European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #67
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Not entirely true, the S55 as earlier M3s sound best at high rpms. The "problem" is that now there is no need to visit high rpms in DD driving, the S55 is such a beast in the mid-range and here it doesn't sound as exciting. It's not terrible though and an ok price to pay to enjoy the wonderful chassis with the big power. There's no way I'll trade for a C63 or RC-F due to this that's for sure . Do I miss the NA engine, yes but no FI engine is a match for it, Benz or other.
It is kind of interesting about getting the good sound out of the new car.

With the S65 it was easy to coax a nice tone at legal speeds. It was just hard to truly feel the 'power' of the car without breaking the law.

With the S55 you can get power whenever you want. But its harder to coax the sound out legally.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #68
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy View Post
Hard driving is not limited to the track. The reviewer didn't even go on the track if you read the article, they did almost all backroad driving which is done quite a bit by people who like to enjoy their cars on the road. If you base your car based purely off your commute then you probably picked the wrong brand.

I didn't say the handling was bad, only that it was noted in the scans as inferior to the M3's. Please argue against points I actually make.

Lastly, you're not comparing cars in good faith here. You've clearly got an agenda as you have nothing but negative things to say about the M3 even in threads that aren't even comparing it to others. You keep bringing up active sound assist as if it's some travesty when it's barely even mentioned in the article and not a panned feature. If that's seriously your best argument as to why this is a terrible car then you need to reevaluate your entire case.
future you called.

He said that you need to put this guy on ignore to save a lot of time and headache.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #69
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanuuh View Post
Yeah at the end of the day with these two cars its going to be a toss up. It will probably be close to 50/50 with the reviews on the C63 and M3 but I think the C63S will win most of the time.

Lexus messed up big time with the RC-F. So much potential. Audi probably won't bring anything out to compete with these two. The RS4 was only out for like 2 years wasn't it?

The C63 and M3 are both sitting at the top. If you can get either one of these youre lucky as hell
I am going to disagree with you there, I think the M3/M4 will win most of the battles in the USA magazines. (I can't keep track of all these UK, EU, ASIA magazines).

But I'm biased, as you can tell. Just do me a favor and don't be a fan boy

Previously:
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #70
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
The C63 handling caracteristics you are talking about are all things that can be experienced only on hard driving, like when tracking, for a daily driver with 3-4 track days a year, those compromise are worth it IMO, at least I think so since I have'nt eard any complain about the handling of the C63, in fact reviewers seems very impressed by it. For all the benefit you get elsewhere, like stupidly awsome engine(performance and sound) and added confort as well as more luxurious place to sit in, I'd get the Merc, that's probably also why they say in the Portugal magazine review that eventhough their choice is the M3, they think the C63 is the better car for 90% of people!

As for the comment about having to pay for the seats, well for less then the price of the BMW Performance exhaust(which does'nt even sound good IMO), you have the AMG sport exhaust + sport seats, so it's clear that the big loser is the BMW costumer if you ask me! And that's without speaking of the free alcantara steering option at Mercedes, which BMW will ask ~$1k for!

And if you are still wondering why I like to come here to compare cars against what should have been my next car(F8x), just go on the E9x forum and you'll realise that not many people there care about the new cars that are coming to the market, I'm not even sure they are aware that the new C63 has started to get reviewed!
Hard driving is not limited to the track. The reviewer didn't even go on the track if you read the article, they did almost all backroad driving which is done quite a bit by people who like to enjoy their cars on the road. If you base your car based purely off your commute then you probably picked the wrong brand.

I didn't say the handling was bad, only that it was noted as inferior to the M3's. Please argue against points I actually make.

Lastly, lol you're not comparing cars in good faith here you've clearly got an agenda as you have nothing but negative things to say about the M3 even in threads that aren't even comparing it to others. You keep bringing up active sound assist as if it's some travesty when it's barely even mentioned in the article and certainly not a panned feature. If that's seriously your best argument as to why this is a terrible car then you need to reevaluate your entire case.
Sure, hard driving is not reserved for the track but it's still the best place to do so and to feel the handling caracteristics of a car. Anyway that was just an exemple, that does'nt mean I don't enjoy my car on the road but it's not there that you often get close to the limits as you would on a circuit! And after all the C63 reviews I've seen, I feel like the way it handles seems more then good enough for what I do, and the engine probably more then makes up for its little weakeness(if we can call it that). In fact I'm not even sure the F8x outhandles the C, it seems like it's really more a question of feel then a question of performance that separate the two!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #71
amanuuh
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
I am going to disagree with you there, I think the M3/M4 will win most of the battles in the USA magazines. (I can't keep track of all these UK, EU, ASIA magazines).

