Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-17-2016, 06:18 AM   #67
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
Looking for honest feedback here. I switched from ordering the M2 to the M3 because the special bespoke engine and extra touches (seats, CF, mirrors, dome) but was always concerned that the potential to get playful with the M3 on twisty backroads or the track (just like Sam was from the Bimmerpost review vid) would be out of my league. My current E46 M3 I can push close to the limits and feel totally connected and be playful. From the review it seems this is easily achievable with the M2 even with MDM and its made me question my decision.

So the big question, can an average enthusiast driver get to those playful limits with an M3/M4 in euro MDM mode without worry of killing themselves or the car on a backroad like it looks like you can on the M2?
My concern is I won't be able to have as much fun in the M3 on an early morning backroad rip, as the M2 or even my E46

Thanks
And if someone says Yes, and you go wrap the car around a tree then what. You are asking whether you can play with an M3 and not kill yourself, the generic answer is No. Unless you have Chris Harris skills and a track to execute them, then No.
All cars can be dangerous and the best of drivers can have a bad day, Randy Pobst who is a master driver wrecked a car and so did Chris, it happens...

I've had plenty of fun in my M3 but it is one the one car I've owned that I respect most. The F8x is the most powerful M3 built to date and it's throttle can be made an on/off switch....get some classes and enjoy the car at the track, should be loads of fun there. And regardless, same applies to the M2.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 06:44 AM   #68
Uponone76
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Looks like Sam prefers the M2 to the M3/M4. He even goes as far as to say the M2 is the best car in BMW's current lineup.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esH3VV3_90Q
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:13 AM   #69
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
Well... I wouldn't go that far:

"Skip the M4, go directly to the M2, and collect $14,000."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Not trying to spew hate, as I really like the M4, but just pointing out there are people who would. Although this thread is more about getting rid of the M3/M4 for an M2, so different circumstances in a way.

Both cars are great for their relative price points and it's a similar argument with the 911 and Cayman. Depends what you are looking for (as ASAP pointed out) and what your budget is....nothing more complicated than that.
It would be foolish to think there aren't guys going from an M3/4 to an M2. They've already moved to the M2 subforum. Not surprised at the responses, but that's to be expected considering the question is asked on an M3/4 subforum. Just like how so many current M3/4 owners are shooting down ZCP without even test driving one yet.

Quote:
Looking for honest feedback here. I switched from ordering the M2 to the M3 because the special bespoke engine and extra touches (seats, CF, mirrors, dome) but was always concerned that the potential to get playful with the M3 on twisty backroads or the track (just like Sam was from the Bimmerpost review vid) would be out of my league. My current E46 M3 I can push close to the limits and feel totally connected and be playful. From the review it seems this is easily achievable with the M2 even with MDM and its made me question my decision.

So the big question, can an average enthusiast driver get to those playful limits with an M3/M4 in euro MDM mode without worry of killing themselves or the car on a backroad like it looks like you can on the M2?
My concern is I won't be able to have as much fun in the M3 on an early morning backroad rip, as the M2 or even my E46

Thanks
Don't know what average enthusiast driver entails, as that's pretty broad, but I'd probably say no. If we are talking about the mountain roads in my neck of the woods, the F80 will be last choice compared to my E36 and E92. Too big and too much power. i'm sure it would do great at the track though.

If you handed me the keys to a Porsche GT4 and a Dodge Viper ACR and told me to do a mountain run, I'll pick the GT4 everyday of the week (I actually have driven that car up there and it shines).

Just my 2 cents.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #70
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uponone76 View Post
Looks like Sam prefers the M2 to the M3/M4. He even goes as far as to say the M2 is the best car in BMW's current lineup.......

Not gonna lie and say I don't like it, it's incredibly attractive for sure especially in blue and vs the M4, I might actually like it a tiny bit more. I just don't like it for my purpose more than an M3/4.
It's a small car, it will feel more tossable and agile because of the smaller footprint, but it is the little sibling. The F8x is the middle sweet spot and then the M5/6 go all on power but with the refined touches for high way destroying.

If I just needed a second car for just me, to drive on the weekends and do track days, this would be the car. The power level is more inline with my experience and what I could reasonably manage. However, one thing is blatantly obvious at least to my ears, this cars sounds much better in stock form than the F8Xs and not as much of that obnoxious farting from the exhaust.

It will be a great car no doubt and great to have the smaller option in the M family, but the F8Xs which are "underpowered" in it's segment is holding it's own and even beating cars in it's segment. Could this car even be compared performance wise with a C63s Coupe or ATS-V Coupe, not even close. Different cars right, yeap, just like comparing this to an F8X.

Last edited by Blksnowflake; 02-17-2016 at 07:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:19 AM   #71
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

One can be "playful" without being at the limits. But playful and limits are relative. One's comfort zone can be another's white knuckle terror.

