Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-19-2020, 08:05 AM   #1
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

Still having acceleration hesitation/startup issues

About a month ago I had my car in because it seemed to be hesitating while under light acceleration and 1 in every 5ish startups it would crank an extra few seconds. It had catless dp’s but is now back to stock. While in for the swap I let them know the issues so they kept it for a few days to see what they could find. After the downpipe swap was complete they scanned for codes and got nothing at all. Not even a single misfire could be found and claimed everything was working fine. For a few days it was, but now instead of cranking longer it appears to almost “shutter” at startup every so often now. And between speeds of 30-40mph if I keep my foot just barely on the gas for light acceleration the whole car lightly jerks sort of like the common DCT jerk were all used to but not as hard.

Anybody have any clues? Is this just all in my head? I feel like if it was a real problem surely some sort of code would be thrown, no? I’m still out of work so just paying for all sorts of tests isn’t exactly what I want to do but I guess if I have no real ideas I’ll have to. I swore it had to be the plugs/coils or even injectors but they said not a single misfire code was found. This is extremely frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Stock intakes or aftermarket?
MAF sensors clean?
      10-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Stock intakes now. I cleaned MAF’s with MAF cleaner. Also showing no MAF codes.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
Robbie135
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 SSII

I had something similar happen in my 135i before I got my M. I didn't have any misfires or anything but once I swapped my coils it went away. Not saying it will work for you but it's something to try out
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie135 View Post
I had something similar happen in my 135i before I got my M. I didn't have any misfires or anything but once I swapped my coils it went away. Not saying it will work for you but it's something to try out
See and I thought of that. My worry is I’m gonna then have to play the whole “that didn’t work what’s next?” game and wind up spending thousands with possibly no fix still. Is it possible to test my coil packs without having to remove them and all the labor associated with it?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Yeah, we were trying easiest and cheapest first. I thought coils or plugs too. Yeah that's next to look at. Try using BM3 to do a log of a solid 4th gear pull from 2K-7.3K RPM (30-135mph). Then scroll through the log and compare the cylinder timing of 1 through 6. Seeing an anomaly here might indicate which cylinders to focus your plug/coil check.

I'm going to E85 soon and will DIY a plug and coil swap from OEM to real Flex-Fuel plugs and BavAuto coils. The job looks fairly easy, but I've done all my bolt-ons myself except the hub (Kies).

If you were to do a refresh of OEM plugs and coils yourself the parts/tools (through ECS) will be cheaper than just the labor of having a shop troubleshoot. One shop quoted me $700 for labor alone to do a plug swap...HaaaaaaNooo