proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-06-2019, 09:04 AM   #45
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post
Oh yeah, what are their specific problems? Do tell.
I mean, I can tell by your signature that this is a pretty sensitive issue for you but this is akin to being shocked that the earth isn't flat or Maseratis are unreliable. This is Alfa Romeo we're talking about. I can get more details if you really want to but something tells me you'll reject them and blame the driver/wizard/donald trump or something else for something the car is infamous for.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #46
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Maybe as I don’t know their economics. But the dealer I showed you has only sold 4 QVs since I almost bought one last August. They currently have 5 left over 18s at big discounts and still can’t sell them with zero 19s in stock. They also have 2 regular Giulias and 8 leftover 18 Stelio’s at huge discounts and they are still sitting. This is between 1/3 to 1/2 of their current inventory. The Minneapolis/St.Paul market isn’t So Cal obviously or other gigantic markets like that. But, there are far more markets in the US that size and not So Cal size.

Any way, I don’t know how long a dealer can keep the lights on with sales like that or how willing FCA is to pour money into them to keep them afloat. Like I said, I have no idea about their business plan, but I do know there is know dealer that can go through 5 years of very slow sales like that much less ten.
I mean, granted the Stelvio I see are still extremely few and are the only ones in my area (still) they have been slightly more than previously but that is also (I'm sure) is due to the fact that they are able to be purchased at a heavy discount. I'm sure right now if I waltz in and am legit interested in a Giulia QV, I can push the price down further if they see I'm serious. Which... the price is interesting but I still prefer the Audi/Benz. I just don't like the current dealership support or lack of it.

The main AR dealership that I know of, now that Rusnak Pasadena seemed to just give up on the brand or something (not sure), which is Glendale Alfa Romeo still has 2018 6 Giulia QV and 8 Stelivo QVs on the lot. Of course there are other AR dealerships here but the rest are all smaller by a good margin, no where near the size of Rusnak and just by looking there are other 2018s out there you can find easily here in SoCal.

The problem is, again how FCA pushed AR as a brand from the get go. Shoving them with Fiat or Maserati due to costs, is an extremely lazy way of pushing a brand. No one near my age (millennials) which are the ones that should be purchasing these cars, now a days buy cars based on the badge. Which is the main problem also plaguing Jaguar. FCA will need to change their entire strategy with AR. If you don't appeal or find a way to get the maturing generation to buy your cars, then you won't get anywhere in the States. Sadly, FCA does a horrible job at this with a lot of their brands. Maserati, from what I read, tanked hard past year and of course Fiat and Chrysler are... well Fiat and Chrysler.

Last edited by Arcades; 05-06-2019 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:09 PM   #47
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I mean, I can tell by your signature that this is a pretty sensitive issue for you but this is akin to being shocked that the earth isn't flat or Maseratis are unreliable. This is Alfa Romeo we're talking about. I can get more details if you really want to but something tells me you'll reject them and blame the driver/wizard/donald trump or something else for something the car is infamous for.
Hey, have had no problems with any of mine, so that’s all that really matters to me. With that said, I think people tend to believe anecdotes over actual reality, but apparently ignorance is bliss, so who am I to convince them otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:37 PM   #48
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=minn19;24749655]It is kind of odd that you say this right after talking about the crazy deals you just got. And almost sold the 18s into May with a market like that is crazy.

Well, the crazy deals I had gotten were in January (Stelvio Ti Sport) and February (Stelvio QV), and almost all 2018 inventory is gone from my local dealership, as well as at the dealership that closed (inventory now at Infiniti). On my Stelvio QV, I started negotiating with the now closed Alfa dealer just prior to their closing date, but bought it a few days later as a “used” (new) car from their infiniti dealership next door for $3,000 less than if I had purchased from their Alfa showroom.

