Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-06-2015, 04:12 PM   #23
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Can't you guys just have someone to code out the auto rev matching? What's the point of it on a manual anyway. Just get a DCT if you don't want to rev match yourself...
No you cannot.

There is much more of a difference between DCT/6MT besides rev matching.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #24
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
No you cannot.
Um, yes.... It most certainly can be coded out I've seen it in person.

Secondly, there is a wonderful reason for it on a 6MT, maybe you've never driven a manual? (2 posts up)

AnyWho, if you read the first post he asks for people to just list the issues, not "you should have a DCT" ect.

I was a non-reader also in this thread, and posted "I have no issues".. Shame on me also.

But, why have it on a 6MT??? That's just crazy talk right there.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #25
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
He said he spent 7 months dealing with it and No Fix was ever provided thats why the buyback. I wonder if his dealer ever tried applying complete software flash to 2016 vehicle version software. Although, I really believe its a hardware issue in my case due to the duplication only in high humitidy/rain
Come to think of it, it has been raining for the last week, and it has been really spotty with the rev matching. Ill keep a closer eye on it when it dries up.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #26
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first
Quote:
No you cannot.

Secondly, there is a wonderful reason for it on a 6MT, maybe you've never driven a manual? (2 posts up)

AnyWho, if you read the first post he asks for people to just list the issues, not "you should have a DCT" ect.

I was a non-reader also in this thread, and posted "I have no issues".. Shame on me also.

Have no interest in having a manual in a modern 4 wheel car. Auto just does a way better job on track than I can ever do these days, and being stuck in the traffic is hell of a lot more bearable than a manual.

If I want to roll my own gears, I rather do it on a two wheel where the reward of doing such is much greater.

That said it is silly to have auto rev match in an manual, dunno why a lot of manufacturers are doing it these days. Just get it coded out for god's sake. You guys need to get off the 6Mt high horse.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #27
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first
Quote:
No you cannot.

Have no interest in having a manual in a modern 4 wheel car. Auto just does a way better job on track than I can ever do these days, and being stuck in the traffic is hell of a lot more bearable than a manual.

If I want to roll my own gears, I rather do it on a two wheel where the reward of doing such is much greater.

That said it is silly to have auto rev match in an manual, dunno why a lot of manufacturers are doing it these days. Just get it coded out for god's sake. You guys need to get off the 6Mt high horse.
Fair enough for your likes and dislikes.

However, couldn't the same be said about you getting off your DCT high horse?

Manufacturers make them because people like them and people buy them. Are they the majority no, but there' still enough out there for them to make money on it.

Simple business 101.
Appreciate 4
      11-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #28
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun
Quote:

Holy contradiction.

It's silly for a rev match feature, yet it makes it easier to deal with traffic, and you drive a DCT, with a rev match feature. And what's that got to do with being on track? I agree that for track duty, it's almost a godsend, but I think your comments blow it a bit out of proportion.

I've driven plenty of manuals, some more difficult to live with than others in Chicago, so I know all too well what it's like, and to that end, to each their own.

So, why do you think that feature is silly?
Don't get it. How does auto rev match in sport plus mode help in traffic. You still have to deal with the clutch, which is the biggest pain point. I don't commute luckily, but even the occasional weekend traffic jam makes me not ever want a manual again on a car. From my understanding, the whole of rev matching is to prevent drivetrain shock and excessive wear during spirited driving or track use. But blipping the throttle yourself is the best part of owning a manual IMHO. So why let the computer to do it for you.

It is not like the car allows you to do clutchless shifting and auto rev match like some of the newer bikes (please don't attempt that on a car gearbox). But at that point, you essentially have a sequential manual gearbox.

Anyway to each of their own I suppose. I hope you guys find a solution for this one way or he other.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #29
DiscoWagon
Race to win.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

No need to cycle through the modes, I simply double clutch on the next downshift and it starts working again.
      11-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #30
domd817
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 YMB F80 6MT

As to the buyback process I am my totally sure how it worked to be honest. There were definitely some closed door discussions that I was not a part of. I'm fortunate it worked out for me in the end but the process was long. No solution was ever determined in regards to actually fixing the rev issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 10:48 AM   #31
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
Come to think of it, it has been raining for the last week, and it has been really spotty with the rev matching. Ill keep a closer eye on it when it dries up.
My dealer had informed me that they are going to flash the entire DME to 2016 software, it will be a couple of weeks before I have it in for the service. However, since my issues are intermitent it may be a while before I can determine if it has really fixed the problem. You may want to see if your dealer can do the same for you. I had to push my dealer for several days to contact BMWNA to begin the process of trying to find a fix since they could not duplicate the problem on test drive. BMWNA is still claiming there are no "known" issues of this problem on other cars. You can PM me and I'll give you my vehicle VIN so that you can share it with your dealer, it may help BMWNA expedite approval for software update and save you some headache.

Last edited by kitesurfer; 11-08-2015 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #32
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can't you guys just have someone to code out the auto rev matching? What's the point of it on a manual anyway. Just get a DCT if you don't want to rev match yourself...

I guess you can't read the first post in this thread ....You know what man you a tool bag that is ruining this thread you have added absolutely nothing of value...were trying to have a constructive thread where f80/f82 owners can report a problem and try to work towards obtaining a fix.
Noone Gives a FU*K how much you like your "Auto 335i"...(thats right you don't even own a Manual f80/f82) Noone Gives a F*ck why you think we should all get DCTs or code out rev Match or more..... blah, blah, blah

Your posts in this thread are all worthless nonsense taking up space in a constructive thread.

