Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
Spun Crankhub
Brigadier General
634
Rep
3,805
Posts

Drives: Sakhir on Sakhir
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (44)

Anyone tried the Turner FTAB monoball?

Had the RE monoball ftab on my e9x m3, but saw that Turner has one for the f8x, so wanted to see if anyone has any experience with it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5934
Rep
7,425
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

I have the Bimmerworld version but i don't think there are big differences between the different types

Bottom line is the mod has no negatives and plenty of positives
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:24 PM   #3
MPoweRo
Captain
MPoweRo's Avatar
Australia
397
Rep
699
Posts

Drives: F82 M4 ZCP LCI2 M, G05 X5 40i
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bayside, Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

I have them. Tightens the feel through the wheel.
__________________

M4 Times (PSC2): Sandown: 1.21.76 Winton:
1M Times (PSC2):
Phillip Island: 1.53.09 Sandown: 1.24.03 Calder Park: 1.07.31 Winton: 1.36.71
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
137
Rep
351
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

As an alternative to a monoball, I’ve been looking at Rogue Engineerings polyurethane based bushing. I’m thinking it would reduce some of the harshness of a monoball, but still be a giant step up from the Oe bush.

Anyone tried the Rogue poly FTAB ?

Last edited by M2C AW; 10-08-2019 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 06:37 AM   #5
jacobe92
Major
jacobe92's Avatar
United_States
548
Rep
1,196
Posts

Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoChris View Post
Had the RE monoball ftab on my e9x m3, but saw that Turner has one for the f8x, so wanted to see if anyone has any experience with it. Thanks.
Greatly involves steering feel but makes a little humming cabin noise. If a little noise bothers you, then I suggest you shouldn't get it. I also have the Fallline Motorsports Rear Upper Control Arm Steel Bearing.
__________________
2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5934
Rep
7,425
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
and a related question....anyone DIY the monoball or poly bush install ?
Specifically, how difficult to remove and replace the thrust arm for bearing install on the f8x ? Other than some plastic bits for access (undertray, etc), any additional mechanical bits need to be removed for clearance / due to interference (coolant lines, struts, etc) ?
I've DIY'd it in the E90, E92 and F80CS

Nothing really strange to do. No coolant lines. You will want to unscrew the bottom bolts holding the front side intercoolers/radiators so that you can remove/install the long bolt that holds them

The only not so easy part is removing the old rubber bushing and inserting the new one
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #7
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
F80Speed77's Avatar
United_States
178
Rep
249
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
The only not so easy part is removing the old rubber bushing and inserting the new one
Guessing this is where the bearing press comes in? haha
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 11:01 PM   #8
Spun Crankhub
Brigadier General
634
Rep
3,805
Posts

Drives: Sakhir on Sakhir
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (44)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
Guessing this is where the bearing press comes in? haha
Iíve got the BMW bushing press tool, and also a bench top press from Harbor Freight, so I should be covered to remove OE install my RE mono.
Ive been in behind the wheel liner, and the only difference between F8X and E9X will be the coolers needing to be loosened to access the thrust arm bolts.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 06:50 AM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5934
Rep
7,425
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
Guessing this is where the bearing press comes in? haha
exactly! So if you have the right tools or just take them to a shop it's really really easy
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 06:50 AM   #10
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5934
Rep
7,425
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoChris View Post
Iíve got the BMW bushing press tool, and also a bench top press from Harbor Freight, so I should be covered to remove OE install my RE mono.
Ive been in behind the wheel liner, and the only difference between F8X and E9X will be the coolers needing to be loosened to access the thrust arm bolts.
exactly
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 03:01 AM   #11
Spun Crankhub
Brigadier General
634
Rep
3,805
Posts

Drives: Sakhir on Sakhir
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (44)

OE bushing pressed out with the 7880 tool like a hot knife through butter.
RE monoball going in tomorrow.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 11:09 PM   #12
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
371
Rep
438
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2c
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Any updates? Would you do it again?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 12:19 AM   #13
jpy1980
Major
jpy1980's Avatar
United_States
735
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe92 View Post
Greatly involves steering feel but makes a little humming cabin noise. If a little noise bothers you, then I suggest you shouldn't get it. I also have the Fallline Motorsports Rear Upper Control Arm Steel Bearing.
How does it improve steering feel? More impressions please. Does it get rid of some of the numbness?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 12:06 AM   #14
fanatic1
Lieutenant
fanatic1's Avatar
United_States
457
Rep
518
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4 CS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Encinitas/San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Plenty of time to look into these and found this on the M3 forums, gonna try the track/blue version, softer than monoball:

Rogue-Engineering-Front-Tension-Arm-Bushing

The monoball kit is really meant for a track/race car only, it would be way too much for a street car in terms of NVH. Although some people are okay with it. If you drive on the street at all, I recommend the street version of this upgraded bushings. The track version is still softer than the mono ball.

Harold (from HP Autosport)
__________________
19 M4 CS LRG MPE

Last edited by fanatic1; 03-24-2020 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 01:15 AM   #15
Spun Crankhub
Brigadier General
634
Rep
3,805
Posts

Drives: Sakhir on Sakhir
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (44)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
Plenty of time to look into these and found this on the M3 forums, gonna try the track/blue version, softer than monoball:

Rogue-Engineering-Front-Tension-Arm-Bushing

The monoball kit is really meant for a track/race car only, it would be way too much for a street car in terms of NVH. Although some people are okay with it. If you drive on the street at all, I recommend the street version of this upgraded bushings. The track version is still softer than the mono ball.

Harold (from HP Autosport)
I dont mind the monoball on the street, but I also dont drive my car everyday or put passengers in the car often.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST