Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
Ripcurl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

popping sound from front driver side after installing KW V3

Last week I installed KW V3 coilovers on my f80 M3 through my local BMW dealer. When I took it for the test drive though the front driver side suspension sounded (popping sound) like it was loose. This happens at low speed (5-10mph). Passenger side was perfect and back is good as well. I thought that they didn't install the driver side properly. They took the car back on the lift and said that everything looks good but one of the racing team guy said we may need to change the upper strut mount on that side.

One other important thing is the sound only comes when I take that side only over a speed bump or road divider. If I take the whole front side over the speed bump there is no sound. This tells me that when the load is distributed on both sides it is fine but when the load/force is only acting on driver side something is not right.

They installed new upper strut mount yesterday and the sound is still there.

I read some other posts that it could be bad sway bar links, link rods, etc...

Please let me know what you guys think. Any suggestions???
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

You should go back to the installer and have them look over the install and torque everything down again.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 12:35 AM   #3
davinnn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80

I am having that issue too with lowering springs..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
robbys3m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3's

I've had it since inception on my kw has...3 different installers have said the install is correct and kw has told me it's due to the factory suspension design..I've learned to live with it and have made it a touch less annoying with spring isolators
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
davinnn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80

but people with coilovers are having the same issue
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 12:06 AM   #6
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

My KW HAS was fine for about a thousand or so miles, then developed a popping sound that happened occasionally. I ignored it b/c people on the forum indicated they had experienced some noise from this set up. Then, one day, there was this horrible dragging sound when I was pulling into work. Apparently, the sway bar end link had popped off the strut due to the KW HAS collar becoming loose.

Moral of the story... keep checking periodically to ensure nothing is slipping or has failed. Your car should not be making popping noises if the suspension is installed correctly (whether it's a spring kit, KW HAS or V3).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 / Nissan GTR

With the exception of a few rattles the first 100 miles, I don't get any noise on my KW HAS
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #8
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
You should go back to the installer and have them look over the install and torque everything down again.
+1.... There should be no noises if installed properly. Sounds like something is not properly torqued/tightened. Wish you were closer...we could take a look for you
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 03:42 AM   #9
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Seen this issue before on some PSS10's installed somewhere else, top hat wasn't torqued to spec.

Resulted in the coil to bind and pop once tension built up enough, which usually happened at a full turn or turns under load.

I would have it double checked
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #10
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

I have kw clubsports and I had a noise issue on the front (not sure if it is the same sound as yours) but I lifted the car back up and loosened up the sway bar links and put the wheel hubs under load like if the car was not on jack stands then tightened the sway bar links. Stopped the noise

I also read somewhere that it could happen
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #11
///M3_F80
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

I was at my local dealer recently as I had this sound on both driver and pass sides. The previous owner had installed coilovers however, when they put the oem struts and springs back on they failed to correctly seat the shock absorber into the lower knuckle. There is a band like clamp that uses a special torquing screw/bolt that is a one shot deal, meaning that you are not supposed to re-use this screw/bolt if you ever swap out your suspension, you should be getting a new oem screw/bolt.

Once the dealer had diagnosed and was finished with my car they had fixed the issue. They had several senior tech's look it over to make sure.

To avoid the knocks and pops, that bolt needs to be torqued to spec and the shock absorber needs to be seated correctly. If it is making noise it is because it is not installed properly. You could clearly see where the shock use to sit before the suspension was taken out and then put back on.

Last edited by ///M3_F80; 10-08-2016 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0