That said, I think, public roadways are not the place for one to explore those limits. I strongly encourage everyone buying any high performance car to do a track weekend with instruction. Even if its just one event for the rest of your life, you will gain immeasurable knowledge and best practices for car control.
      02-17-2016, 07:32 AM   #72
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
One can be "playful" without being at the limits. But playful and limits are relative. One's comfort zone can be another's white knuckle terror.

That said, I think, public roadways are not the place for one to explore those limits. I strongly encourage everyone buying any high performance car to do a track weekend with instruction. Even if its just one event for the rest of your life, you will gain immeasurable knowledge and best practices for car control.
Even worse when you are trying to explore the limits of an F80/2/3 IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #73
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Both cars are great, and anyone who argues that is being unfair.

I can only speak for myself as a guy that's really clinging to the last 7 months of my 30's. I've got friends turning 40 left and right and I'm the last man standing. This is pure speculation, not even sure I believe it myself. But...

The M2 seems to simply be a more youthful car. Its smaller, has boy racer looks, less "stuff" to play with, and tells me it's probably going to be driven by guys 25-40. The M3/4 is a more mature car. It's more expensive and more substantial (size, speed, comfort, etc). I think the age group for the F80's are 28-50. I just cant see someone my age buying and driving an M2 as their main mode of transportation. As a second car, it may be perfect. As a DD, I couldn't do it.

But I have 2 toddlers & a 105lb dog. My priorities are much different than others.

From the front I think the M2 is better looking that the M4. From the rear I cant believe the same people that designed the front had a say in the rear. I just don't like it as much as the tighter looks of the M4.

Glad this car exists and I thank BMW for building it. Cant wait to see one on a track with us this year.
      02-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #74
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I am glad BMW is making the M2. I think it's a great complement to the M3/4. Not different enough that it would make sense to have both (cough, hardly any weight savings), but it seems like it will be a fun little car.

Having said that, I have a bit of a bone to pick with those that call the M3 too much of a GT car. Anyone who owned the E92 (as did I), knows that this new chassis is a lot stiffer and handles immensely better. Sure, it's a few inches bigger, but it's lighter and the S55 is infinitely more effective on the road. Not to mention, it's the best looking car they've made aside from the E46m.

The M2 seems to only have a few things going for it, not all of which are always positives. The shorter wheelbase will certainly make it more lively, but despite what some might think, that won't improve overall handling and stability (this is the biggest driver of improved performance of the 991 vs. 997). The size is smaller, but it's almost just as heavy and meaningfully less practical. I also cringe looking at those fangs in the front bumper, but that's personal. It does seem to have a much purer exhaust sound - I wish the M3 sounded that smooth. And I love that they're offering both DCT and manual (I hope many get the manual as that's what this car's experience proposition is supposed to be all about).

Overall, I think it's a nice package. Expensive for what it is, but a well rounded package that doesn't take itself too seriously will make its owners happy. I'm eager to drive one. But I can't imaging getting one of theses over a Cayman.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #75
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian
Both cars are great, and anyone who argues that is being unfair.

I can only speak for myself as a guy that's really clinging to the last 7 months of my 30's. I've got friends turning 40 left and right and I'm the last man standing. This is pure speculation, not even sure I believe it myself. But...

The M2 seems to simply be a more youthful car. Its smaller, has boy racer looks, less "stuff" to play with, and tells me it's probably going to be driven by guys 25-40. The M3/4 is a more mature car. It's more expensive and more substantial (size, speed, comfort, etc). I think the age group for the F80's are 28-50. I just cant see someone my age buying and driving an M2 as their main mode of transportation. As a second car, it may be perfect. As a DD, I couldn't do it.

But I have 2 toddlers & a 105lb dog. My priorities are much different than others.

From the front I think the M2 is better looking that the M4. From the rear I cant believe the same people that designed the front had a say in the rear. I just don't like it as much as the tighter looks of the M4.

Glad this car exists and I thank BMW for building it. Cant wait to see one on a track with us this year.
I actually feel just the opposite. The rear seems clean to my eyes, but the front looks overdone and frankly awkward with its snub nose looks on such a short car. To each their own.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #76
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks
There is no way to exploit the performance limits of either the M4 or M2 on public roads and stay within the realm of a legally acceptable margin. Period.

To enjoy the true performance potential of either, they need to be driven on a track.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 3
      02-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #77
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uponone76 View Post

Sam has never driven a BMW he didn't think was great. He loved the M3/4, he loved the 228i, he loved the X6M, he loved the 7 Series fer chrissakes. The M2 is the shiny new toy. At least he's consistent.
Appreciate 4
      02-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #78
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I considered it but in the end I decided to stay w/ my current M3 until 2017 and get an individual.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #79
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82

Thanks
The M2 will rock you and insert you between two trees just like the F8X will. I implore you - just as others have - to get to a track and change your perspective. You're going about this the wrong way.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #80
Nothing
Roll Tide
United_States
Rep
Drives: White/red M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
There is no way to exploit the performance limits of either the M4 or M2 on public roads and stay within the realm of a legally acceptable margin. Period.

