Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-09-2015, 11:19 PM   #1
Stryder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Rocketship

Active Sound gone after latest software update?

RESOLVED

Quote:
This is pretty weird, but my 2016 F80's RTTI never worked properly since delivery. Then I found the thread about software update, so I had it done with my 1200 mile service.

After the update, I can say for sure that my ASD is gone.

I know a lot of people don't like ASD, but I actually enjoy it, so it's kind of weird that it disappeared with the software update.

Anyone else with recent software updates experiencing the same thing?
Follow-up:

Why did this happen?
This happened when the dealer updated the the software for a few different ECUs in the car. I don't know exactly which ECUs they touched, but ASD was one of them, and subsequently, ASD stopped functioning. The update applied was to fix the problem of ConnectedDrive/RTTI not working, here is a well documented thread on this problem with 2016s: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1169492

How do I get it to not happen to me?
If you can live with the ConnectedDrive/RTTI not working, then don't ask the dealer to touch your software, and you will be fine. In retrospect, not having RTTI was way less of a problem than a borked ASD ECU.

Oh no! This already happened to me. How do I fix it?
- The Simple Way:
Tell the dealer that the ASD ECU software is not functioning properly and requires a re-flash, and tell them to re-flash it. Your dealer may or may not be able to handle this without causing other issues.

- The Straight Forward Way:
Obtain coding cable and coding software, and re-flash the ASD ECU yourself. ONLY RE-FLASH THE ASD ECU. NOTHING ELSE. Here is a good thread on becoming familiar with the coding software and its processes: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1125375, meanwhile, here is another thread that deals with the specific procedures in flashing an ECU entirely, rather than re-coding it: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=694166, please read them thoroughly. Carelessness could end up wrecking your ECU.

- The Correct Way:
  1. Fire up Rheingold, connect to car, verify that ASD is throwing fault code of not being able to equalise.
  2. Clear fault code. Disconnect from car in Rheingold. Reconnect and verify that fault comes back.
  3. Disconnect and exit Rheingold.
  4. Turn off engine, turn off accessories. Connect battery charger.
  5. Turn car ON but do not start engine.
  6. Turn light switch to parking lights.
  7. Connect and open coding software.
  8. Follow guide posted above, and go through the steps to generate and be ready to execute TAL.
  9. Start and execute TAL.
  10. TAL execution should take no more than 2 minutes.
  11. Upon finishing, you might see warning messages for different modules in the car. This is normal.
  12. Reconnect and fire up Rheingold. Clear all fault codes.
  13. Cycle car. Drive. Verify behavior. Reconnect and verify no fault codes.
  14. VOILA!

You might run into quite a few different hiccups in the process above of not having the right file or not being able to generate the right file. That's normal. Feel free to ask questions.

Last edited by Stryder; 11-15-2015 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
PodDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i / 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder
This is pretty weird, but my 2016 F80's RTTI never worked properly since delivery. Then I found the thread about software update, so I had it done with my 1200 mile service.

After the update, I can say for sure that my ASD is gone.

I know a lot of people don't like ASD, but I actually enjoy it, so it's kind of weird that it disappeared with the software update.

Anyone else with recent software updates experiencing the same thing?
I think mine might be gone too. I also have had other issues with what feels like a loos of power. Trying to find others with similar problems.

Post 1200 mile breakin service car behavior http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1185119

I found someone else with the same problem as me, but they didnt mention the sound. I definitely notice a difference in mine. PM me if you want talk more about this. I have just been getting "nocebo effect" from everyone here.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
TillyM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 Xdrive

Garage List
2022 M4 Xdrive  [9.83]
2016 MINI JCW  [10.00]
yeah sound was lost too initially. that's how I first notice something felt strange after breakin..

afer few hundred miles and playing with sport/ sport+ , everything seems normal and no further issue.
Appreciate 2
      11-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Stryder
Private First Class
Rep

Well, just to confirm that I'm not totally out of my mind:

- Talked to dealer, they pulled the warranty sheet they submitted for the update, and confirmed that they updated the ASD module using ISPI NEXT. I don't think they chose to update ASD specifically, and just did it blanketed update for everything.

- Coded the car this morning, changed ASD module 3000 model range to F020/F021, *no sound difference*, so yeah, ASD was definitely off.

- Downgraded ASD module software *slightly*, since I was already on the latest software, but I downgraded from cafd_00000f9b-001_020_003 to cafd_00000f9b-001_020_002. Drove around a little, didn't notice too much of a difference, but there might have been a small one.

- Found a "Competition Paket" option, turned that on, I think that produced a small amount of difference on my way to work. Probably just placebo.