Last edited by kitesurfer; 11-08-2015 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #33
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer
Quote:

I guess you can't read the first post in this thread ....You know what man you a tool bag that is ruining this thread you have added absolutely nothing of value...were trying to have a constructive thread where f80/f82 owners can report a problem and try to work towards obtaining a fix.
Noone Gives a FU*K how much you like your "Auto 335i"...(thats right you don't even own a Manual f80/f82) Noone Gives a F*ck why you think we should all get DCTs or code out rev Match or more..... blah, blah, blah

Your posts in this thread are all worthless nonsense taking up space in a constructive thread.
Classy
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #34
Brian135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 16' M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Wow....there is a lot of drama in this thread.

I just to say that I have also experienced so issues with the rev-match system. Sometimes when up shifting from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th gear the car would rev really high for no reason. Maybe it think I'm trying to down shift from 2nd to 1st gear. All this happened in sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #35
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian135i View Post
Wow....there is a lot of drama in this thread.

I just to say that I have also experienced so issues with the rev-match system. Sometimes when up shifting from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 5th gear the car would rev really high for no reason. Maybe it think I'm trying to down shift from 2nd to 1st gear. All this happened in sport.
Could be that your gear position sensor is faulty . Start getting you dealer to investigate...I wouldn't just accept the standard line the dealer gives "Could not Duplicate Error" and hand you the car back ...We all gotta push our dealers to contact BMWNA the more BMWNA hears about the issues the more they will likely find a fix
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #36
gprgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Silverstone

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 06:02 AM   #37
Mrfurious214
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral White M3

I took delivery in April and started experiencing rev matching in sport plus in July. It got progressively worse as time went on. But its not rev matching as you would expect. In other engine modes my rev matchig has worked flawlessly. but in sport + it is not working the way normal rev matching should work. It tries to rev match by blipping the trottle but it is usually not macthing rpm's and just makes the car start bouncing around which is annyoying and slightly embarrassing.

I think I have started to understand my issue, so maybe you guys can confirm if this happens to you. I think this issue happens only when the clutch is depressed right around the bite point. If I move my seat forward and press the clutch deeper during shifts it seems to stop completely. I don't enjoy this because its not as natural for me to shift gears but I can deal with it. Can anyone try and confirm? Just try moving your seat back inch by inch until the natural extension of your foot stops right after the clutch bite point for shifts. If i do that, all my problems start happening.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #38
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfurious214 View Post
I took delivery in April and started experiencing rev matching in sport plus in July. It got progressively worse as time went on. But its not rev matching as you would expect. In other engine modes my rev matchig has worked flawlessly. but in sport + it is not working the way normal rev matching should work. It tries to rev match by blipping the trottle but it is usually not macthing rpm's and just makes the car start bouncing around which is annyoying and slightly embarrassing.

I think I have started to understand my issue, so maybe you guys can confirm if this happens to you. I think this issue happens only when the clutch is depressed right around the bite point. If I move my seat forward and press the clutch deeper during shifts it seems to stop completely. I don't enjoy this because its not as natural for me to shift gears but I can deal with it. Can anyone try and confirm? Just try moving your seat back inch by inch until the natural extension of your foot stops right after the clutch bite point for shifts. If i do that, all my problems start happening.
When mine started acting up in sport+, it just began to do the rev. matching. I did not see any coorelation to how far I pressed the clutch. regardless it should NOT rev. match at all in sport+, . If I were you I would open a case with your local dealer, speak with the service manger directly, I would email him your concerns and even this thread so he can see others are having the problem and he will probably get authorization from BMWNA flashing the DME to 2016 software and see if that fixes the problem. Thats where I am with my dealer and by being persistent with my service manager BMWNA has agreded update the software.
If that turns out not to be the fix I plan to pursue "hardware issues" with the dealer and have sensors replaced
Good luck & report back if you have it fixed
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2016, 02:23 PM   #39
cwhands
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SS/CSAT 6MT

The only thing I've noticed is that just after a cold start - and yes this is expected - the rev matching isn't nearly as smooth.

Otherwise with just 2.2k miles on the clock I haven't had any issues. Knock on wood.

Also I tried to code out the rev-matching and changed my mind because it made me have to find a sweet spot in the clutch pedal travel to be able to turn the engine on. That was actually more of an annoyance to me than worrying about heel-toeing in efficient.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #40
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
BTW I had a software update to 58.3 and its seems to have corrected the rev match issues I was having
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2016, 04:12 PM   #41
V3rbatim
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3

Rev matching in Sport mode?? I only have revmatching on efficient mode? Is there a setting i didnt turn on on sport mode?? I feel like a noob lol
      06-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #42
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rbatim View Post
Rev matching in Sport mode?? I only have revmatching on efficient mode? Is there a setting i didnt turn on on sport mode?? I feel like a noob lol
Its desinged to Rev Match in both Efficient and Sport Engine settings, not is Sport+
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #43
V3rbatim
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Its desinged to Rev Match in both Efficient and Sport Engine settings, not is Sport+
Weird, i dont seem to have rev matching on sport during downshifts.
      06-26-2016, 05:17 AM   #44
specracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS HS 6MT M8 Comp

Wish my rev match was broken, in all modes....
Appreciate 1