But I'm biased, as you can tell. Just do me a favor and don't be a fan boy
Im going to stick with my statement because so far in reviews (non head to head) US editors are favoring the C63S.

I can't fanboy with Mercedes yet because I haven't owned one yet
      03-18-2015, 06:33 PM   #72
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Sure, hard driving is not reserved for the track but it's still the best place to do so and to feel the handling caracteristics of a car. Anyway that was just an exemple, that does'nt mean I don't enjoy my car on the road but it's not there that you often get close to the limits as you would on a circuit! And after all the C63 reviews I've seen, I feel like the way it handles seems more then good enough for what I do, and the engine probably more then makes up for its little weakeness(if we can call it that). In fact I'm not even sure the F8x outhandles the C, it seems like it's really more a question of feel then a question of performance that separate the two!
You're entire point was that you can't feel the understeer or body roll that I mentioned without going on track, that's clearly not true as both were noticed on the road.

Also, the article states several times by both writers that the M3 outhandles the C63. Seriously, did you actually read the whole article? Instead of avoiding another point you're clearly wrong on please at least answer this. You've said several things about the article that are clearly not in or refuted by the actual article which leads me to believe you didn't actually read through it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #73
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice
Quote:
I would agree with you that the S65 could also sound phenomenal, with the right set-up. I would'nt say it sounds better or worst then the old 6.2L since it's very subjective, but for sure it hold its own against the competition. While with these new generations, BMW is simply not there in terms of sound, the C63 has'nt lost one bit of it's bark while BMW seems to have capitulated and decided to rely on fake sound into the cabin.
Not entirely true, the S55 as earlier M3s sound best at high rpms. The "problem" is that now there is no need to visit high rpms in DD driving, the S55 is such a beast in the mid-range and here it doesn't sound as exciting. It's not terrible though and an ok price to pay to enjoy the wonderful chassis with the big power. There's no way I'll trade for a C63 or RC-F due to this that's for sure . Do I miss the NA engine, yes but no FI engine is a match for it, Benz or other.
I understand what you are saying, but I still don't think the S55 is close to be in the same league as those very good sounding engines that you find in other cars of the same price range. Also, eventhough there's a similarity in sound between S55 and S54, the S55 is far from being the screamer the S54 was, and the S54 has never been the best sounding engine either. I don't want to rain on your parade, believe me, but I think it's a shame that BMW could'nt come up with something better then the S55, and I'm not talking about the performance, just the overhall experience!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #74
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Quote:
Im going to stick with my statement because so far in reviews (non head to head) US editors are favoring the C63S.

Doesn't it say you have a CLA45 on the MB World forums?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #75
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshortguy
Quote:
You're entire point was that you can't feel the understeer or body roll that I mentioned without going on track, that's clearly not true as both were noticed on the road.

Also, the article states several times by both writers that the M3 outhandles the C63. Seriously, did you actually read the whole article? Instead of avoiding another point you're clearly wrong on please at least answer this. You've said several things about the article that are clearly not in or refuted by the actual article which leads me to believe you didn't actually read through it.
Nop, my entire point was that you wont feel the understeer or body roll unless you drive the car hard, like on a track, which is only a small amount of the driving that most people do, so to me(and most people I suppose), having a better engine to play with and listen to is more important!

And yes I've read the article, but I'm not basing my opinion solely on this one, there's been many other reviews in which the C really shined handling wise. I'm just not sure the F8x really has an advantage in terms of carrying speed true corners, I was under the impression that both cars were similar in this department with the F8x having the advantage in feel, more comparos will tell us I guess!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:03 PM   #76
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Both great cars and both are winners IMO. I see the C63S as the better daily driver and the M3 as the better track toy. Since I am quite the track junky, the M3(4) is the better dual purpose car for me. But I clearly see why one would prefer the C63.

I agree with the sidebar reviewer who says he would love to see the C63S engine in the M3 chassis. The question is would it be possible to get a heavier TT V8 under the hood and still get the light weight and balance of the F8X? Compromises, compromises...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 07:06 PM   #77
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Both great cars and both are winners IMO. I see the C63S as the better daily driver and the M3 as the better track toy. Since I am quite the track junky, the M3(4) is the better dual purpose car for me. But I clearly see why would prefer the C63.

I agree with the sidebar reviewer who says he would love to see the C63S engine in the M3 chassis.
Agreed

Choosing between the two is really about what type of car you are looking for since both are well executed
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #78
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Both great cars and both are winners IMO. I see the C63S as the better daily driver and the M3 as the better track toy. Since I am quite the track junky, the M3(4) is the better dual purpose car for me. But I clearly see why would prefer the C63.