Don't have time to play with this more until later tonight, but there was a material difference from the software update in how ASD behaves. To many, this will be a welcomed change. To others like me, it's kind of annoying - I thought the sound engineers did a good job creating an aural experience. The car is loud on the outside, but pretty damn quiet on the inside without some "fake noises".

It's also possible that the ASD module needs to "relearn" after software changes and gets louder over time, or it's simply just the user becoming accustomed to the new reality.

Not a whole lot I can do at this point because I'm on the latest firmware and downgrade options are limited, if I can manage to find an older CAFD file for the ASD module that actually works with the latest firmware, then that might be something to try.

All in all, I hope these findings are helpful.
      11-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

^^ Good stuff Stryder.

Since you can't really "hear" the ASD (or at least I can't), I have a hard time deciding if I l like it or not. I guess the real option is to unplug it and see if I notice a difference.

FWIW, my car has a 10/2015 build date, but it might get a new ISTA/P when it hits the VDC?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
I thought the sound engineers did a good job creating an aural experience. The car is loud on the outside, but pretty damn quiet on the inside without some "fake noises".

Good and interesting finds. Like you, I enjoy ASD.....to me the added aural enhancement inside the cabin are welcome and enjoyable. It's too quiet otherwise.

Like boobs, fake or not, sometimes you just need something good to hold on (or listen) to

Their authenticity isn't THAT important to me

My European Delivery Thread

Last edited by Bluex; 11-12-2015 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 3
      11-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
jvo5319
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW F82

damn u guys got me worried. im 700 miles from break in service. hope it all works out. ill monitor this thread for sure
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

- Talked to dealer, they pulled the warranty sheet they submitted for the update, and confirmed that they updated the ASD module using ISPI NEXT. I don't think they chose to update ASD specifically, and just did it blanketed update for everything.

- Coded the car this morning, changed ASD module 3000 model range to F020/F021, *no sound difference*, so yeah, ASD was definitely off.

- Downgraded ASD module software *slightly*, since I was already on the latest software, but I downgraded from cafd_00000f9b-001_020_003 to cafd_00000f9b-001_020_002. Drove around a little, didn't notice too much of a difference, but there might have been a small one.

- Found a "Competition Paket" option, turned that on, I think that produced a small amount of difference on my way to work. Probably just placebo.

Don't have time to play with this more until later tonight, but there was a material difference from the software update in how ASD behaves. To many, this will be a welcomed change. To others like me, it's kind of annoying - I thought the sound engineers did a good job creating an aural experience. The car is loud on the outside, but pretty damn quiet on the inside without some "fake noises".

It's also possible that the ASD module needs to "relearn" after software changes and gets louder over time, or it's simply just the user becoming accustomed to the new reality.

Not a whole lot I can do at this point because I'm on the latest firmware and downgrade options are limited, if I can manage to find an older CAFD file for the ASD module that actually works with the latest firmware, then that might be something to try.

Competition Paket might be just a different MDM. Interesting that it was in there though
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 04:11 PM   #9
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:

So are you saying with the default F8x value for model range, it sounds to you like ASD is disabled/muted? If yes you are one lucky person Competition paket will end up disabling ASD if you don't have the right hardware. I have tried that in the past and it throws the same alarm in ISTA/D as when we set the model range to an incompatible value with the engine type.

I would find it odd that BMW will disable ASD in newer firmware updates. If you want and miss ASD, you can try diagnosing it with Rheingold.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #10
Stryder
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
So are you saying with the default F8x value for model range, it sounds to you like ASD is disabled/muted? If yes you are one lucky person Competition paket will end up disabling ASD if you don't have the right hardware. I have tried that in the past and it throws the same alarm in ISTA/D as when we set the model range to an incompatible value with the engine type.

I would find it odd that BMW will disable ASD in newer firmware updates. If you want and miss ASD, you can try diagnosing it with Rheingold.
Yep. Model F80, Engine S55B30. Same behavior as if model set to F20. Maybe there's a conflicting value somewhere in the system that's basically rendering the ASD module non-functional? That would explain pretty much everything.

My plan is to code things to F86 and S65TU tonight and see if the sound is *any* different. If not, then my ASD module itself is definitely not functioning properly.

Do you know where I can find a legitimate copy of Rheingold? TIA.

Last edited by Stryder; 11-11-2015 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
Stryder
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvo5319 View Post
damn u guys got me worried. im 700 miles from break in service. hope it all works out. ill monitor this thread for sure
They have no reason to update your software unless something is broken for you. In my case, my traffic info and BmwConnected weren't working. In reality they only needed to reset the online services module to get everything working again, but the technician just went ahead and applied an update. Not gonna lie, the thought of that still kind of irks me a bit, but I understand that to many technicians, this is just a job like any other.

