Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #45
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANguru
the ability to handle repeated hard stops on the track and no brake dust make all the difference in the world. My Challenge Stradale and F430 both had Carbon Ceramics and they faired really well at the track. After 10+ track days in each car, I only had to change pads 2x. The F430 went through 40,000 miles of hard driving and when I sold it, the inspection showed about 70% rotor wear so unless you are ridiculously fast or hold a F1 super license, you want be wearing through them in the near future.
I don't have an F1 license , but I DO run more than 10 track days a year.

At the rate I run track events, Sorry that's prohibitively expensive.

The best option I see for these is a person who is leasing or trading their car every few years and That way you trade the car in before the brakes need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #46
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I don't suppose you'd know unless you've driven a similar F80 with steel rotors, but can you not feel the reduced unsprung weight?
No you won't notice the reduced unsprung weight at all. ceramics are only for lightening your wallet.
      04-21-2015, 07:35 AM   #47
marcielago
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: SG F10 550i MSport, CB E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg FEightytwo
I have them and don't regret it at all. Hre makes a set that fit with no spacers required but I like the aggressive look so I kept mine on. Each rotor cost about 2800 whole sale. They last till 160k rear and 106k front. Half that with track time. If you look up brembo gt kit ceramics they are 19,000 for just the fronts.. 8250 is a great price to upgrade.
Are u stating those numbers based on your experience? Those sound like good numbers actually
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 07:37 AM   #48
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg FEightytwo View Post
I have them and don't regret it at all. Hre makes a set that fit with no spacers required but I like the aggressive look so I kept mine on. Each rotor cost about 2800 whole sale. They last till 160k rear and 106k front. Half that with track time. If you look up brembo gt kit ceramics they are 19,000 for just the fronts.. 8250 is a great price to upgrade.
you got 50k miles of track time on your rotors? haha that would be amazing.

no the ceramics won't last nearly that long with track use at least not this type of construction.
      04-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #49
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-21-2015, 08:34 AM   #50
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT79 View Post
I posted this on page two. Replacement is no where near the 15k claimed as this package includes calipers and hardware.
      04-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #51
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Unrelated to the OP, but I don't mind suffering through the blue calipers and brake dust. BMW covers it for 4 years, so I'll let them do just that
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #52
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
No you won't notice the reduced unsprung weight at all. ceramics are only for lightening your wallet.
I don't know about that. I noticed the difference when I went from the lighter-weight Style 220M wheels to the slightly heavier Style 359M wheels on my E92M. And the delta between the steel and CCBs on the F80 is greater than the delta between those two wheels.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #53
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Hauling down my 997.2 Turbo S from 170 mph to 40 mph in a blink over and over on a 100+ deg track day was impressive. Not sure my StopTechs in my M3 would have been capable. But then again no BMW could have hit 170 on the straight. Nothing is worth more than the best tires and braking on a track.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #54
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

I find that next to impossible to believe. I know how many laps were done on the Nurburgring testing those. Was this a long race this guy was in? What tire was he using to generate so much tarmac grip? Could not have been a single day track session. Also, I wish they would stop being compared to Porsche or Ferrari CCB's, they are completely different in all aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
I'm scared to do it, I heard 12k wear from one track session? Is that not true? guy replaced them in f80 forums costed him 17k.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #55
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Boom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Hauling down my 997.2 Turbo S from 170 mph to 40 mph in a blink over and over on a 100+ deg track day was impressive. Not sure my StopTechs in my M3 would have been capable. But then again no BMW could have hit 170 on the straight. Nothing is worth more than the best tires and braking on a track.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #56
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

I have driven both back to back on track and you are not correct.

Quote:
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #57
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know about that. I noticed the difference when I went from the lighter-weight Style 220M wheels to the slightly heavier Style 359M wheels on my E92M. And the delta between the steel and CCBs on the F80 is greater than the delta between those two wheels.
owned and driven and tracked extensively GT3 RS with PCCB's for 4 years. driven steel rotors. driven steel and ceramic F8X on Spa and at the test track in spartanburgh. I can't tell. maybe you have more sensitive rear end than me though.

with lighter wheels i have been there and done that and swear up and down they feel lighter but its just a placebo. i thought same thing when i tried friends car with CCW's. swore it felt more freer and could accelerate easier then found out his wheels actually 3 lbs heavier per wheel than my cheapo ones. placebo.

Last edited by karussell; 04-21-2015 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #58
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
I have driven both back to back on track and you are not correct.
ok, show me where your lap time improved with ccb's. or show me where you have a faster time 0-whatever with only ccb's being the difference.

oem pads for ccb's are soft...very soft. its so they don't wear through the thin friction layer on the ccb's. i would burn through them in a weekend on a gp track.

you can feel the difference well thats good for you. i don't. only difference like i said was they cost more. no choices on pad compound unless you really want to burn up expensive rotors. they are fragile. drop a wheel on the rotor while changing and chip it gotta replace them. go off in kitty litter and they chip gotta replace them. mandatory in porsche super cup and every one of them hate using them. way more expensive to run that standard steels. they aren't even legal in GT3 or GT4 even in 24 hour race. steels hold up just fine and much more durable. no performance benefit otherwise teams that can afford $350K+ euro cars would run them. its certainly not too expensive for them.
      04-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #59
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
I don't understand why folks that do not hardcore track get these brakes in the first place. I'm sure the number of hardcore "dedicated track f8x M's" can be counted on one hand right now so why go with these? The technology is still pretty new for street cars, definitely would not consider it for my next M car
UNDERSTAND that you probably bought the wrong car...

