable and quick in a straight line. But neither are involving in any way driving wise IMO.

Someone mentioned earlier the full on AMG/M products are better, but they are still top heavy SUVs with so so dynamics. As Arcades and others mention whenever this conversation comes up, if you want some fun dynamically in an SUV, I agree with them that Macan is pretty much the only way to go.
Good point on the X3M40i. I was trying to cut between GLC43 and what he is used to in a BMW product, but agree the X3MC or X4MC would be better (we have the latter). But all in all, if you can swing a Macan GTS/turbo, and need an SUV (though it doesn't have much more space than a sedan) that is the way to go.

Nice seeing your posts again bud. I'm back on here as I'm picking up an M3CS in a few weeks after some punk hit my M2C and ran.
Appreciate 1
minn1914015.00
      10-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #22
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Good point on the X3M40i. I was trying to cut between GLC43 and what he is used to in a BMW product, but agree the X3MC or X4MC would be better (we have the latter). But all in all, if you can swing a Macan GTS/turbo, and need an SUV (though it doesn't have much more space than a sedan) that is the way to go.

Nice seeing your posts again bud. I'm back on here as I'm picking up an M3CS in a few weeks after some punk hit my M2C and ran.
Sorry to hear about that, that sucks. I obviously hope everyone was ok.

But, I think you'll be really happy with the M3CS. Those are about the only cars that interest me BMW wise nowadays. Crossing my fingers BMW doesn't eff up the gen M2. Otherwise I'm looking in the future to try and get my hands on a lightly used manual M2C or M2CS possibly.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00