Lease SwApp
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

08-05-2018, 02:40 PM   #23
gatorfast
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy design View Post
Hmmm I thought the DWS seemed like a good option for me since I don't track my M3. The cost is about half for the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires versus buying the OEM Mich tires.
Depends what you are looking for in a tire. General traction and handling will be compromised on the dws vs the Michelin's but you will gain the ability to drive in snow and tread life should get better tread life.

FWIW I don't think you will find too many people on here willing to give up the performance benefit of the MPSS or similar tire in exchange for a bump in efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #24
Budget M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Depends what you are looking for in a tire. General traction and handling will be compromised on the dws vs the Michelin's but you will gain the ability to drive in snow and tread lore should get better tread life.

FWIW I don't think you will find too many people on here willing to give up the performance benefit of the MPSS or similar tire in exchange for a bump in efficiency.
It all depends on how you use the car. For daily driving duty, DWS is a decent enough balance. Just get another set of wheels and tires for when you want to drive it like the race car that it is....

BTW, my own experience with DWS in snow is that the are next to useless in anything more than slush. Temps below 32F make the rubber compound too hard for any real snow duty. Stopping distances were horrific in even slightly slick conditions.
'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
'17 ď30 JahreĒ M3 Macau w/ Fjord blue/black Individual interior
Appreciate 0