ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-14-2016, 10:34 PM   #1
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Alarm Going Off Randomly

So I'd like to know if anyone else is having a similar issue and knows a fix for this.

The first time this happened, I parked my car and walked away from it, only to hear the alarm go off 20 seconds later. The key fob was in my pocket and nothing was hitting it.

The second time it happened, I was in my office and a coworker came to inform me that my car alarm had gone off. The key fob was sitting on my desk and the car was a quarter mile away from it, so...

In both cases, the car was locked and the red security light was blinking when I came to check up on the car. Any ideas?

If it matters, my car was rear-ended resulting in $10k+ in damages. It's been fixed, but is there a chance that something got hooked up wrong?
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I would take her in and have it checked out. Just tell them my alarm is being triggered and nothing seems to be triggering it. You can probably tell them you been rear ended before and maybe they will double check just in case.
      01-15-2016, 08:47 AM   #3
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Does your clock also shut off, and you have to reset the time. Either way I would say battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:46 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
If it matters, my car was rear-ended resulting in $10k+ in damages. It's been fixed, but is there a chance that something got hooked up wrong?
I'd say there's a better chance that something was damaged during the accident or a connection came loose during the accident and that the shop doing the work simply didn't realize it.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 11:08 AM   #5
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

The alarm siren and tilt sensor is in the rear wheel arch. Maybe they installed it incorrectly and the car thinks the car is being tilted. You can take it apart and see if anything looks wrong. The dealer will be able to tell for sure whats setting off the alarm with ista-d. It logs what sets the alarm off each time.
Attached Images

01-16-2016, 02:56 AM   #6
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
I would take her in and have it checked out. Just tell them my alarm is being triggered and nothing seems to be triggering it. You can probably tell them you been rear ended before and maybe they will double check just in case.
Thanks, that was the plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
Does your clock also shut off, and you have to reset the time. Either way I would say battery.
It does not. Battery seems good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I'd say there's a better chance that something was damaged during the accident or a connection came loose during the accident and that the shop doing the work simply didn't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heckyeahbro69 View Post
The alarm siren and tilt sensor is in the rear wheel arch. Maybe they installed it incorrectly and the car thinks the car is being tilted. You can take it apart and see if anything looks wrong. The dealer will be able to tell for sure whats setting off the alarm with ista-d. It logs what sets the alarm off each time.
This seems likely since the shop performing the repairs had to tear down a lot of the car. Not exactly sure to what extent, but I'll suggest that the dealer looks into the tilt sensor. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:35 AM   #7
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

whenever I leave my dog in the car, it sets off the alarm.. there's a motion in the car... maybe your motion is going off or is broken.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
MSportTune2
First Lieutenant
Aland Islands
Rep
Drives: F30 MSport

I had two cases of false alarm triggered in the exact same location at my ICE workshop. Both cases the slope leading to the workshop was full of cars and I parked head in perpendicular to the slope so my left side was tilted. Initially I thought it triggered because I had put on my hazard lights and armed the car but now I suspect the tilt sensor is triggered thinking my car is jacked up on the left side. I have yet to bring it in to get it check out. Maybe can code to be less sensitive.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2016, 10:30 PM   #9
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
whenever I leave my dog in the car, it sets off the alarm.. there's a motion in the car... maybe your motion is going off or is broken.
Ha, I made the mistake of locking my girlfriend in the car while I went to the gas station to use the restroom. She was pissed when I got back bet everyone thought she had broken in to my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSportTune2 View Post
I had two cases of false alarm triggered in the exact same location at my ICE workshop. Both cases the slope leading to the workshop was full of cars and I parked head in perpendicular to the slope so my left side was tilted. Initially I thought it triggered because I had put on my hazard lights and armed the car but now I suspect the tilt sensor is triggered thinking my car is jacked up on the left side. I have yet to bring it in to get it check out. Maybe can code to be less sensitive.
Thanks for sharing! Certainly sounds like the tilt sensor is the culprit in my case.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 12:18 AM   #10
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

If you hit the center lock button twice on your key, it disables the motion sensor part of the alarm. This should get you through till you get a fix.

Also, is anything parked into your OBDII port? I know that on some cars if they sense something trying to communicate through the port and the alarm goes off.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 07:51 PM   #11
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post
If you hit the center lock button twice on your key, it disables the motion sensor part of the alarm. This should get you through till you get a fix.

Also, is anything parked into your OBDII port? I know that on some cars if they sense something trying to communicate through the port and the alarm goes off.
Thanks for the tip

Nothing was plugged into the OBDII port in both cases.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #12
psedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 AB 6MT F80

I'm starting to notice this more and more lately. It happens right after a drive and the fan/oil pump is still running. I think that is the issue. It's vibrating enough to shock the motion sensor. I used to think it was my key hitting my wife's car key, but I've modified my keyfob and it no longer has buttons. So, yeah, definitely not hitting another key.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #13
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psedog View Post
I'm starting to notice this more and more lately. It happens right after a drive and the fan/oil pump is still running. I think that is the issue. It's vibrating enough to shock the motion sensor. I used to think it was my key hitting my wife's car key, but I've modified my keyfob and it no longer has buttons. So, yeah, definitely not hitting another key.
Don't have the car anymore, but where is the motion sensor in relation to the oil pump?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 11:57 PM   #14
psedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 AB 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY
Quote:
Originally Posted by psedog View Post
Don't have the car anymore, but where is the motion sensor in relation to the oil pump?
I think I read somewhere that it's in the trunk. I've only had the alarm go off when I was walking away from the car. Never overnight. Hence, I think it's the oil pump/fan.
      03-30-2019, 08:07 PM   #15
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Did some grave digging

The alarm on my M4 has never gone off until today when I started my Vette and let it warm up in the garage. Set the alarm off twice, second time the BMW key was laying on the kitchen counter. Thankfully this wasn't early in the morning. I think it's Karma because I laughed the other day when I set the alarm off on a Range Rover on the way to work.

Is there a way to desensitize the alarm system to sound or motion?
Appreciate 1
1more144.50
      10-09-2019, 05:47 PM   #16
kumori04
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sedan

Bringing the oldie back up. My alarm started going off after parking in our office's open lot. No cars around her, keys sitting on my desk. Sent her to the dealer yesterday, but they were unable to replicate. They're going to replace the motion/shock sensor. We'll see if that's solves the issue.
Appreciate 0