Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #23
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Welcome to the internet.

But, I agree. As many many many others have said, these are all fantastic cars (well, not Jeep Wranglers. Or X6Ms (@lups, looking at you here....). Those are both crap.) and 99.9% of this bickering is pure bullshit - nothing but arguing about how many angels on a pinhead or making other distinctions without a difference.

C63s are great cars and many people prefer them to M3s.

New Mustangs are great cars (don't you dare defend the 1992 era 'stang) and many people prefer them to M3s.

E90s are great cars and some people will probably prefer them to M3s (I only say probably because, again, nobody here has driven one. Except UAE. and, for that, we hate him. )

To give a serious answer to the OP, i plan to buy an F80 not and E90. Why?

Target is to buy early 2015. By that time, any 4 door M3 (which is what I want) will be getting on in years in the E90. Sometimes new is nice, even for just all the electronic shittake that comes with the new car (connectivity, etc).

Also, I actually do think the improved mileage wil be something I care about because most of my driving will be in town (I take an LRT or run to/from work so won't be sitting in traffic, just cruising evenings/weekends/etc) with the odd trip to our place in the mountains, going hiking, skiing, etc. (YYC currently lacks a track. Don't get me started....should hopefully a new one in the next 2 years but....still....)

They will both be insanely fast (F80 faster, sure) but I am unlikely to be often cruising around at 200 km/h. The torques in the F80 will probably more regularly put a bigger smile on my face in driving around town.

On the other hand, I have a close connection to an exotic car dude in town who periodically gets 'little' cars like M3s on trade ins (he rarely even posts them on his website, which is....a little more high end) and I could probably save a fair chunk of change waiting to see if a good E90 comes in from him (I got my current E90 3 series from him 3 years ago (when it was 2 years old) with only 9,000 km on it for about what its market value is today). But it isn't just about the money. I like having the exact car I want. And I will pay for that.

I've owned V8s. They sound very nice. I think the F80 will sound more than fine - I expect it will sound good. (don't know, but the only people that have disliked the sound are people who seem to have an unusual fixation with the V8 sound. Unhealthy, really...

Anyway, those are the big things in my own thought process. A lot of it comes down to I want the car I want (which, with 4 doors and MT makes it relatively rare new, let alone finding used with low km). By all accounts, the new F80 will MORE than replace the old E90 in all respects I care about so that is almost certainly the direction we will go.

You flipping Canadian made it sound like I want one of those! We are so over, I'll join your haters club as soon the coffee is inhaled.

Mys, you are great. Too few of us have enough life to realize these are supposed to be fun, and internet is not the lights, so there is no need for this amount of feeling.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #24
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
You flipping Canadian made it sound like I want one of those! We are so over, I'll join your haters club as soon the coffee is inhaled.

Mys, you are great. Too few of us have enough life to realize these are supposed to be fun, and internet is not the lights, so there is no need for this amount of feeling.

Ms. Lups: Did you or did you not say the following:

Quote:
My thoughts are the same as always: F80 if you want the warranty, the former if you want beauty. and F82 if you are on your way to become an X6M buyer.
....and then did you or did you not say:

Quote:
Yep, I'm on my way to the X6M, that's why I have the last fling with speed and passable beauty, before the stage where being reasonable is over ruled for the need of the badge that will tell the neighbors I own my own grave spot already.
Hmmmmm???

Now, look, hate me all you want. I think there is an expression to the effect that those who are predispositioned to hating are likely to continue with such hating predisposition on a go forward basis. (It may be shorter than that, I am not sure).

But your words, Ms Lups, are hard to get past.......
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #25
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Ms. Lups: Did you or did you not say the following:

....and then did you or did you not say:

Hmmmmm???

Now, look, hate me all you want. I think there is an expression to the effect that those who are predispositioned to hating are likely to continue with such hating predisposition on a go forward basis. (It may be shorter than that, I am not sure).

But your words, Ms Lups, are hard to get past.......
You fucker! It is unfair to use my words against me, since coffee was not mentioned in any of the posts above quoted, it's more than likely that the need for a cup of two was greater than the brain power needed for typing.

As for the X6M, a lot will have to happen before I end up in that car. I already have my quota of ugly and unappealing filled over the max with that Q7, and the X6M is probably the only option available that would make my life even worse.

cut the lawyer crap Myz, or as soon as I can write again, I'm kicking your arse from there to Mexico, since running for that border has become my favorite dream, and I actually googled the location already.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #26
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
You fucker! It is unfair to use my words against me, since coffee was not mentioned in any of the posts above quoted, it's more than likely that the need for a cup of two was greater than the brain power needed for typing.

As for the X6M, a lot will have to happen before I end up in that car. I already have my quota of ugly and unappealing filled over the max with that Q7, and the X6M is probably the only option available that would make my life even worse.

cut the lawyer crap Myz, or as soon as I can write again, I'm kicking your arse from there to Mexico, since running for that border has become my favorite dream, and I actually googled the location already.
Ok, I'll take that as an admission of liability with a healthy dose of remorse thrown in and sentence you to whatever hell you would actually face in buying an X6M.

(And, yeah, the Q7. When we got the E350, the lack of estate/wagon options in that size in North America (no more 5 series or A6 or even Passats...came down to the Benz and a Volvo XC70 which, uh, no thanks) led us to test a few SUVs, including the Q7. I didn't care for it too much. Actually came pretty close to getting a GL350....which I am glad we avoided. Nice enough for a car the size of Maine, but I love wagons. Not wood-panel Chevy Chase Vacation style (if you haven't, watch that movie. Will explain everything you need to know about America) but genuine fun to drive nice wagons. Almost regret not getting the E63....but a 550 hp wagon might have been....extreme?)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #27
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Ok, I'll take that as an admission of liability with a healthy dose of remorse thrown in and sentence you to whatever hell you would actually face in buying an X6M.

(And, yeah, the Q7. When we got the E350, the lack of estate/wagon options in that size in North America (no more 5 series or A6 or even Passats...came down to the Benz and a Volvo XC70 which, uh, no thanks) led us to test a few SUVs, including the Q7. I didn't care for it too much. Actually came pretty close to getting a GL350....which I am glad we avoided. Nice enough for a car the size of Maine, but I love wagons. Not wood-panel Chevy Chase Vacation style (if you haven't, watch that movie. Will explain everything you need to know about America) but genuine fun to drive nice wagons. Almost regret not getting the E63....but a 550 hp wagon might have been....extreme?)
I'll spend the morning trying to figure out the first part. No way that is English.

Yes to the wagons, I would never buy the Q, any of them with my money, but as said earlier we who spend their time in the internet are the whipped once at home so let's just shut up so we get fed.
Appreciate 0