BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

TrackTec Camber Lockout Kit Review / DIY Video

Hey F80 Bimmerpost!

I just finished installing the TrackTec Camber Lockout kit on my PureTurbos M2. This kit is meant to replace the OEM rear eccentric camber bolt with a new bolt and new shims for the F8X chassis - M2/3/4! The shims come in five different offsets which allow for up to nine different camber positions and essentially lock out the ability for the OE camber bolt to spin and throw off your alignment on those days where you're pushing the car hard around the track, or even if you're just a weekend warrior doing some canyon carving.

I installed the kit about two months ago and have been running it on my 530wHP N55 M2 since then - I've done quite a few track days and this kit has been wonderful. When I installed the kit I actually noticed my previous alignment was actually off from when I had it aligned last. I've attached a picture of the OE camber bolt. When I got my last alignment done the tech put a blue paint mark to match where the OE bolt was on the control arm so if I ever did work to the car back there and had to remove that bolt, I could throw the bolt back in and have it back within the alignment specs. Line up the paint mark and my camber was set to where it was previously. Turns out after a couple track days here and there, the bolt did in fact move and my camber alignment was off and probably threw my toe off too causing accelerated tire wear.

Just going to let you guys know that I did have a hand in the design of this kit, and I was involved in the testing of the kit - I would just like to do a review of the product as unbiased as possible and let you guys know of this DIY video the guys over at TrackTec did. Enjoy the video!

Last edited by Endeav; 08-18-2020 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
FaRKle!4006.50
DRLane3982.50
      08-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #2
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
Hey F80 Bimmerpost!

I just finished installing the TrackTec Camber Lockout kit on my PureTurbos M2. This kit is meant to replace the OEM rear eccentric camber bolt with a new bolt and new shims for the F8X chassis - M2/3/4! The shims come in five different offsets which allow for up to nine different camber positions and essentially lock out the ability for the OE camber bolt to spin and throw off your alignment on those days where you're pushing the car hard around the track, or even if you're just a weekend warrior doing some canyon carving.

I installed the kit about two months ago and have been running it on my 530wHP N55 M2 since then - I've done quite a few track days and this kit has been wonderful. When I installed the kit I actually noticed my previous alignment was actually off from when I had it aligned last. I've attached a picture of the OE camber bolt. When I got my last alignment done the tech put a blue paint mark to match where the OE bolt was on the control arm so if I ever did work to the car back there and had to remove that bolt, I could throw the bolt back in and have it back within the alignment specs. Line up the paint mark and my camber was set to where it was previously. Turns out after a couple track days here and there, the bolt did in fact move and my camber alignment was off and probably threw my toe off too causing accelerated tire wear.

Just going to let you guys know that I did have a hand in the design of this kit, and I was involved in the testing of the kit - I would just like to do a review of the product as unbiased as possible and let you guys know of this DIY video the guys over at TrackTec did. Enjoy the video!
I have this same system from a different brand, might be from the same source.

Every time I went to the alignment shop, things were different/moving around and driving me nuts. Since installing this, toe arms and at the front, tension/thrust arm bearings, things have finally settled down.

Maxed out with 4mm spacers at -2.1°, which for me is perfect.
Appreciate 2
Endeav388.50
DRLane3982.50
      08-19-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
I have this same system from a different brand, might be from the same source.

Every time I went to the alignment shop, things were different/moving around and driving me nuts. Since installing this, toe arms and at the front, tension/thrust arm bearings, things have finally settled down.

Maxed out with 4mm spacers at -2.1°, which for me is perfect.
Exact same issue myself and a buddy with an M4 were having. Spec's were always being thrown out. We both installed this kit and did a few track days and went back to the alignment shop just to see... spec's were bang on and unchanged as far as rear camber goes!

I imagine with actual locking rear toe arms etc. that you've done you'd no longer have to worry about alignment spec's changing drastically due to spirited driving!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
Exact same issue myself and a buddy with an M4 were having. Spec's were always being thrown out. We both installed this kit and did a few track days and went back to the alignment shop just to see... spec's were bang on and unchanged as far as rear camber goes!

I imagine with actual locking rear toe arms etc. that you've done you'd no longer have to worry about alignment spec's changing drastically due to spirited driving!
Spirited driving or this
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      08-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Thanks for posting up the DIY on this, going to have to get a set since after one track day at Laguna Seca mine slipped 0.4 deg.
Appreciate 2
Endeav388.50
fanatic11018.50
      08-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #6
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Gonna get a set soon! Thanks for the DIY video!
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      08-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #7
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvq View Post
Thanks for posting up the DIY on this, going to have to get a set since after one track day at Laguna Seca mine slipped 0.4 deg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
Gonna get a set soon! Thanks for the DIY video!
Glad you guys like the video. You're going to love their product.

Track Tec is going to be doing a bunch more videos like this in the future for a lot of the products us BMW owners love to run - CTS Turbo, CSF, PureTurbos, etc. I'll be sure to post more DIY videos on the forum!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 07:06 PM   #8
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Installed my kit today, everything went smoothly. I’ve seen these kits before but the video really outlined how easy it is to install without messing up your current alignment setup — hadn’t realized I could do it that way. I’ll be happy to no longer mark my camber eccentric and readjust it after every track day or two.
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      09-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #9
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I’ll note I also measured the lockout widths and everything was within +/-0.15mm. Hardware was coated and and high grade.
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      09-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #10
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
I’ll note I also measured the lockout widths and everything was within +/-0.15mm. Hardware was coated and and high grade.
Maxed out with the 4 mm offset at -2.1°

Tire temp & wear seems pretty happy but if anything, a little bit more negative camber is desired. Unfortunately not achievable without lengthening LCA or something similar

Love the fact that the rear geometry is not moving around after every track day
Appreciate 1
dvq319.00
      09-07-2020, 10:49 AM   #11
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Tire temp & wear seems pretty happy but if anything, a little bit more negative camber is desired. Unfortunately not achievable without lengthening LCA or something similar

I'm at -2.2 and using 0mm offset on one side and 1mm offset on the other, do ride height or other adjustments modify the maximum amount of camber you can have or is something amiss with how I setup the lockout? I got aligned 1 week before I installed the lockout.
Appreciate 1
Endeav388.50
      09-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #12
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Installed my kit today, everything went smoothly. I’ve seen these kits before but the video really outlined how easy it is to install without messing up your current alignment setup — hadn’t realized I could do it that way. I’ll be happy to no longer mark my camber eccentric and readjust it after every track day or two.
Quote:
Quote:

Glad you guys are as happy as I am with the product

Quote:
I'm at -2.2 and using 0mm offset on one side and 1mm offset on the other, do ride height or other adjustments modify the maximum amount of camber you can have or is something amiss with how I setup the lockout? I got aligned 1 week before I installed the lockout.
Ride height will definitely change the max camber in both directions (negative and positive). Without changing anything with the shims, if you lower your vehicle you will naturally gain negative camber. As a result if your vehicle is quite low, the max offset shim will allow for greater negative camber.

Think of the alignment as being additive to your "neutral point", and your "neutral point" being your cars ride height... hope that makes sense!
Appreciate 1
dvq319.00