Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-05-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
mangojuice
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 F83

Autocross classification

Running the M4 this year at local autocross wanted to make sure I got the right class based on mods, I’m thinking maybe street prepared but don’t mind maybe doing street modified as catch all since I’m not 100% sure:

- full exhaust including DP
- camber plates
- coilovers
- tune (can tune back to stock if need be)
- aftermarket 18” wheels that run 275 (front), 295 (rear)
- misc aero parts: front lip splitter, side skirt extensions, rear diffuser, lip spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 06:16 AM   #2
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Here are your options

STU - You would need to take rear tire size down to a 285 since that is the current max width and you would also need to be on a 200TW tire. As long as your misc aero parts are factory like you can run them here too. The car is only legal for local events currently in this class aka you can't run it here at SCCA National Tour Events. That may change in 2020 maybe. I would really recommend getting it to fit this class.

ASP - You can definitely run it here too and Hoosiers are allowed.

SM - Same deal

Also SCCA National office created a new XSA and XSB class this year which is an essentially open rule set but on 200TW.
Appreciate 1
NYG10738.00
      06-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

I'm going to echo the above comment,

f8x are not currently classed in STU, only e9x and e46. However, there is a rule change proposal out for comment currently on this with SCCA but would not go into effect until the following year.
However, most locals should be fine with it. I believe there are a few who do this in Colorado region events. OP, ask the local registration chair and other attendees in the class if they are fine with running in their class, mods are pretty much all class-legal outside of the aero bits, but I wouldn't worry about taking those off unless you run a national event or if they are factory parts.

ASP, not competitive unless OP wants to run Hoosiers.

XSA would be where it would really fit at this time, but PAX is super difficult so just don't go in expecting to do super well pax-wise. If you're a novice, go and just have fun!

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 07:41 PM   #4
mangojuice
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 F83

Not running competitively but just for fun to get a handle on how far I can push it... wanted to see what class I fit with current mods not other way around
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #5
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangojuice View Post
Running the M4 this year at local autocross wanted to make sure I got the right class based on mods, I’m thinking maybe street prepared but don’t mind maybe doing street modified as catch all since I’m not 100% sure:

- full exhaust including DP
- camber plates
- coilovers
- tune (can tune back to stock if need be)
- aftermarket 18” wheels that run 275 (front), 295 (rear)
- misc aero parts: front lip splitter, side skirt extensions, rear diffuser, lip spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
Here are your options

STU - You would need to take rear tire size down to a 285 since that is the current max width and you would also need to be on a 200TW tire. As long as your misc aero parts are factory like you can run them here too. The car is only legal for local events currently in this class aka you can't run it here at SCCA National Tour Events. That may change in 2020 maybe. I would really recommend getting it to fit this class.

ASP - You can definitely run it here too and Hoosiers are allowed.

SM - Same deal

Also SCCA National office created a new XSA and XSB class this year which is an essentially open rule set but on 200TW.
Run OEM size A052 (255/40/18 F + 275/40/18 R) and run STU. That's your best option I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #6
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
I'm going to echo the above comment,

f8x are not currently classed in STU, only e9x and e46. However, there is a rule change proposal out for comment currently on this with SCCA but would not go into effect until the following year.
However, most locals should be fine with it. I believe there are a few who do this in Colorado region events. OP, ask the local registration chair and other attendees in the class if they are fine with running in their class, mods are pretty much all class-legal outside of the aero bits, but I wouldn't worry about taking those off unless you run a national event or if they are factory parts.

ASP, not competitive unless OP wants to run Hoosiers.

XSA would be where it would really fit at this time, but PAX is super difficult so just don't go in expecting to do super well pax-wise. If you're a novice, go and just have fun!

Calculator racer!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post

Calculator racer!
LOL just calling it like it is!
Have a few friends that run XSA cause their cars are really TT cars or whatever and they just autox to brush up in their car control skills, and it sucks to see them nearly raw-time everyone and still end up like 20th in the overall results

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Looks more and more like the F80/82/87 are getting added to STU next year and there might be allowances for things like charge pipes, TCU tunes, and wider tires (295's) too.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 12:18 PM   #9
Ummpwr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 1Le

Does anyone know if F82s are now legal in STU?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 03:18 PM   #10
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummpwr View Post
Does anyone know if F82s are now legal in STU?
Sst I think. New class this year.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 06:57 PM   #11
Ummpwr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 1Le

dang SST has a much harder pax than STU. Seems like if you are on 200tw tires its BS to SST or XSA?

Thanks, Eric
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 07:15 PM   #12
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummpwr View Post
dang SST has a much harder pax than STU. Seems like if you are on 200tw tires its BS to SST or XSA?

Thanks, Eric
Yah, I don't think it'll be competitive in SST. I wish you could just stick with the tire restrictions in stu.
Appreciate 0