To enjoy the true performance potential of either, they need to be driven on a track.
Exactly. If you want a 2 door sports car that you can push on the streets legally, get a BRZ.
      02-17-2016, 09:03 AM   #81
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
I am glad BMW is making the M2. I think it's a great complement to the M3/4. Not different enough that it would make sense to have both (cough, hardly any weight savings), but it seems like it will be a fun little car.

Having said that, I have a bit of a bone to pick with those that call the M3 too much of a GT car. Anyone who owned the E92 (as did I), knows that this new chassis is a lot stiffer and handles immensely better. Sure, it's a few inches bigger, but it's lighter and the S55 is infinitely more effective on the road. Not to mention, it's the best looking car they've made aside from the E46m.

The M2 seems to only have a few things going for it, not all of which are always positives. The shorter wheelbase will certainly make it more lively, but despite what some might think, that won't improve overall handling and stability (this is the biggest driver of improved performance of the 991 vs. 997). The size is smaller, but it's almost just as heavy and meaningfully less practical. I also cringe looking at those fangs in the front bumper, but that's personal. It does seem to have a much purer exhaust sound - I wish the M3 sounded that smooth. And I love that they're offering both DCT and manual (I hope many get the manual as that's what this car's experience proposition is supposed to be all about).

Overall, I think it's a nice package. Expensive for what it is, but a well rounded package that doesn't take itself too seriously will make its owners happy. I'm eager to drive one. But I can't imaging getting one of theses over a Cayman.
You think so? I thought it's priced exactly where it should be. A fully loaded one comes out at $55k if I remember correctly (with a 6MT though), which leaves enough room for the M3/4, and just smokes the M235i in terms of value.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #82
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3 E46

At first I was contemplating on an M2, I did like it However I prefer my low mileage E46 M3 and enjoy it for now and ill upgrade to an M4 when my money is right. Plus the E46 M3 and M4 look light years away better then the M2
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #83
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

No, not even if my F80 was totaled today. With 2 small kids, I need the 4 doors. I wouldn't mind the lower price, but I really like my HUD, and the F80 interior. Yes, I'm a bit spoiled!
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #84
Uponone76
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Sam has never driven a BMW he didn't think was great. He loved the M3/4, he loved the 228i, he loved the X6M, he loved the 7 Series fer chrissakes. The M2 is the shiny new toy. At least he's consistent.
Haha I'm with you on that. I remeber watching his review of the M235i in Vegas and he talked about it as if it was the greatest car ever.

Personally, I love the idea of the M2. When I decided to to sell my M235i it was originally to purchase the M2. But my lack of patience (and the talk of reusing the N55 engine) took over, I test drove the M4, and the rest is history.....
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #85
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
You think so? I thought it's priced exactly where it should be. A fully loaded one comes out at $55k if I remember correctly (with a 6MT though), which leaves enough room for the M3/4, and just smokes the M235i in terms of value.
see, I think they should actually just get rid of the M235i and take a couple thousand off of the price. then let all those consumers trade up to the M2. I just don't like these half assed M models. they dilute the brand and make no sense to me.

is $55k fully loaded right? I thought you could option it to over $60k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzE46 View Post
At first I was contemplating on an M2, I did like it However I prefer my low mileage E46 M3 and enjoy it for now and ill upgrade to an M4 when my money is right. Plus the E46 M3 and M4 look light years away better then the M2
bingo. I think the e46 M3 is the best looking BMW of all time. the F80 is next, to my eyes. I was an e92 owner, and I liked the looks but never loved them.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #86
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
$55k is right on top of other new 2dr cars like gt350 and definitely in range of used cars the next level up (z06, 997.1 TT, etc)

For the bmw lineup its priced right but for what else is out there, i think it is in a tough spot.

The other thing i have to wonder is that if the size of m car is so important why not just get an e30? $55k wil get you a nice one
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #87
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
see, I think they should actually just get rid of the M235i and take a couple thousand off of the price. then let all those consumers trade up to the M2. I just don't like these half assed M models. they dilute the brand and make no sense to me.

is $55k fully loaded right? I thought you could option it to over $60k.

bingo. I think the e46 M3 is the best looking BMW of all time. the F80 is next, to my eyes. I was an e92 owner, and I liked the looks but never loved them.

I do agree, the m235i should prob have never existed and yes they do appear to dilute the M letter.
something about my E46 M3 makes me love it so much, maybe bcuz back in 2003 just seeing them gave me that WOW factor. how is the92 vs the e46, would you consider it an upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #88
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep

has anyone seen the M2 around jersey? have yet to seen in NY, would like to drive by and see it in person lmaoo
Appreciate 0