What kind of mentality is that? Just cuz YOU cheaped out on brakes doesnt mean "you don't understand why people buy them! LMAO!!!!

The looks, lack of brake dust and stopping power are more than enough reasons for me to buy them....

I dont understand why cheap people have to bash on others.... Just cuz you didnt buy it doesnt make you superior and give you the right to talk down on the community (Your so-called non-hardcore drivers) lmfao dude this is ridiculous
      04-21-2015, 11:51 AM   #60
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
owned and driven and tracked extensively GT3 RS with PCCB's for 4 years. driven steel rotors. driven steel and ceramic F8X on Spa and at the test track in spartanburgh. I can't tell. maybe you have more sensitive rear end than me though.

with lighter wheels i have been there and done that and swear up and down they feel lighter but its just a placebo. i thought same thing when i tried friends car with CCW's. swore it felt more freer and could accelerate easier then found out his wheels actually 3 lbs heavier per wheel than my cheapo ones. placebo.
Maybe the difference in feel is diminished driving on a smooth track, but unsprung weight difference is noticeable in real-world street driving to me. When I felt it the most was going over speed bumps, hitting potholes, turning onto and off of driveways, doing slow-speed turns in a parking lot, etc. The slightly higher weight led to a slightly more harsh ride on uneven roads and a slightly heavier steering wheel.

I suppose it's ironic that CCBs are marketed as a track-oriented option when anecdotal evidence shows that they actually can't hold up to the rigors of tracking nor do they provide much, if any, improvement in feel and lap times while racing. Yet they're much more usable and noticeable on the street.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #61
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Why don't you just replace the rotor with a steel rotor and use the same caliper? There might not be a BMW option for this yet but I'm sure it's coming. Porsche guys have been doing this for years.
its a gamble. i did this myself as my ceramics were nearing the end of their usable life. I measured with digital calipers before and after every track weekend. btw they only lasted 10k miles with i would say not even 3k of it actually on track.

so i switched to PFC rotors and my first outing on the track I had the fastest lap time i ever had on the ring. going back to steels with proper endurance pads RS-29's was very confidence inspiring. however some people claimed that because the brake boost is lower on pccb when switching to steels you have abs become more sensitive. i thought I was getting into ABS more as well after the swap back to steel rotors. anyways it did not affect me but some swear it was very unsettling for them.

me personally I would not order another car with ceramics. too many limitations. no measurable benefit. just bling. this was all argued when i was considering ceramics and i still went for them. so to each their own. they certainly look good and on regular street driving the make less dust and will outlast steel rotors.

track is too much a compromise if you are serious. YMMV
      04-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #62
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
8G's?!!! What's it cost with labor?!!!!
One rotor costs $4200.

Front brake pad set costs $650.

DIY for front brake rotors: $9050

Definitely not the option you want outside of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #63
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You do realize that your wheel and tire alone is almost 50lbs. add in the control arm, hub, lug bolts, bearings etc probably over a 100lbs of unsprung weight. you telling me you notice a 4lb weight savings out of 100lbs per corner going over a pothole???

wouldn't just going to a 18" wheel with higher profile tires make more sense?

Quote:
Maybe the difference in feel is diminished driving on a smooth track, but unsprung weight difference is noticeable in real-world street driving to me. When I felt it the most was going over speed bumps, hitting potholes, turning onto and off of driveways, doing slow-speed turns in a parking lot, etc. The slightly higher weight led to a slightly more harsh ride on uneven roads and a slightly heavier steering wheel.

I suppose it's ironic that CCBs are marketed as a track-oriented option when anecdotal evidence shows that they actually can't hold up to the rigors of tracking nor do they provide much, if any, improvement in feel and lap times while racing. Yet they're much more usable and noticeable on the street.
      04-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #64
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder

Useless info above.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #65
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
8G's?!!! What's it cost with labor?!!!!
One rotor costs $4200.

Front brake pad set costs $650.

DIY for front brake rotors: $9050

Definitely not the option you want outside of warranty.
And you will never get BMW to pay for a set under warranty.

They will only replace pads when the pads are at the wear limits or when the CBS info says to.

They will only replace the rotors when the rotors are below minimum thickness and they will only do the rotors if the pads are worn down to replacement level at the same time.

Good luck trying to burn down pads and rotors together to get a full set replaced under warranty within 50k miles. ( ask me how I know ! )
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #66
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM4ZING
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
I don't understand why folks that do not hardcore track get these brakes in the first place. I'm sure the number of hardcore "dedicated track f8x M's" can be counted on one hand right now so why go with these? The technology is still pretty new for street cars, definitely would not consider it for my next M car
UNDERSTAND that you probably bought the wrong car...

What kind of mentality is that? Just cuz YOU cheaped out on brakes doesnt mean "you don't understand why people buy them! LMAO!!!!

The looks, lack of brake dust and stopping power are more than enough reasons for me to buy them....

I dont understand why cheap people have to bash on others.... Just cuz you didnt buy it doesnt make you superior and give you the right to talk down on the community (Your so-called non-hardcore drivers) lmfao dude this is ridiculous
I think your response was totally overboard.

Dude didn't bash at all. He simply said he can't understand why people that don't track their cars would buy CCB.. Just for the bling factor ? 8k on initial purchase is a lot to pay for less brake dust. ...

But hmmm. now that I think about it ... If you don't track your car....maybe he did call you a poseur...
Appreciate 1