The break-in service doesn't touch the software.
      11-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #12
Stryder
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
^^ Good stuff Stryder.

Since you can't really "hear" the ASD (or at least I can't), I have a hard time deciding if I l like it or not. I guess the real option is to unplug it and see if I notice a difference.

FWIW, my car has a 10/2015 build date, but it might get a new ISTA/P when it hits the VDC?
I don't see a reason for VDC to touch your software.
      11-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #13
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
if you'd like, PM or post your ASD cafd and i can compare it to mine CAFD_00000F9B_001_017_001.ncd
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #14
Stryder
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
if you'd like, PM or post your ASD cafd and i can compare it to mine CAFD_00000F9B_001_017_001.ncd
Sounds good to me! I'll do that tonight.
      11-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #15
PodDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i / 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvo5319 View Post
They have no reason to update your software unless something is broken for you. In my case, my traffic info and BmwConnected weren't working. In reality they only needed to reset the online services module to get everything working again, but the technician just went ahead and applied an update. Not gonna lie, the thought of that still kind of irks me a bit, but I understand that to many technicians, this is just a job like any other.

The break-in service doesn't touch the software.
This is the same reason i brought mine in and have the same problems you are having, but i also have a loss of power. I wish i never noticed the missing connected drive options.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #16
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodDoc View Post
This is the same reason i brought mine in and have the same problems you are having, but i also have a loss of power. I wish i never noticed the missing connected drive options.
Unless it's manditory, and even then I'd put up a fight, I would never ask for a software update changing what came in from off the line out of Germany. Went through enough of it and learned a lot from my previous experience with my N54 and sw changes. Never again!
      11-12-2015, 02:37 AM   #17
Stryder
Private First Class
Rep

Another data point:

Quickly coded the car to F86/S63B44, *zero* sound difference. My ASD module is basically non-functional.

Tired. Must sleep. Didn't have enough time to figure out how to save my cafd to ncd. Take care of that later.
      11-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #18
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
... Didn't have enough time to figure out how to save my cafd to ncd. Take care of that later.
here's how, it is recommended to save original FA, SVT, CAFD before any coding... you probably have the ASD saved without knowing ;-)
- click on "Read SVT" button.
- Right click on each green CAFD and click on "Read Coding data".
- files will be saved in your C:\Data\CAF dir

Once you get the "other" software installed, do the following:
- check the faults that you may have, given that you have changed some of the ASD params, you will have the following fault from ASD ECU (8053A5 ASD:Invalid coding data for equalising
- ensure that your ASD is coded back to stock defaults (Esys)
- clear ASD ECU faults
- drive, restart car, ... then check if you have still have any faults
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #19
Stryder
Private First Class
Rep

Update:

By this morning I hadn't had my own software properly set up yet to do diagnosis, so I stuck to my dealer appointment and had them take another look.

What they found was that the ASD module was not responding to the test plan, and their conclusion was that the ASD module must be bad. They've put in an order for replacement and also sent the test plan results to BMW eng.

Without having ran the test plan myself, my intuition says that it's unlikely that the update somehow completely fried the module itself, and it's more likely that there's corrupt data and/or bad code that is crashing the unit hence rendering it unresponsive, and that this might be related to the update which fixes RTTI (fix one bug, introduce another type of deal), but I am really just spit-balling by this point.

Going to try and run some diagnostics myself as next step.
      11-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #20
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
hi, check the diff between your file and mine, not sure how critical "construction stage" is, but yours is set to werte "06", unknown ? for fun, try setting that to my value werte 03 ?

and you could alway VO code the ASD ECU to bring back to stock if there was some coding/firmware update corruption, i think but unsure !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #21
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad
hi, check the diff between your file and mine, not sure how critical "construction stage" is, but yours is set to werte "06", unknown ? for fun, try setting that to my value werte 03 ?

and you could alway VO code the ASD ECU to bring back to stock if there was some coding/firmware update corruption.
I tried werte 03 and 06 today. No difference. Mine was 03 - and I got the same problem as you guys, since they updated the connected drive module.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #22
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
I tried werte 03 and 06 today. No difference. Mine was 03 - and I got the same problem as you guys, since they updated the connected drive module.
Just for the record, I coded mine off since I got my car just trying to help here. Stryder should be equipped by now with diagnostic software and maybe he may discover something or not...
Appreciate 0