I bought my 2018 4C Spider used with only 635 miles on the clock from a doctor who is moving back to Europe in 2 weeks, so that was an extremely good price on a loaded car that was only driven about 5-6 times in total. The seller was in training as an orthopedic surgeon, so definitely did not get much seat time. Was kind of a “barn find” with a months worth of dust on the paint and a dead battery, but it looks like this now after a good paint correction, Xpel, and ceramic paint protection. Car only got registered today after a 4 week wait for the title.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
minn1914010.50
      05-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #49
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey, have had no problems with any of mine, so that’s all that really matters to me. With that said, I think people tend to believe anecdotes over actual reality, but apparently ignorance is bliss, so who am I to convince them otherwise.
I'm glad you don't have any problems with yours because they're incredible cars. I hope you didn't interpret what I wrote as me saying that the cars are anything but spectacular.
Appreciate 2
minn1914010.50
mcc3456332.00
      05-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #50
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I'm glad you don't have any problems with yours because they're incredible cars. I hope you didn't interpret what I wrote as me saying that the cars are anything but spectacular.
No worries, I get it. I’m not here to defend Alfa to the death, only share my experience and question the accuracy or context of the C&D story. It just doesn’t jive with my experience or that of many other Quadrifoglio owners I know. Not saying the cars are perfect and do not doubt that some people have had a few issues. With that said, I do know that these cars are very sensitive to low voltage from not properly charged batteries. Most folks are seeking the best deal when buying, but those are often the cars that have sat unused on the dealership lot for about a year. When I bought mine, I put them on a Ctek battery charger and have not had a single warning light tripped. I know other folks who got a warning light the first week they had the car, then went on a long business trip and miraculously never had the issue again, even after 20-30k miles on the vehicle. I guess my point is, when people go into ownership expecting an issue, then freaking out over a minor thing, it just perpetuates a negative stigma, that for the majority of owners, just doesn’t exist in reality...and because of that, these cars are an absolute bargain with the limited time discounts. Lastly, because the 4C I bought had only been driven 635 miles, I just had the oil changed this morning. Had a 2019 base Giulia for a few hours and even those are a blast to drive. Very quick and responsive for a 4 Cylinder engine. Anyway, thanks for the message. I always appreciate car guys who are open-minded to lots of brands. I’ve owned multiple Porsches, BMWs, AMGs, Mercedes, and Audis, and to this day remain agnostic, and always eager to try out the next great thing that hits the market.
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      05-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #51
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No worries, I get it. I’m not here to defend Alfa to the death, only share my experience and question the accuracy or context of the C&D story. It just doesn’t jive with my experience or that of many other Quadrifoglio owners I know. Not saying the cars are perfect and do not doubt that some people have had a few issues. With that said, I do know that these cars are very sensitive to low voltage from not properly charged batteries. Most folks are seeking the best deal when buying, but those are often the cars that have sat unused on the dealership lot for about a year. When I bought mine, I put them on a Ctek battery charger and have not had a single warning light tripped. I know other folks who got a warning light the first week they had the car, then went on a long business trip and miraculously never had the issue again, even after 20-30k miles on the vehicle. I guess my point is, when people go into ownership expecting an issue, then freaking out over a minor thing, it just perpetuates a negative stigma, that for the majority of owners, just doesn’t exist in reality...and because of that, these cars are an absolute bargain with the limited time discounts. Lastly, because the 4C I bought had only been driven 635 miles, I just had the oil changed this morning. Had a 2019 base Giulia for a few hours and even those are a blast to drive. Very quick and responsive for a 4 Cylinder engine. Anyway, thanks for the message. I always appreciate car guys who are open-minded to lots of brands. I’ve owned multiple Porsches, BMWs, AMGs, Mercedes, and Audis, and to this day remain agnostic, and always eager to try out the next great thing that hits the market.
I wouldn't race your quattroformaggio that's for sure.

I love driving in the Giulia4 and the 4C is one of the sexiest cars ever but I've never been inside of one. If you've got no maintenance issues then you must be a very happy man, you've got a sick garage!
Appreciate 1
mcc3456332.00
      05-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #52
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I’m not here to defend Alfa to the death.

Now that one's funny

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 3
minn1914010.50
Arcades8157.50
dkhm31880.50
      05-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #53
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

Now that one's funny
Pot, meet Kettle.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 04:26 PM   #54
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Im at 41k miles and my m3 has been rock solid reliable and damn good fun. I highly recommend it to everyone.

knock on wood.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S

Last edited by dkhm3; 05-07-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 06:52 PM   #55
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Pot, meet Kettle.
Why? Because I troll Alfa forums vaunting my perceived perfection and faultlessness of the M3/4? Yeah, right

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 4
smiff57.50
Powerslide1096.50
minn1914010.50
SYT_Shadow11462.00
      05-07-2019, 07:10 PM   #56
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Why? Because I troll Alfa forums vaunting my perceived perfection and faultlessness of the M3/4? Yeah, right
Clearly BMW is awesome. Besides the multiple Porsche trolls we now have an Alfa troll as well? Wow!

Why don't people just go to the forums of 'their' cars and give everyone else a break? It must be a sad life to spend time trolling M forums.
Appreciate 0