European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

09-30-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Strange ONR Smell

I use ONR for my car washes because it's so economical, and it's if good enough for waterless wash, it's good enough for a car that's prerinsed and foamed. Recently, I started to save the ONR mixture in my 5 gallon wash bucket instead of dumping it out because I no longer rinse and reintroduce towels. I've now use a one bucket wash method where you use the wash towel and grab another one when it's used as opposed to dunking it in a rinse bucket and reusing it. The second bucket is just for used towels now. After use, since the ONR is dirt free, I decided to save it and reuse it for the following wash. Both my buckets have Gamma Seals and they were kept closed until the next wash.

When I took out the ONR mixture the following week, I noticed it smelled really strange - kind of like Play Dough. I ended up dumping it and thought it went bad due to the heat wave we had in LA but I saved the new batch and it that had the same smell the following week.

I know many people reuse their ONR mixture or have it prepped and use it in batches. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I would assume it's still safe to use. I just found it kind of strange.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 02:34 AM   #2
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

I keep a bottle of it mixed at QD strength with distilled water and have never had this issue. Gamma seal should be airtight so maybe its something to do with the water itself?
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
I keep a bottle of it mixed at QD strength with distilled water and have never had this issue. Gamma seal should be airtight so maybe its something to do with the water itself?
Oh, I had it mixed as QD also and never noticed a smell when spraying.

I do use hose tap water for the wash solution. You may be right.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Oh, I had it mixed as QD also and never noticed a smell when spraying.

I do use hose tap water for the wash solution. You may be right.
My first thought would be if the water was sitting in the hose it could've picked up some odd smell from the pipe itself. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try a jug of distilled for mixing the solution, especially since you'll be using all of it
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 07:10 PM   #5
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
My first thought would be if the water was sitting in the hose it could've picked up some odd smell from the pipe itself. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try a jug of distilled for mixing the solution, especially since you'll be using all of it
The water I use is tap hose, but it's hooked up to a wash cart setup I have that has a bypass for bucket filling. I usually drain the water to run air bubbles out of the system for the pressure washer that's not likely the issue.

My girlfriend is a Chemistry/Physics teacher and can geek out sometimes. Maybe I can try to convince her to do all the variable testing for me
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 11:44 PM   #6
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Use distilled water. I don't use ONR anymore, but Wolfgang Uber, and I leave it in there for weeks and it doesn't get funky. It's your water for sure. LA tap water is basically poison.