I agree with the sidebar reviewer who says he would love to see the C63S engine in the M3 chassis.
How much does that engine way?

I think that would possibly ruin turn-in and make the car real nose heavy... I haven't been able to find any weight data on the M117. S55 is 425lbs, IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #79
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final View Post
How much does that engine way?

I think that would possibly ruin turn-in and make the car real nose heavy... I haven't been able to find any weight data on the M117. S55 is 425lbs, IIRC.
You replied while I was still editing my post

The S55 is barely lighter (if at all) than the S65. I wonder how much the M117 weighs with all the ancillaries and turbo plumbing.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #80
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Both great cars and both are winners IMO. I see the C63S as the better daily driver and the M3 as the better track toy. Since I am quite the track junky, the M3(4) is the better dual purpose car for me. But I clearly see why one would prefer the C63.

I agree with the sidebar reviewer who says he would love to see the C63S engine in the M3 chassis. The question is would it be possible to get a heavier TT V8 under the hood and still get the light weight and balance of the F8X? Compromises, compromises...
I don't see the point of a v8 besides bragging... Really, it's nice and loud.

What does it do for overall handling and the feel of the car?

I mean, should we be mocking that Porsche 911's are all 6 cylinders?

I don't want a GT car, I want a sports car.

Previously:
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:13 PM   #81
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
I don't see the point of a v8 besides bragging... Really, it's nice and loud.

What does it do for overall handling and the feel of the car?

I mean, should we be mocking that Porsche 911's are all 6 cylinders?

I don't want a GT car, I want a sports car.
The sound mostly and the extra power. However, I would take a V8 that revs a little higher than the M117 in the C63S...

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #82
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well i guess if we all listened to reviewers we'd all be driving Audis.

S6
RS7
since they have beaten M5's, E63's, M6's, CLS63's etc.

Previously:
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #83
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Guys, the S55 is one of the best engines out there. PERIOD. Who really gives a shit about what it sounds like?

I happen to think the S55 sounds amazing, BTW. I've not heard a single person say they weren't impressed by how this engine sounds, in person.

I prefer smaller turbo charged engines anyday over large, heavy and inefficient V8s. My small little Mitsubishi 4G63 2.0L turbo from my Evo VIII made 620awhp on the stock block(bottom end). Fully built, they're capable of 1000+ awhp. Why do I need a heavy/less efficient V8 to achieve these numbers? Sound alone?

There is a real reason the smart manufacturers are going with smaller, Forced Induction powerplants. More power, more efficiency, lighter weight.

Get over it.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #84
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy

I prefer smaller turbo charged engines anyday over large, heavy and inefficient V8s. My small little Mitsubishi 4G63 2.0L turbo from my Evo VIII made 620awhp on the stock block(bottom end). Fully built, they're capable of 1000+ awhp. Why do I need a heavy/less efficient V8 to achieve these numbers? Sound alone?
Lag!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #85
amanuuh
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectors2final
Quote:

Doesn't it say you have a CLA45 on the MB World forums?
Brothers car. He isn't on the forums. He's not a fan of modding cars lol I'm 24 I can't afford two cars like that
      03-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #86
amanuuh
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3
Quote:

Well i guess if we all listened to reviewers we'd all be driving Audis.

S6
RS7
since they have beaten M5's, E63's, M6's, CLS63's etc.

No matter how much I try to like Audi i can't. The only car I would enjoy is the R8(who wouldn't want that car) other than that I'm not really a fan. I wanted a A4 back in the day but after I get into BMW I got over it.
      03-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #87
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
Guys, the S55 is one of the best engines out there. PERIOD. Who really gives a shit about what it sounds like?

I happen to think the S55 sounds amazing, BTW. I've not heard a single person say they weren't impressed by how this engine sounds, in person.

There is a real reason the smart manufacturers are going with smaller, Forced Induction powerplants. More power, more efficiency, lighter weight.

Get over it.
I have to tell you this engine loves to rev, and pulls all the way to 7.6k redline.

I have no qualms with this engine except, yeah, it does not sound like the 6.2 amg I had. But really, I would be disappointed in the sound even if I was driving a GT3. The v8 sounds great, that's it.

Previously:
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 08:50 PM   #88
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You replied while I was still editing my post

The S55 is barely lighter (if at all) than the S65. I wonder how much the M117 weighs with all the ancillaries and turbo plumbing.
S65 is 445lbs.

I can't find anything on the M117.

Your edit is what I was getting at...
Appreciate 0