EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #67
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkinnh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
If you want out of your car then find a good LLL and sue them. You put up with far more than I would have!
You probably don't even have to go that far. A long time ago I had a Lexus (don't judge) and had a ton of problems with it. I asked them to buy it back and they said no, so I filed the lemon law paperwork with the state.

Part of the process is sending a notice to the manufacturer. When I did that, they called and offered to buy the car back - provided I cancelled the process with the state.

Jerks.
I successfully LL'd a 350z. Learned how to navigate the waters in my state at that time.
      01-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #68
ufgatorvet
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm4 View Post
I had a rebooting issue today. No prior problems, early '15 m4, JB4 stage 2, 11,000km.

After the car had been sitting in the garage for a week while I was overseas (where my partner "hadn't touched it" since she drove it home from dropping me at the airport) on its first 30min drive iDrive rebooted approx 15 times while playing radio with Nav open,trip computer split. HUD/dash/ac/driving was fine. After maybe the 8th time also some settings were cleared (i.e. stored radio stations, numbered button presets)

via a process of elimination I determined the rebooting stopped if I disabled bluetooth on the iDrive. was very consistant - bluetooth on and there was crashes and rebooted, bluetooth off no problems.

Then my partner advised me she had actually paired her phone with it when driving it home last week....

We both have Samsung Galaxy S7 Edges, both with the default bluetooth name (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge?) both were showing as connected in bluetooth. I unpaired her's (which seemed to take two attempts?) and re-enabled bluetooth, and the rebooting (which had been happening every 2-10 minutes consistantly) stopped completely.

took it for 3 more drives today, no further problems.

Was on Media version: MN-002.049.003
was on phone version: TN-002.049.003

I have tonight updated it using www.bmw.com/update UPD05073.bin to now be running
MN-002.255.071
TN-002.255.070

I'll wait a few days and check it is stable still then try pair her phone again and see if i can still break it

but it looks like there is at least one bluetooth bug on at least one firmware revision which can cause random rebooting
Wanted to see if after all this time, anyone has final updates/thoughts on their individual problems.

My 2018 M3 iDrive has experienced this iDrive reboot problem and want to see if there was/is a consensus on the issue.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #69
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Adding a data point:
I had a 2015 with 20k ish miles that only had the 1200 mile service and no software updates since (I specifically tell them not to touch the software)

So just lease-returned it and the week prior I got the full service just to avoid any return problems / delays ...

My iDrive was rebooting about 1 or 2 times every drive.

Of course I ignored it because lease return and the 2018 is fine, but .... definitely some bugs there.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 11:15 PM   #70
AlexF802018
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 2018

Exactly same happened to me after driving for a bit after computer update at the dealer. Few stops later after changing some settings such as date format and others, the instrument panel turned off and started. 2 cycles..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #71
TCom
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have a 2018 M3 that is having the same issue so the problem is still around. I read through the whole thread but no root cause was ever mentioned. I did get a notice of a Nav update the other day and accepted it. iDrive is rebooting every 5-10 minutes. I am wondering if it is corrupted data in Nav/Medie or a screen/media/mat setting/combo that might be causing the issue.

I have noticed the media presets are resetting each time the reboot happens but have not looked for other lost configurations.

Any advice to start looking for fixes/root cause?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #72
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

Go to your dealership and tell them exactly what you said, its rebooting. They will update all of your cars computers, the dme and idrive and itll be good to go. There is a service bulletin out for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #73
TCom
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Goose View Post
Go to your dealership and tell them exactly what you said, its rebooting. They will update all of your cars computers, the dme and idrive and itll be good to go. There is a service bulletin out for it.
Thanks. Not opposed to the dealer but much prefer to fix it myself if it is straightforward. I found and did the iDrive update and things seem to be better. Will take it to the dealer if it happens again.
Appreciate 0